Donaldson Endurance vs. Amsoil EaO

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello,

can anyone tell whether a Donaldson ELF7349 is (100%) equivalent to an Amsoil EaO-80 filter. Somebody told me the EaO-80 is the better filter. I would guess they both have:

1. The patented Syntec media
2. An ISO4548-12 efficiency of 98.7%@15 and 50%@7 micron.
3. A one year/25.000 mile change interval when used with Amsoil fully synthetic HDEO (same capacity??)

The EaO-80 might be produced by Amsoil, using the Donaldson Syntec manufacturing process. Aren't all "15 micron" Syntec medias the same then?

My theory is that the EaO-80 was introduced to complete the EaO line, offering an EaO for all of the three popular diesel pick-up trucks i.e. Chevy Duramax, Dodge ram, Ford Powerstroke?

Thanks for your interest,

E.D.

Last edited:
I believe they have the same media, not positive. However, the Amsoil filters are generally made by Wix, rather than Donaldson.

That could be the difference between the two.

I think it would be interesting to compare the FleetGuard Stratopores to the Amsoil EaOs for filtration performance.

Amsoil produces their own media under license for the SYNTEQ process. Wix produces at least some of the filters ..but I doubt that there's any straight "rebadge'ing". I mean, Donaldson produces every filter offered in the Amsoil lineup. One would think that it would be far simpler to just have a run of Amsoil badged Donaldson's (even those that are not currently offered in a SYNTEQ media) than to purchase a license to produce your own media. I could surely be wrong.

StrataPore vs. Synteq:

For this particular application, the EaO and the ELF have the better absolute efficiency (15 micron). The StrataPore filter is believed to have something between 20 and 25 micron @ 98.7%. However, when it comes to 5 micron efficiency, StrataPore might (or might not) be superior. I guess the StrataPore filter is less restrictive.

ELF vs. EaO:

I don’t know whether this is a copyrighted picture, therefore I post the link.

Amsoil EaO

The internal parts of the EaO shown look VERY similar to the ELF's that I have sitting, including the base plate, end cap and center tube, the ELF7349 has no ADBV and no by pass valve though.

I would claim the base plate to be "Donaldson style", the P550318 we use here has it too. At least some of the EaOs are not made by wix, but who knows:

Wix doesn't like "Donaldson style" base plates.

If they wanted, Amsoil could even have Wix to produce a high performance filter for them, using Wix's "XD-55" media. For some of their "XD" heavy-duty filters, Wix states a nominal efficiency of 5 micron:

51748XD

The idea of the thread was to ask if it would be reasonable to persuade my parents to order an EaO-80( "a fancy filter from America") instead of buying the ELF7349 locally. It's for their Case tractor.

Can anyone provide data on the EaO-80 and the ELF7349, such as capacity and weight?

E.D.

Last edited:
I don't have holding capacity (in gms) for either filter. I'd say that price and suggested longevity would be my guide in which I purchased.

Every Amsoil Eao-80 box I've had, had a Donaldson Elf-7349 filter inside of it. I do not know if this was from the supplier or my dealer. I've always conceived these filters to be the same and have no problems using the donaldson.

Last edited:
Thanks, that's good news for me, Harley. Although it is a little disappointing for some first time users of the EaO-80.

Do you suspect your dealer to change around things?

I actually feel much better now!

It wouldn't really make sence to me, if Amsoil offered two more or less equal filters for one application, with identical beta ratios and change intervals.

Like I said, I'm not sure, maybe Gary would know. I just always assumed they were the same and using a bypass filter I wouldn't be taxing the holding capacity of these filters.

I do have a uoa that I had a particle count done when using a fleetguard stratapore and the results were quite astounding. I'd say that your numbers of 98.7% 25 micron sounds about right.

I would think that this would be filler stock until labeling or production came around to being.

When you put the Elf-7349 into the Amsoil xref you (naturally) get the EaO80 ...and the WIX 51607 as Amsoil's "standard part" w/link and the 57620XE which Amsoil doesn't offer for sale.

One has to imagine that there's some agreement in there somewhere on who gets what.

And when you put the EaO80 into the "heavy-duty equipment" ref, they show you the ELF7349 as "premium" and the P558616 as "standard". No EaO for HD-application?

The big boys have to use the inferior ELF!

Until a technical difference can be proven, I am gonna settle for the ELF7349, even if it is manufactured at a different plant.

Harley, the ELF is "finer" but more restrictive than the StrataPore filter. Doesn't matter to us, we us the 6-cyl. engine's filter on a 4-cyl.

Gary, are you interested in an overseas shipment later on? I may need some 3/4''-16 thread EaOs and an EaA. Or, is there a European dealer you can direct me to?

Well, I imagine that this is the distribution agreement between Amsoil and Donaldson. You do recognize that this is a cooperative in marketing, don't you? Amsoil doesn't do HD beyond consumer level. Donaldson doesn't do SYNTEC below a commercial/industrial level. Real easy for me to see.
21.gif

It would make no sense to overlap "completely" into the others core market and market them from the same outlet. As it is, Donaldson has two filter in their entire line that breach the consumer usage base.

This is done all the time in filter sales on a commercial basis. Here the exception is that you have clearer divisions of target market. Wix doesn't make every filter out there. Neither does Donaldson ..nor Purolator ..or Fram. But when you walk into an account, you have to be able to provide them all.

The main difference here is that you're offering upper tier products as opposed to "fits OEM spec's".

Relax Gary,

I wasn't trying to make fun of Amsoil or the relabeling of an ELF or so. And yes, it is clear that "competing" companies make filters for each other, I guess even Fleetguard and Donaldson share some of their products.

The point is, that somebody from the U.S. told me, that the EaO will keep the oil cleaner than the Endurance.

Just as a side note, the guy has an Amsoil dealer in his family. And noooo, that surely has ZERO influence on his recommendation.

As I said, data may enlighten whether there is a difference between EaO80 and ELF7349. Until then, we choose the ELF because of the availability to us.

Also, I was serious about this overseas order, do you want me to PM you?

Well, I wasn't upset ..although admittedly it can surely sound defensive if my blood sugar is off kilter at the moment. Also keep in mind that others are viewing the discussion and a broader post tends to answer some questions before their asked.

PM- I'll see if there is a dealer in Europe. If not, you may have someone with an APO ..and there's outright shipping if all else fails to do it on the cheap(er).

Originally Posted By: Gary Allan
Amsoil produces their own media under license for the SYNTEQ process. Wix produces at least some of the filters ..but I doubt that there's any straight "rebadge'ing". I mean, Donaldson produces every filter offered in the Amsoil lineup. One would think that it would be far simpler to just have a run of Amsoil badged Donaldson's (even those that are not currently offered in a SYNTEQ media) than to purchase a license to produce your own media. I could surely be wrong.

HUH? Donaldson makes the Nanofiber media for Amsoil. Or are you saying Donaldson lets Amsoil make the Donaldson patented media? This is the same media thats in the Donaldson High Endurance filters that Amsoil sold prior to the EaO filters being produced.

Last edited:
I believe that Amsoil purchases the nanofiber media from Donaldson and has the filter built under it's licensing contract from Donaldson using different manufacturing companies.

Thus...the EaO is created. It's a great filter and Amsoil is using the different positives in the business to market the EaO>

Originally Posted By: NavyDood
Originally Posted By: Gary Allan

HUH? Donaldson makes the Nanofiber media for Amsoil. Or are you saying Donaldson lets Amsoil make the Donaldson patented media? This is the same media thats in the Donaldson High Endurance filters that Amsoil sold prior to the EaO filters being produced.

Amsoil produces their own media using the Donaldson proprietary patented process ...effectively ..the machinery (that surely costs a buttload due to R&D) that squirts the silly string in such micro-fine strands.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back