Bourbon

Status
Not open for further replies.
Who's a fan of this most American of spirits?
34.gif

Picked up a bottle of Buffalo Trace, enjoyed a glass on the rocks after dinner tonight. Good stuff.

I enjoy some good Scotch or Irish whisky from time to time, no doubt. But bourbon is something I also love. There's definitely some companies out there making some quality stuff these days. It's something that's managed to crawl up off the bottom shelf and make a name for itself.

Bourbon - Not just rotten plastic bottle alcoholic swill anymore.

Very much a fan of the B here! I enjoy Makers Mark, Knob Creek, Bookers and my sleeper pick is the 100 proof Old Forester- a very affordable high quality beverage. These are consumed on occasions of celebration over a few cubes of ice.

I always enjoyed George Dickel and Jack Daniels. I never had a problem with alcohol and never in my life been drunk, but I decided to give it all up in 1992. At that time I had a fifth of George and Jack that I had never opened. Both are sitting on the top shelve of the bookcase. I still however buy small bottles of Kentucky bourbon or Tennessee whisky to add in bar b que sauces that I make.

Woodford Reserve and Wild Turkey Rare Breed are excellent. So good in fact, that I've gone cold turkey off the sauce because I like it too much.

As far as Irish Whiskey goes, Bushmills Black Bush is probably the smoothest whiskey I've ever had.

Wayne I do enjoy the turkey, and woodford does have a unique flavor profile. Black Bush definitely gets the job done as does johnnie walker blue label.

I find that I have to spend a lot more money to get a good quality, smooth tasting Irish or Scotch whiskey, than I do to get the same level of quality in a bourbon. I like most bonded offerings. Jim & Coke makes a nice mixed drink. Black Jack on the rocks for sipping.

As stated earlier, I've stopped drinking (just until the end of the year, for now - for health reasons). That's my only goal so far. After my annual first-bike-ride-of-the-year on Jan 1, 2009, I plan to have a celebratory glass or two of a GOOD Bourbon, or possibly Black Bush (Irish). I'm looking forward to it. Until then, here's to clean livin'

Sorry Wayne...I didn't mean to bring back pleasant memories of the hot stuff! Hang in there buddy...I hope you get your vitals in line by not hitting the sauce.

Originally Posted By: sprintman
Which ones as money is irrelevant

In that case, I'd have to give the nod to Black bush, even though it's Irish, not Bourbon.

I've never had anything more expensive than Black bush, so I can't comment on anything higher in price. The last bottle of BB I purchased was $35 for 750 ml. Not bottom of the barrel, but not up there with the big boys, either.

$35 is cheap as...

Cheap as.? I'm not sure what you mean.

...Anything better?

Everyone's taste is different. Only way to know is to try for yourself.

Might try Gentleman Jack, it's a very smooth bourbon. I like it neat or sometimes with just a splash of water.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back