It was done at a local lab.
relevant Mods:
Injen Short Ram Intake
3" turboback
Running 24spike and 15 hold of boost
75 PSI Fuel Pressure
oilsample.png

Last edited:
Some shear there...not surprising with a 0W40. When I used Esso 0W40 in my Cummins it sheared a little more than I like (Esso is still good oil, as is M1)
Bit of fuel as well. The silicon must be from your recent work.
Which lab did you use and where is it? I usually use CAT in the West End.

The SAE 0w-40's all shear very quickly in turbos. Mobile Delvac 1, 5w-40 will hold up much better in this motor....

The shearing may be due to 1+% fuel dilution and not because of the oil. Statements like ALL 0w40wt oils shear quickly in turbs may not be an acurate statement. .

Originally Posted By: Catlin
http://www.fluidlife.com/ just off of 90 ave and 50 st. I think $19.95 sometimes same day.

Thank you, I will give them a try when I get back to Edmonton.

Nothing wrong with shearing with this oil. It's the only oil that I've ever seen that's celebrated for how well it (assuredly) degrades in use.
54.gif

Originally Posted By: Eddie
Statements like ALL 0w40wt oils shear quickly in turbs may not be an acurate statement. .

How about "it's not unusual for a 0W40 to shear in a turbo."

There was a recent UOA on nasioc of M1 0W40 in a naturally aspirated RS and it sheared to a 30 grade in 4300 miles. Fuel was less than .5%. There's also a regular M1 5W40 TDT on the Forester board than has had shearing to a 30 grade on several occasions. Not that either example means there's a problem.
I've had fuel as high as 2.3% with no shearing of GC.
banana2.gif

-Dennis

Last edited:
Quote:

Interesting.

Originally Posted By: bluesubie
banana2.gif

Then outside of lab error, it must have thickened from oxidation/nitration an amount equal to the amount that the fuel thinned it. If you mix fuel and motor oil, it will have a viscosity lower than the oil. No way around it.

You need a bigger intercooler if you're spiking to 24 but holding 15 psi. I know on my saab I will spike at 17 and hold 15, I have a stock boost setup though.

Originally Posted By: JAG
Then outside of lab error, it must have thickened from oxidation/nitration an amount equal to the amount that the fuel thinned it. If you mix fuel and motor oil, it will have a viscosity lower than the oil. No way around it.

32.gif

Here's my last.
There was some shearing (12.1 to 11.98) and the ".2.3" s/b "2.3". The run was the 6,144 mile OCI on gold GC.

How does one know when an oil thins and then thickens? I presume that you would need to do a uoa every 1k miles or so.

-Dennis

Last edited:
I could use a bigger intercooler, I can watch my egt, intake temps pre and post intercooler, its good for 2 or 3 wots before its heat soaked.

are you running a stage 2 kit in your SRT4, or are you hiding the boost spike from the ECU with a clamp?

you need to do a boost leak test to make sure all the intake plumbing is secure and not leaking. I would have to assume you have a leak with the Sil. count in the sample.

If you are using the stock map sensor and ecu, the ecu is dumping in fuel to save your motor since the map sensor wont read over 18.25 PSI. What are you A/F ratios during wide open throttle?

This could be the cause for the fuel dilution.....overly rich

High knock counts can cause the same thing. how much knock are you seeing? I assume, or am hoping you have a scanguage and wideband since you are modifying your ride....

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back