Best way to remove cartridge filter on '08 Toyota?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've already done this twice before but this time, tragedy.
Finished the OC, backed out of my garage, 5qts of oil on the floor there to greet me.
mad.gif

1st time this has happened and it had to happen to my MIL's Highlander (while she was at my house).
mad.gif

It is coming from the cartridge filter holder and now I cannot get it to come off again.
Humbling.

did you forget the o-ring seal on the cartridge? i don't understand where you are leaking oil from unless you cracked the cartridge?

I HATE this filter set up. Last time I changed the filter, it became apparent that I did not have the O ring flush with the housing. 1000 miles later, oil spraying everywhere.

Well, that is that. After the purchase of 2 new tools many, many curse words and cups of coffee, I am done. The tool that worked out of the three in the picture was the one on the far left.
OilTragady004.jpg

Once I got the canister or whetever the [censored] it's called off, the culprit reared her ugly head.
OilTragady015.jpg

In conclusion, let me say, God bless kitty litter.
302X

o-ring seal is damaged........no wonder it was [censored] oil everywhere.

btw. the one on the far left is the one i use everyday. (at a Toyota dealer) works great on more filters including this new cartridge style Toyota is using.

fyi you only need to tighten those cartridge filters by hand. any more and it will be very hard to remove. on the newer 3.5L cartridge style filter. on the OEM Toyota box it even give torque specs. and i belive its something like 2-4ft/lbs. i think for the V8 tundra engine is the same thing.

I've got that same cartridge filter setup on my new Sienna. I've only done one oil change, but made a [censored] of a mess doing it (not five quarts worth though).

After seeing that picture, I'm going to be extra careful with that O-ring next time.

That's the Lisle oil filter wrench, I have one of those and it works flawlessly. The one I bought was the Lisle 63600 and I got it on Amazon for $11, and they also come in different sizes but that one fits every filter I have except the really wide filters like the Wix/Napa 1334.

Originally Posted By: ThirdeYe
That's the Lisle oil filter wrench, I have one of those and it works flawlessly. The one I bought was the Lisle 63600 and I got it on Amazon for $11, and they also come in different sizes but that one fits every filter I have except the really wide filters like the Wix/Napa 1334.

That is the one that did the trick in this situation.

BMW has had this style for many years as have most domestic HD trucks .....

I love the setup on my 96 BMW... could not be easier.

A proper filter kit should contain new o-rings. I don't know the Toyota call out, perhaps someone who as a dealer invoice can chime in, perhaps the filter does not include the o-rings with Toyota and they are two separate items that are used.

Where did that China made filter come from?

Honda never includes the crush washer with their oil filters, yet a good dealer will replace the crush washer which as it's own respective part number.

In regards to the cap tool... in BMW world, they are referred to by their 'flute' count. Mine for example is a 14 flute Lisle.

For these type of caps, I would suggest one with the exact flute count and NOT one that would fit several sizes. i.e. The cap should match the tool exactly.

Last edited:
I ordered the OEM toyota filter from a dealer and it comes with two new replacement O-rings in the filter box. One large one for the cartridge and one small one for the drain valve at the bottom of the cartridge.

I've read of people having problems with the 65mm/67mm combination sized cap wrench. I used a 65mm only cap wrench and had no problems with slippage.

That filter has "Made in China" stamped on it. I would think Quality Control of the manufacturer is at hand on this one.
Who made the filter? Who sold it to you?

Originally Posted By: milwaukee
The 'genuine' toyota filters are made in Taiwan.

Thailand actually. At the Denso factory there.

Originally Posted By: lui
o-ring seal is damaged........no wonder it was [censored] oil everywhere.

btw. the one on the far left is the one i use everyday. (at a Toyota dealer) works great on more filters including this new cartridge style Toyota is using.

fyi you only need to tighten those cartridge filters by hand. any more and it will be very hard to remove. on the newer 3.5L cartridge style filter. on the OEM Toyota box it even give torque specs. and i belive its something like 2-4ft/lbs. i think for the V8 tundra engine is the same thing.

I just changed the oil in my 3.5 Sienna this morning. The filter box (Toyota) lists 19 ft/lbs as the torque for the cartridge. I kind of like the new setup since it's easy to see if there is anything in the filter. Mine was a clean as a wistle.

Yes Thailand instead of Taiwan.

I have this set up on my new sienna. If I ever get enough miles between warranty visits (bad cat from the factory-gotta love toyota reliability) I will get to expperience the cartridge filter.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back