03 S2000 Amsoil 0W30, 30,726 miles w/bypass

Status
Not open for further replies.
Here's my latest UOA on my '03 Honda S2000 using an Amsoil BMK-13 bypass filter and a prelube pump. I went the entire 30,726 miles with the SDF-15 full-flow filter and the EABP-90 bypass filter. These were mostly highway miles.

9-08UOA.jpg

Here are the details of my setup: http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Board=34&Number=762080

Thanks, Pablo.

I'm using the stock air filter for this vehicle. I replaced it approximately 15,000 miles ago. It didn't seem to increase silicon levels.

I am an "Automotive Development Metallurgist" working for a major steel company, and spend a lot of time traveling to the auto companies & tier-1 suppliers & stampers. This car used to be my weekend car, but with the price of gas it has become my daily driver.

If you look at the rate of consumption per 10,000 miles it doesn't look like it increased...it actually decreased a bit as far as the math appears to lead us, but again we are only looking at a 2 dimensional representation of an overall system. Yes make-up oil definitely does sweeten things especially if a large amount is added close to the sampling date.

These numbers at 30K are greeeeeeeat. Keep going... 35K next? Even if you add 4 quarts during a 35K run this is impressive. I believe Blackstone allows for some lea-way and that is why they ask how much top-off oil was used.

Nice numbers,cool car. What is the quart capacity of this system? Thanks.

With this setup, my system holds 7.5 quarts of oil. This F20C engine is known to burn some oil - my oil consumption is pretty decent considering that this engine redlines at 9000 RPM.

My last top-off was about 5000 miles before the oil change. I'm sure it affects the numbers, but that's not a concern to me. My reason for getting a UOA is to make sure the oil is still healthy (adequate TBN) and is still doing its job (low wear metals). With this knowledge, I'm comfortable with 30,000 mile OCIs with my current driving habits.

Very nice UOA slalom44.It's too bad you couldn't have saved this car to be your weekend warrior and drive it like it was meant to be driven. My only question though is is your wife a chiropractor?

Very interesting,thanks. Topping the oil up is a + on a 30K run. Refreshes the fill. Can't argue with those low wear numbers. Wonder why more mfgs. don't just design a larger sump for all new cars?

That is really impressive. My 06 SI (8000 redline, 8300 fuel cutoff) consumes about 1 quart every 3500-5000 miles, of SSO that is (consumption was higher with other oils).

I'm getting my SSO to blackstone right now after 14,500 miles. No bypass filter. It's great to see what it can do in such an engine with bypass filtration and extra capacity...and even low make-up (1 quart every 15,000 miles? That's not make-up, that's hardcore low consumption!)

Joe

I'd say keep on keeping on...your lube system is good to go. Just keep performing scheduled UOA's so you can catch the occasional injector dump or coolant leak.

Thanks for the compliments. I'm glad Indy and Joe chimed in - you guys understand this car! Indy - you're right. A few hours driving in an S2000 can get to you.....

Joe - I'm looking forward to seeing your UOA. I didn't say it above, but I actually used SSO and a few quarts of TSO for this OCI. You can tell by looking at the changes in the levels of Ca, Mg, P, & Zn. I would expect you to have excellent results as well.

Is this Flashpoint normal for UOAs? 430 seems like a good flashpoint for normal OCIs and great for an extended OCI.

The flashpoint is high because I do a lot of highway driving. I'm pleasantly surprised it's that high. This is unusually high from what I have seen.

I used 3.5 quarts of makeup oil.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back