Oil Level Sensor On Kohler Engine

Status
Not open for further replies.
My Dad has a 20 Horsepower Kohler engine on his Cub Cadet, he has this stupid oil level sensor. I changed the oil a few weeks ago and now it is cutting out on him.

On the dash near the steering wheel the oil level monitor is coming up, he said when he checked the oil 1 time it was a little high then a little low.

When I changed his oil I put in 1 ounce of Auto-Rx, but I do not think this is the problem. Is the problem that with a mower that has this dumb sensor, the oil level has to be exact. Any help would be appreciated.

I wish I could just disconnect this dumb sensor, but that is probably doubtful.

You can cut the wires to it and it won't bother you again. It's a float switch that it normally open, and closes when there is no oil.

exranger06, you are saying I can cut the wires to it, there is no governor or anything else connected too it. Has anyone on here actually cut the wire.

Last edited:
Hmmm... I'm pretty familiar with the Cub Cadet line and I don't know of any lawn/garden tractor with an oil level sensor on the dash?? I know the current 1000, 2K and zero turn series machines will flash a 'change oil' indicator icon at set time intervals (50, 100hrs, etc..) and the light resets itself after a few hours use.

Joel

Last edited:
I replaced the oil level sensor on my Kohler back in April. I tested it out by trying to crank the engine with no oil. During my tests, I found that if I left the sensor disconnected, the engine would crank. If I shorted the 2 wires together, the engine would not crank and the oil light would come on.

exranger06, where is this oil level sensor on the Kohler Engine.

How did you know your sensor was going bad, there is only 40 hours on this machine.

I did put a little bit of a bigger oil filter on there, I will have to drive it and if it kicks out add some oil, so the oil light comes on when it is low.

Your engine might be very different from mine, since mine doesn't have an oil filter. But it is located on the back of the block right near the bottom. I replaced it because it started coming loose and leaking oil. I was originally just gonna take it out, put some teflon tape or thread sealer on it and reinstall, but ended up breaking the wires off of it while removing it so I replaced it. It's an expensive part ($80) and I don't think the new one is even working, since the engine cranked with no oil when it was hooked up.
mad.gif
At least it's plugging up that hole in the block nicely, and no more leaks!

Mine has the oil filter, I disconnected the oil level sensor and my Dad was able to drive around for 20 miutes and it cut out again, the only other thing I can think of is to disconnect the wire that goes to the coil.

I think this wire controls all of the safety swithches.

I think I may no what the problem is, I went and looked in the owner's manual and it says if the engine cuts out it could be fuel related.

1) Dirt in fuel line
2) Bad fuel filter
3) Bad fuel

I want to talk about the bad fuel because my Dad uses a METAL gas can to fill his gas tank. I told Dad that using a metal gas can is oil school for the following reasons:

1) Since the gas can is metal condensation can build up.
2) Metal gas cans may rust on the inside and let off tiny pieces of junk.

My plan is to drain the tank and change the fuel filter and get him a plastic gas can. Let me know what you guys think.

I wanted to post that the mower starts every time, it runs for 5 to 7 minutes and then cuts off. It will restart and run for a minute and then cuts off.

If it uses a carb with a float in it the needle valve that controls gas flow to the bowl may be slightly clogged, just enough that the gas supply can't be replinished fast enough for the engine to run. Just take the bowl off and hit the valve area with some brake cleaner. That should do it.

If it is slightly clogged, why is it running for 5 to 7 minutes and then cutting off, on the dash there was an oil sensor warning, meaning the word oil was flashing. I disconnect it, and it does the same thing.

This mower does not have a normal bowl on the bottom of the carburetor, it has a wire going into it.

Originally Posted By: c3po
I wanted to post that the mower starts every time, it runs for 5 to 7 minutes and then cuts off. It will restart and run for a minute and then cuts off.

When starting it's cold and running for 5-7 minutes something is heating up. Your coil could be going bad. When the engine cuts off check the spark plug if it's firing.

The coil could be going bad, it only has 43 hours on it, how can this be happening.

It happen to a 12 year old Kohler engine. Very similar runs 5 minutes and it kicks out. I checked the spark plugs and it wasn't firing. Changed the coil and it works fine. Coil heats up usually a sign the coil is on it's last leg when it kicks out after 5 minutes. Defective coil? Your case sounds very similar to the defected coil which was on the Kohler.

This machine is under warranty since my Dad bought this thing in April 2008. He still thinks it is the oil level sensor. Someone told him that even if you disconnect the sensor you can still have problems.

Once this thing is fixed I hope to find out how to disconnect all of those sensors. I am going out tommorow to get a new coil for my walk behind mower since they may have my Dad's mower for a few weeks or a month.

At least here in Maryland we have had our 1st freeze and it is going down into the mid 30's tonite. My main thing now is to blow the leaves.

If for some reason I cannot get my walk behind mower going I will just use my next door neighbor's mower.

I had similar symptoms this summer with my Kawasaki powered Exmark zero turn. It turned out to be a plugged fuel filter (relatively new). Enough gas would seep through while shut down to allow it to run for 5 minutes, then shut down.

Don't assume that the problem is tied to the recent oil change, causing you to rule out other things (I've learned this the VERY hard and embarrassing way!).

Engine no go equals: no fuel, no spark, no compression, and/or no timing.

Could be a nearly clogged fuel filter.
Carb bowl runs out of gas and engine dies. Wait a few minutes and carb bowl refills. Repeat.

Have you checked the spark IMMEDIATELY after it quits?
Does he reposition himself after 7 minutes and trigger the seat switch?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back