Magnefine filter testi

Status
Not open for further replies.
Gary: I probably should have used another word than "bypass" but I don't know a single automatic in which ALL the oil flows through the cooler on it's way from the converter. I should have said that it was a not a FULL FLOW cooler, or something like that. "Bypass" does cover the general idea, however, but I'll allow myself to be beaten up over ignorance of the correct terminology.

Gary: I probably should have used another word than "bypass" but I don't know a single automatic in which ALL the oil flows through the cooler on it's way from the converter. I should have said that it was a not a FULL FLOW cooler, or something like that. "Bypass" does cover the general idea, however, but I'll allow myself to be beaten up over ignorance of the correct terminology.

Donald: You may be right and it could come down to the particle size being very small. If so, in my book, that would be a clue to not worry about it to much. But it's not my book is it :)< )? The answer might then be the spin-on filter you were considering, which can be had with a finer filter than 25 microns.

Is the aluminum from the converter wearing? How about tin?

The "before" UOA had 50 ppm of aluminum, roughly 2 ppm/1000 miles. Then I drive another 2200 miles (also install the Magnefine) and the aluminum is the same. It should have been 4 ppm higher if things are linear. The bulk of the 2200 miles was before I installed the Magnefine.

Donald: Not much aluminum in the torque converter... at least the ones I'm familiar with. The stators are sometimes cast aluminum. We'd need someone very familiar with your trans to tell us. My thought are that the material could be bushing/thrust washer related in some part of the trans. Anyway, keep in mind this is a 200,000 mile unit, so I doubt "linear" will apply to anything. At that kind of mileage, the transmission doesn't owe you a thing! I'm not sure of the usefulness, to you mainly, of monitoring it so closely, tough I guess the rest of use have learned something about cooler line filtration.If you apply your current regimen and detailed thinking to a new car or a rebuilt trans, it will probably outlive you!

It's hard to determine if the high Al is from primary shedding or secondary abrasion. The Magnefine should eliminate really big chunks (stuff that may just be getting ejected from resident bodies due to age or whatever
21.gif
) ..but there's surely a window of vulnerability in the
If you've got room for something like a EaBp90/MG/Frantz ..you can rig it like this:

In terms of the cheap Amsoil setup, you right about at the cost of a Permacool spin on setup after Summit or Jeg's gets done with you ..and it should last you for years. You can also get hydraulic mounts from Northerntool and there you can get finer than 25um nominal.

BP80A-EA still costs $14.50 (it's the same retail or PC/dealer)
EABP90-EA is $36.65 list and $28.15 PC

That, a few tee's and hose barbs ... some hose
21.gif

Originally Posted By: Jim Allen
Donald: Not much aluminum in the torque converter... at least the ones I'm familiar with. The stators are sometimes cast aluminum. We'd need someone very familiar with your trans to tell us. My thought are that the material could be bushing/thrust washer related in some part of the trans. Anyway, keep in mind this is a 200,000 mile unit, so I doubt "linear" will apply to anything. At that kind of mileage, the transmission doesn't owe you a thing! I'm not sure of the usefulness, to you mainly, of monitoring it so closely, tough I guess the rest of use have learned something about cooler line filtration.If you apply your current regimen and detailed thinking to a new car or a rebuilt trans, it will probably outlive you!

Jim - its a Toyota tranny and owes me at least another 50K miles. Anyway I was using the before and after UOAs to see how well the Magnefine filter might work. I use that knowledge to help maintain my other and more expensive vehicles. This vehicle was free to me as I got it when my Dad passed away. I have put close to 100K on it. The only items I have spent money on are tires and an expensive to install ignition coil.

I am thinking I may add some Auto-Rx and run 1000 miles and exchange the fluid with new Amsoil ATF. Anyone have any thoughts on an Auto-Rx cleaning of the tranny clogging a Magnefine, if not clogging, then mostly filling it to the point where it needs to be changed during the new ATF fluid exchange.

If you're not going to replace it, remove it until you flush out the old fluid. If it was a $3 spin-on ..
21.gif
..a $20+ Magnefine
21.gif

Reply from Magnefine:
(I also inquired about the new all metal performance filter)

Donald,
Thanks for the feedback.
The micron rating of the cross hatched paper element in the Magnefine is rated at 35microns. This is similar to most Engine oil filters.

Transmission " screens'/pan filters are usually 60-100 microns.The Magnefine at 35microns does not restict flow any more than adding approx 1 foot of hose into a line so it is insignificant, compared to adding an auxillary trans cooler which is sometime specified.

As for the results you have achieved from oil analysis.I am very surprised !

All the research shows that over 50% of the metal contaminants in transmission fluid are IRON and our filter is used at OEM level by Ford and Chrysler in order to remove the damaging Fe that is between 5-15 microns...the size that jams with the film of oil which is cushions the fast moving parts.
Whilst the magnet will not remove Al or Tin as they are non ferrous, normally these numbers as well as the copper drop due to the fact that " the grinding paste" that tears out these softer metals has been reduced in the fluid system.

Your numbers of the amount of flow thru the system are right and after that many passes the powerful magnet should have lowered the Fe particle counts and percentages.

Sampling can sometimes be an issue, as you can understand that the best way is from a tap in the line as this is providing a constant flow of fluid. If the sample was taken from a " tube and sucker pump" down the trans fluid filler tube then it may have been pushed into metal deposits in the bottom of the trans which may not be circulating in the system.
As you can imaging the sample taken this way ' tube & sucker" is also only a 100 ml and can therfore be inaccurate.

Alternatively, the transmission is so " out of wack " and may be making masses of Fe as well as Al and this is what is being sampled.

The all metal filter has the same internals as the plastic Magnefine.The matal filter casing is made for the performance market and come with -6 fittings.

I hope this is of benefit, I can send you Oil analysis samples of vehicles which have show dramatic reduction in just short distances after installing the Magnefine, so i am confident the product works effectively.

On the surface, a detailed reply and it offers some reasonable possibilities. I guess your next step is some way to turn your [censored] detector on, perhaps by modifying some part of your test regimen. Another possibility might be a defective filter... maybe stuck in bypass or something.

BTW, my interest is that I was half a step away from installing a Magnafine onto my low miles F-150 when I started following your thread. It's a simple, inexpensive and effective solution. The other options would be more elaborate and expensive setups and I'm a "mostest for the leastest" kinda guy. I'm watching to see how your situation resolves. Magnafine earned a point with their reply to you.

Delivered?? I imagine it's fine if you're getting something else...otherwise it's $20 at Napa.

Gary - I think the filter is more like $15 from our sponsor. Unsure of the shipping. Maybe it only makes sense if you order a few. Most vehicles take a 3/8" so a few spare might be reasonable.

I still feel the Magnefine is much better than nothing but maybe not as good as a spin-on hydraulic filter (which may have more flow resistance).

I have not concluded why my vehicle had such high aluminum and the iron was not reduced when I added the Magnefine.

I am cleaning with Auto-Rx for the next 1500 miles then an exchange with new Amsoil ATF and a new Magnefine. Then 25K miles latter I will take a UOA and report.

Of course the vehicle has over 200K miles so who knows what can happen.

My inline Magnefine filter is leaking, actually was because i removed it.

I installed it 5 months ago, ~7000 km, along with additional cooler with fan, and fluid flush. And just recently i discovered that there is a leak, at threaded connection , under the Magnefine sticker.

Took some pics if anyone is interested:

The car is Sterling 827 , acura legend transmission.
As you can see the filter didn't got dirty, but that magnetic ring is pretty messy, lots of sludge sticked to it. I don't know what to think about it.
I'm running on Mopar ATF+4 , maybe it causes more gear wear?

That magnet seems to be very good idea and it definitely works well, except that leak
frown.gif
I also have another filter, and i was thinking maybe i should applay some RTV silicone to the its thread prior installing on a car?

They've changed a few things around since I tore one apart. On mine the filter itself was metal mesh reinforced and the bypass valve was a thimble type thing with a separate spring. It was an older model though ..from the late 90's.

I have bought from said non sponsor in the past. Sponsor price looks pretty decent. Shipping seems resonable.

I will just order from the sponsor......Keep the support money flowing in.................

Originally Posted By: towncar
My inline Magnefine filter is leaking, actually was because i removed it.

I installed it 5 months ago, ~7000 km, along with additional cooler with fan, and fluid flush. And just recently i discovered that there is a leak, at threaded connection , under the Magnefine sticker.

Took some pics if anyone is interested:

The car is Sterling 827 , acura legend transmission.
As you can see the filter didn't got dirty, but that magnetic ring is pretty messy, lots of sludge sticked to it. I don't know what to think about it.
I'm running on Mopar ATF+4 , maybe it causes more gear wear?

That magnet seems to be very good idea and it definitely works well, except that leak
frown.gif
I also have another filter, and i was thinking maybe i should applay some RTV silicone to the its thread prior installing on a car?

If it looks like a defect, I would contact Magnefine.

I have noticed seepage on some of the ones I have installed but it seems fairly minor. So I just thought it was from the hoses.

Maybe it is the Magnifines, I hope not............

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back