Castrol GTX 5w-30 - 5300 mi - 93 Volvo 850

Status
Not open for further replies.
The car is a 1993 Volvo 850 non turbo with auto trans. The OCI was 5,300 miles with Castrol GTX 5w30. Nothing extraordinary here, just wanted to see how the oil held up out of curiosity, and to confirm that none of the coolant the car is losing was going into the engine. Looks like that's not a problem. Didn't get a TBN because last time the oil held up so well (figured the GTX should be about as good as the Maxlife).

This will probably be the last UOA I get on this car unless some engine problems come up.

Volvo2.jpg

Impressive - 5300 miles, all single-digit wear, and still well within viscosity spec.

Good show Castrol!

Good points about the boron and insolubles. I hadn't had a chance to really look at the numbers yet. Don't know where the boron comment came from, I think Pablo may be right :)

The Castrol did well enough but it looks like the MaxLife did a bit better on flashpoint. Shoulda got the TBN. Otherwise it's a tradeoff btw iron and copper I guess. I really don't know what I'm talking about and that probably shows :) Probably a wash between the two oils at any rate.

I'm going back to MaxLife on this car anyway because I'm using it for another vehicle we have that gets less frequent changes, so might as well just buy it by the case.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back