B. and S. Oil Filters: Better Ones Around?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I guess the subject says it all, I am looking for oil filters (I guess air too) for less than the $12 or $20 Lowe's would charge me. Is there an automotive filter that will fit? I have a 26 HP Extended Life Series V-Twin, essentially the same filter as everything else. I used to work at Lowe's, every engine with a filter had the same filter as far as I could tell.

IIRC, the thread and gasket matches the Fram PH3614/3600 filter sizes and their clones. I am not suggesting the actual Fram filters, however. The 3614 size is the shorter of the 2. If you have the room, and are not afraid of a longer filter getting knocked off, get a Motorcraft FL400S for about 3.50 or $4. It is the larger size and is well-made for the money.

Put the part number on the filter into the cross reference search on wix.com - bet there is a Wix and a NAPA Gold that fits.

I've done this trick on two John Deere lawn tractors and don't pay the $12 for the Kohler/Deere filters anymore. You can get great prices at site sponsor fleetfilter too. Think the ones on the Deeres were like $3.50 each. :)

later,
b

There are a ton of threads on this very topic, but like bmwtechguy says, a Motorcaft FL400 or equiv will fit nearly all of them. Some will even take a Fram PH8A (or equiv) since it's the same threads. I run FL400's on my Kohler Command V-twin.

I use the same Wix oil filter as 'Wish' on my 16kW Generac generator. Definitely don't keep buying the overpriced, & possible underperforming, OEM labeled filters & purchased from the lowest bidder.

Ok here are 3 options for filters with much better than 29 micron rating: first Amsoil EaO57 has an ABSOLUTE micron rating at 15 microns (much better than nominal rating). But then you are back up to that price you did not want to pay, about $15-16. At least you are getting the best filter that you can get that will fit, although a bit taller than the original. Mobil 1 oil filter M1-102 is another very good equivalent filter for about $10. Purolator PL10241 is another very good, efficient filter and is about $6. I still like the Motorcraft FL400s, though a couple inches longer and costs only a few dollars.

What oil pressure are this Briggs and Kohler engines running?
Anyone know?

Just had the thought that they may be low pressure and low volume oiling system and an overly restrictive filter could do
more harm than good.

Wix and Purolator both have direct replacements for the B&S engines. The Purolator is a HD type filter. Both cost less than $10.00.

3/4-16 thread; 2.734/2.430/0.223" gasket - there are a bunch around that'll fit that application - you're limited primarily by length.
Puro 10241 = $3.00 +/- at Advance Auto;
SuperTech ST3614 = $3.00 at Wally's.
MC FL400S as noted $3.50 - 4.00 at Wally's. Almost 5" long, might not fit if you have a length restriction.
WIX 51056/NAPA 1056 (2.7" long) or the 51348/1348 which is 3.5" long (the cross for Kohler's "long" filter #52-050-02) run around $6 or $7, depending on where you find 'em, and offer a 20 micron rating.

Nothing wrong with a Fram ToughGard. Just stuck a TG3614 on my 25 HP Kohler. It did cost $5.98, but that's better than the $12 at most places for the Kohler brand.

I just installed a ST3600 and 2qts of ST synthetic 10w30 in my Kohler Command 20. Yeah I went all out on that one!

Joel

Quote:
2qts of ST synthetic 10w30 in my Kohler Command 20.

Wow, you did go for the gusto!!
banana2.gif

Sometimes I wonder if all our concern actually matters. My neighbor hasn't changed the oil in any of his lawn equipment EVER (10+ years!!), and his seems to work just fine.
blush.gif

Does your Kohler smoke like a fiend if you shut it off when parked on a bit of a slant, then re-start? Mine clears out all the mosquitos for about a 1 mile radius when I do.
54.gif

RWEST said:
Quote:

Does your Kohler smoke like a fiend if you shut it off when parked on a bit of a slant, then re-start? Mine clears out all the mosquitos for about a 1 mile radius when I do.
54.gif

No, it starts pretty clean. The Kohler Command in my Cub Cadet is a horizontal shaft, so the cylinders sit up higher than the sump. I know what you mean though. We used to have a JD GT262 with a vert shaft Kawi 17hp. It would smoke badly on startup if parked nose down. Startle the heck out of you!

Joel

"Briggs/Kohler type" 3/4" X 16 threads 8-11 PSI Bypass Gasket 2.734"OD X2 .430"ID 0.226" thick
Length" Wix Purolator Hastings Kohler B&S Baldwin MotorCraft AC Walmart JD
2.3" 57035 NA LF503 2805001 492932 B7165 NA NA? NA ?
2.7" 51056 L35310 LF302 1205001 492056 B1410 NA PF2210 NA AM125424
3.4" 51348 L10241 LF157 5205002 491056 BT223 FL793 PF53 ST3614 AM101207
4.8" 51516 L20195 LF134 NA NA B243 FL400A PFL400A ST3600 ?

WIX makes NAPA Gold and CarQuest Blue filters. (identical except for the paint job)
For a NAPA filter, use the last 4 digits of the Wix#
For a CarQuest filter, replace the first 2 digits of the Wix# with 85.
Example. Wix 51348 becomes CarQuest 85348 or NAPA Gold 1348.

I had heard from a local service tech that he had seen a "misapplication" of an auto oil filter on a B&S Vanguard engine.

The results of a more restrictive filter was a cool oil temp and a very hot engine. Oil starvation.

Do we have any Non-OEM filters that are confirmed good cross-over applications?

I am using the Yellow 2X Life B&S filters. I wonder who makes them and what the micron cutoff is.

Pete I highly doubt what ever that service tech saw was caused by an oil filter micron rating. Any of the filters listed in this thread haven proven to work perfectly. Same with all those listed by Bill.

Joel

Last edited:
I read more on the subject and there does appear to be a lot of non-OEM users doing very well.

FYI: While using a B&S Yellow long life oil filter and 20W-50 Redline HI-Perf oil I did a Blackstone analysis after about 50 hours:

NO wear numbers at all appeared. The viscosity was a bit low; no gas in the oil. SUS Vis@210*F 84.4; SUS Vis @ 100*C 16.62.

My only point is the B&S Yellow filters apparently do work well too. I have been paying $9.95 ea and change the oil November and July. The engine is 17yrs old and never a problem.

The B&S Vanguards are known to shear down oil a bit I understand.

Last edited:
Quote:
The results of a more restrictive filter was a cool oil temp and a very hot engine. Oil starvation.

Most (all?) of those filters listed are also used in automotive applications - I can't imagine a B&S needing more oil flow than an auto engine.
54.gif
Not saying it isn't true, just seems a bit doubtful....

BTW - Excellent, Bill.
I'd love to have a list of every popular brand of oil filter by thread size/height/width/gasket/flow rate/bypass/micron rating/part #. Some day I'll get around to it, I guess.
21.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back