Help I have gone amsoil crazy

Status
Not open for further replies.
2 weeks ago I changed to amsoil SSO and EaO filter and just now I placed an order for the air filter, ATF for the 6 speed manual, severe gear oil for the rear and the limited slip additive. Also just ordered msd wires and NGK TR55 plugs to do a tuneup.

Looks like this weekend will be busy!

Anybody in the maryland area with LONG SKINNY arms wanna help me change the plugs on the passengers side of my 99 SS camaro?
grin2.gif

Sounds like a fun time! Start getting your wobble extensions, 360 swivels and a ground down spark plug socket ready for work. Amsoil air filters are [censored] good and severe gear is a no brainer at it's price point.

Originally Posted By: pickled
Sounds like a fun time! Start getting your wobble extensions, 360 swivels and a ground down spark plug socket ready for work. Amsoil air filters are [censored] good and severe gear is a no brainer at it's price point.

Im sure its going to be a blast! I hope I dont start throwing tools hehehehe. The car is a 99 with 67K on the clock and the trans and rear still have the original fluids in them.
crazy2.gif

Ruhro raggie gotta get to the trans (stated in my best Scoobie Doo). Might as well do the brake and PS fluid swap out too before you forget and they go to complete junk. There's always that one plug and wire combination in the F- bodies that makes you want to get out a plasma cutter and go to town. I'm not envious because I just did a plug and wires swap in my Corvette and it was beyond "fun". Just have some muscle relaxer (read as beer) ready.

Originally Posted By: Tempest
May want to rethink the ATF in a manual. I would go with (and have) MTF.

yep either way works I like the 5w30 lube. product code MTF Recommended for automotive and light truck applications that require synchromesh transmission fluid. Applications include manual transmissions and transaxles such as New Venture NV T350, NV 1500, NV 2550, NV 3500, NV 3550, NV 5600, and Tremec T4, T5, T18, T56, T176, TKO500, TKO600, TR 3450 and TR 3550. Replaces MTF-94 fluid for Land Rover, MG, and Mini Cooper. Replaces Honda Genuine MTF fluid for manual transaxles and Texaco MTX fluid.

works Great in many applications that I have used to date.
even in my SHO 5-speed MTX
glad I dont have the 99 GM car that is tight testies to work on.
ugh! I had the pleasure of working on that chassis, real nice!
beer will help with 16 spark plugs laying around
10.gif

any rear wheel numbers?

Originally Posted By: BoostFiend
T-56's are supposed to use ATF

MTF is very close to ATF viscosity but is a purpose built MT fluid with increased AW/EP and friction modifiers designed for MT.
I have had this fluid in an ATF spec. MT for nearly 2 years now and am nothing but pleased.
Only problem might be in VERY cold conditions.

Originally Posted By: BoostFiend
T-56's are supposed to use ATF

MTF is very close to ATF viscosity but is a purpose built MT fluid with increased AW/EP and friction modifiers designed for MT.
I have had this fluid in an ATF spec. MT for nearly 2 years now and am nothing but pleased.
Only problem might be in VERY cold conditions.

Yes but there have been reports of issues with the T56 when syncromesh was used. Super notchy and hard to shift in the winter time till the trans warmed up was one issue and there is something in the trans the 6 speed guys on ls1tech.com calls "paper" that the syncromesh can cause damage to over time. I forget right off hand what it was they were refering to.

Originally Posted By: Gary Allan
Quote:

Good ..maybe it's contagious
grin2.gif

I'll tell ya this SSO is the first oil I have ever used in my LS1 that has complely eliminated the piston slap in my engine. To me that means less wear obviously and in order to eliminate piston slap it has got to be clinging to the metal parts which would mean even further wear reduction on startup. Maybe I am off base there but its the only logical explanation I can come up with. I am so impressed thats why im switching everything to amsoil.

Quote:
Yes but there have been reports of issues with the T56 when syncromesh was used.

Was that with the Amsoil fluid or the off the shelf Pennzoil?

I can't give a cold weather review of the Amsoil since it never gets cold here.

Originally Posted By: ProStreetCamaro
Quote:

grin2.gif

I'll tell ya this SSO is the first oil I have ever used in my LS1 that has complely eliminated the piston slap in my engine. To me that means less wear obviously and in order to eliminate piston slap it has got to be clinging to the metal parts which would mean even further wear reduction on startup. Maybe I am off base there but its the only logical explanation I can come up with. I am so impressed thats why im switching everything to amsoil.

sounds like your firing on all 8 cylinders!!!
39.gif

39.gif

39.gif

39.gif

39.gif

39.gif

39.gif

39.gif

Quote:
Yes but there have been reports of issues with the T56 when syncromesh was used.

Was that with the Amsoil fluid or the off the shelf Pennzoil?

I can't give a cold weather review of the Amsoil since it never gets cold here.

One guy with amsoil, one with RP and a couple off the shelf. It only took searching and reading a couple guys with first hand experiance for me to rull out syncromesh in my T56. Everybody useing amsoil ATf reported smoother shifting nd problem free so thats what i went with. I know syncromesh works very good in most manuals.

Originally Posted By: lazaro
Originally Posted By: ProStreetCamaro
Quote:

grin2.gif

sounds like your firing on all 8 cylinders!!!
39.gif

39.gif

39.gif

39.gif

39.gif

39.gif

39.gif

39.gif

Hopefully after this weekend it will still be fireing off all 8 cylinders when i attempt the plug and wire change!!!
LOL.gif

the only thing left on my MPV to get amsoiled is the transfer case (for some reason I forgot to order a bottle when I did my oil/ATF/diff fluid order).
after that I guess i need to do the brake fluid and antifreeze. maybe some amsoil grease in the wheel bearings? door hinges?

does amsoil make tire air yet???

A '99 isn't that bad, take the coil packs off first. I have a '97, plugs and wires were a 7 hour job. I had to drop both head pipes, the starter and the alternator.

May want to rethink the ATF in a manual. I would go with (and have) MTF.

My buddies Denali uses ATF in the xfer case not gear oil...pretty interesting when i saw him using AFT.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back