Amsoil OW-20 4,802 miles '98 Honda Accord

Status
Not open for further replies.

JSP

oil.gif

Last makeup quart was Mobil 1 5W-20. Oil was in the car for a year and was driven 1/3 city 2/3 highway. Air filter: Napa ProSelect Oil filter: Amsoil EaO

If this is first time use of synthetic I wouldn't worry about the Pb level - its simply from cleaning out previously formed deposits in that case. If the engine has used a high quality Synth. like Mobil 1 in the recent past, I'd say the 0w-20 is too thin for this older accord and I'd try the amsoil 10w-30 or even 5w-40 European Formula. (This oil is in excellent shape, so no problem with the annual OCI.)

The high oil consumption and high level of solids means you're seeing lots of "blow-by" past the rings with the thin oil. Did you run the Amsoil Engine Flush before changing over???

I agree with TeeDub, you might want to run a bottle of Amsoil engine flush and move up to their 10w30 or 5w40.

The first 100k miles on the vehicle it was running on conventional oil with 7.5k OCIs, so yeah I would expect some deposits. I did notice when I was running 5W-30 it didn't consume nearly as much oil. I have Amsoil 0W-20 in there right now, but I was just using what I had left. Next OC, I will probably switch to 0W-40 or 5W-40.

I'm not sure I would jump to high vis XW-40, but AFL 5W-40 is on the lower side of the vis scale. Where in WA are you? I would step to a 5W-30 or syn 10W-30, before a an XW-40. I think SAE 20 ranges are indeed on the light side for this engine.

The lead on some 90's Honda can be a bit high - but expect cleaning for a few changes.

Don't think it's worth using an expensive synth in an oil drinker. TBN of 4.4 with 2.5 quarts of makeup oil tells me the oil isn't doing too well in this particular vehicle.

Go with a high 30wt product such as Pennzoil HM.

This is a year long OCI. That's
I'd be checking the PCV and related plumbing for the oil migration (just for something to do).

I also agree with the flush thing. Even Auto-Rx would take about 2 years to use here. I guess you could do a two bottle thing like dnewton and fuel tanker man did in my experiments ..but that's strictly experimental.

This can also just be transitional consumption. It's rare ..but occurs. Your time/mileage line is so long and shallow that it would be hard to perceive any difference when it stops (if it did).

I haven't ran an engine flush or AutoRX and don't intend to, just not worth the hassel for me. The car doesn't get driven in the summer that much, maybe once a week less than 10 miles. I would say roughly 85% of my trips are short ones. I live near Spokane and it is not uncommon to see temperatures drop below zero in the winter months. So, that is why I like a 0W or 5W oil.

Oh ..there's no mandate to "fix" anything here. At this rate .. some future archaeologist will find a perfectly good engine among the ruins of a chassis.
55.gif

This second batch of Amsoil should clean out any remaining deposits. The main advantage of the Amsoil flush is that it gets you optimum results more quickly. In this case a thicker Amsoil product may not decrease fuel efficiency as it will improve the piston ring seal.

I wouldn't be surprised of oil consumption goes down with this second fill of 0w-20.

with 2.5 qts makeup oil, amsoil is a poor choice IMHO due to monetary reasons. I would be tempted to use a HM oil like ToyotaNSaturn suggests

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back