Toyota OEM 90915-YZZF2

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey guys.... I cut open one of my Toyota OEM filters - 90915-YZZF2.. I am semi impressed, but my only concern since their design does not have end caps, they glue the ends, and the one side with the presures release value and spring, it does not look like an oil tight seal at this end..

What do you guys think??

2834351960_2ba1cfcabb.jpg

2833514477_c1d0485541.jpg

2833514071_eaa7c10667.jpg

Overall, it looks like a fairly well made filter.

Like to get your fedback!

Last edited:
An older HAMP was constructed exactly the same way. I wondered the same thing. I can't see the process of gluing the edges/ends together. That poster said that he was easily able to pass a thin rod through the end of the pleat. If you can do the same, then it's no filter at all. the oil will just bypass the media all together. The polymer ring only goes out so far. I think it should look like this
21.gif

A600215158MAN.JPG

I fully agree..

Wonder how Toyota would spec out their manufacturing too such an OEM..Would Toyota only be concerned with overall performance of the filter, or would they be involved to the point of design?

Originally Posted By: Eddie
We must be missing something as Toyota does not sell shabby OEM products in my opinion.

Forgot the photo with the anti drain seal

2833513957_de55773024.jpg

Last edited:
62" x 2" = 124 sq inch... Good, bad, or fair??

thanks guys...

Originally Posted By: toytundranator
No antidrainback valve?

Pull open the filter element and measure the element surface area.

They seem ok, and I've never had problems, but I'm going to start using Napa Gold or Bosch filters in the winter, and after my OEMs are gone. (Silicone vs Nitrile drainback valve) I'm going with 6mo/5k mile OCIs and almost always get to 6 months before the 5k miles.

Originally Posted By: Gary Allan
An older HAMP was constructed exactly the same way. I wondered the same thing. I can't see the process of gluing the edges/ends together. That poster said that he was easily able to pass a thin rod through the end of the pleat. If you can do the same, then it's no filter at all. the oil will just bypass the media all together. The polymer ring only goes out so far. I think it should look like this
21.gif

A600215158MAN.JPG

I agree, the one in this thread looks defective?

Well, it looks defectively engineered. That's what it's supposed to look like. I suppose there could be a process that, while the media was accordion'd tight, some thermal press sealed the ends (or in some other manner) ..but it sure looks like that would be a manufacturing challenge (outside of something like clothing - where stitching would "hem" the pleats) ..but what do I know
21.gif

Well, it looks defectively engineered. That's what it's supposed to look like. I suppose there could be a process that, while the media was accordion'd tight, some thermal press sealed the ends (or in some other manner) ..but it sure looks like that would be a manufacturing challenge (outside of something like clothing - where stitching would "hem" the pleats) ..but what do I know
21.gif

OK, but the pictures posted by the OP (which are different from the ones you posted) look like the ends of the pleats are NOT sealed?

Overkill.. They are sealed, but about approx 3/8 inch out from the centre only...

Originally Posted By: OVERK1LL
21.gif

OK, but the pictures posted by the OP (which are different from the ones you posted) look like the ends of the pleats are NOT sealed?

I would return these to Toyota and get something that you know is sealed on the ends. In taking that filter apart to measure the media surface, you should be able to tell if this unsealed area of the end of the pleats flows directly to the center tube unfiltered. If that is the case, this is surely a bad design or poor quality control. Interesting...

These filters are fine.

Here is a few photos of one that has gone 5k miles;

img2797a5mh.jpg

img2798a9za.jpg

img2800a5tp.jpg

If you cut them open along the element, they are sealed further down.

I'm sure that Toyota would sell filters that would fail...
smirk2.gif

If this filter is anything like Toyota's OEM cartridge filters, those pleats are glued on the inside. They just LOOK like they're not sealed.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: OVERK1LL
21.gif

I agree. the images that I posted were to show how I think it should look as opposed to how the OP's filter (and a HAMP of distant BITOG past) looked.

Originally Posted By: Samilcar
If this filter is anything like Toyota's OEM cartridge filters, those pleats are glued on the inside. They just LOOK like they're not sealed.

I'm sure that you can apply the glue when they're a sheet, then do the thermal (or not) curing in the accordion process ..but when this same process was used with the HAMP (of identical design), the user was able to pass a thin rod easily to the interior of the fold to the center core without resistance.

It's just a window of vulnerability in my view. The "whole end" polymer assures that this cannot happen.

If this was such a trick process, would we not see the metal endcaps (and cardboard for that matter) shrink to the interior? It would seem a sensible evolution. Even the Ecore uses a full fabric endcap.

Bill, do us a favor (or the OP for that matter) and open up the media to full length to show us the integrity of the bonding of the pleat ends. There should be a line of rips and tears that travel the entire span of the length on both ends. Any gaps ..are leaks.

This has me worried, I am currently using PureOne and was considering going back to OEM... What is the PureOne construction like?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back