Status
Not open for further replies.
4816 miles on oil (178 hours).
9850 miles on truck/engine (342 hours).
9 months since last oil change.
2008 Ford F-250 V-10 engine.
Short trips with some towing.
This engine holds 7 quarts of oil.
I am looking at using a 4000 mile oil change interval in the future.
I have a Blackstone Lab report for the oil but I can't figure out how to post it.

It's preferable to manually type the results in anyway, so don't worry about posting an image of the report. Just use someone else's manually set format. This way, if (when) your source image goes away, the data will remain here.

4816 miles on oil (178 hours).
9850 miles on truck/engine (342 hours).
9 months since last oil change.
2008 Ford F-250 V-10 engine.
Short trips with some towing.
This engine holds 7 quarts of oil.
I am looking at using a 4000 mile oil change interval in the future.

Sample Date..............10/21/08
Miles on oil:..............4816(178 engine hours)
Oil.........................Motorcraft semi-synthetic
Grade.....................5W-20
Miles on Car:.............9850 (342 engine hours)
Make up oil:..............0

Aluminum:................5
Chromium:...............2
Iron:......................40
Copper:...................7
Lead:......................0
Tin:........................00
Molybdenum:.............49
Nickel:.....................1
Manganese:...............2
Silver:.....................0
Titanium:.................0
Potassium:................2
Boron:.....................75
Silicon:....................31
Sodium:...................28
Calcium:..................1631
Magnesium:..............30
Phosphorus:..............589
Zinc:......................701
Barium:...................0

Sus Viscosity at 210F:...49.4
cSt Viscosity at 100C:...7.10
Fashpoint in F:...........385ºF
Fuel Percentage:......... Antifreeze:................0.0
Water:.....................0.0
Insolubles:.................0.3
TBN:........................1.5

Blackstone's comments: Nothing unusual was found in the first sample from your F250. High wear and silicon are common finds in new engines, such as yours. The high iron is due to new parts breaking-in, while silicon is from sand-casted parts and sealers used when assembling your engine. Both should improve with subsequent oil changes. Universal averages for the 6.8L are based on an oil run of ~4,500 miles. The TBN was low at 1.5, which shows that this oil had little active additive remaining. 1.0 is low. Check back in another 4,000-5,000 miles to see improvements.

Strange "0" for lead, especially with the iron at a fairly high break-in level. Does this engine get by without traditional (lead) bearing inserts?

And re- Blackstone's comments, does anybody still use sand-cast parts in production engines?

I was concerned about the low TBN. I realy figured the engine was broke in at 5000 miles. I changed the first oil/filter at 1800 miles then again at 5000 miles. I would have believed any silicone from casting would have been flushed with those two oil changes.

Si often stays high for tens of thousands of miles, but I think it is more from sealants than sand casting. I doubt sand from castings would stay in that long, for one thing, and I don't think sand casting is even used on production engines for another.

I wouldn't worry about the Si. It isn't that high and I'm sure it'll go down over time. The TBN will probably hold up better in the future, too.

Originally Posted By: glennc
Strange "0" for lead, especially with the iron at a fairly high break-in level. Does this engine get by without traditional (lead) bearing inserts?

I don't think that they do. I know one poster used to get a back channel laugh when someone asserted that they had no bearing wear due to no Pb in the UOA. I think this is a green engine in that regard.
Quote:

And re- Blackstone's comments, does anybody still use sand-cast parts in production engines?

We'll what do they use? It's going to be some silicon based agent that forms some cement/ceramic like structure for the pouring.

The engine has a cast iron block and aluminum heads, I think what got the TBN down to 1.5 was the 9 months between oil changes. The truck is my wifes daily driver but that is a 3 mile trip, 6 miles a day. The engine probably don't get warmed up good on that drive. Plus part of that drive is gravel roads that get very dusty in the summer.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back