2008 FLHTCU, Amsoil MCV 20W50,1496 miles.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Bike has 4702 miles at UOA. UOA's were done by OAI, very quick turn around on last sample. OEM oil and air filters, using FP plus and Bio Plus fuel additives 50/50 mix. Bike seems to be wearing in nicely. I made a mistake on first UOA silicon was 15 not 13.

Miles on Oil: 1500/1496
Time on oil: 9 days/15 days
Oil: HD 360/Amsoil MCV 20W50

Iron 8/4
Chromium 0/0
Lead 3/0
Copper 29/17
Tin 0/0
Aluminum 3/2
Nickel 0/0
Silver 0/0
Silicon 15/12
Boron 261/47
Sodium 4/0
Magnesium 743
Cacium 1285/2887
Barium 0/0
Phosphorus 911/1142
Zinc 1047/1221
Molybdenum 0/43
Titanium 0/0
Vanadium 0/0
Potassium 0/0
Fuel Visc100 18.96/21.20
Water 0 0
Nitr n/a/15
Oxid n/a/20
TBN 8.80/8.52

Any comments or suggestions?

Nice!! Thanks for posting! That TBN is still high.

I gotta get a UOA & post on my Harley... it'll have a good 5,000 miles on the MCV that's in it now & about 7,000 on the bike.

Originally Posted By: tpitcher
Nice!! Thanks for posting! That TBN is still high.

I gotta get a UOA & post on my Harley... it'll have a good 5,000 miles on the MCV that's in it now & about 7,000 on the bike.

Yes, I think engine is wearing very well. Would be nice to see more HD UOA's. I think a 5,000 mile UOA would be a good idea.

Just my opinion but 1500 miles on that oil is a waste of amsoil.. 8) On my vulcan 2000 (2053cc) which is a shared sump i was going 7000 miles with great uoa while using amsoil.

Oil was not changed just UOA. I should have put that in my comments. I have been running 5000 miles OCI while under warranty.

If this a dry clutch setup the 15w-50 Dominator Racing Oil should provide even better performance. Its worth comparing them, as the old Series 2000 was great in Harleys.

i was just wondering something. I use Amsoil in my Victory vision. it has a OCI of 2500 miles. Its under warranty for the next few years. My question/comment is, since amsoils price is now one of the very highest for motorcycle oils what oil brand of oil would you use if you wouldnt use amsoil. I seen on the amsoil website they Now want $11.05 plus tax plus shipping per Qt.. thats something like $13 a QT NOW~!~ Since i am under warranty and Victory actually wants receipts of you oil changes (you can do your own they just want receipts that you bought the oil and filter and then your log book of when you changed it) Well since i have such a short oci its hard to justify using amsoil at these NEW prices.. ya know? I used amsoil in my 125ci kawasaki for 7000 miles with a good Uoa. but their warranty didnt want Proof of oil changes.. Since i dont have much faith in amsoil having my back if a engine related problem happened i will follow the oem recommendations for oci. I fully understand a engine related issue due to oil is just about impossible, I just dont want to assume anything in terms of me being "covered" by not following the Recommended Oci. ya know? So what other oil would you use that would be comparible to amsoil. If possible.

Originally Posted By: arkainzeye
So what other oil would you use that would be comparible to amsoil. If possible.

I would go back to HD 360. $6.50 quart I might also try the SYN 3 $11.50 quart. Right now Amsoil MCV 20W50 $8.55 quart without shipping.
The Hd dealer that I go to has 20-25% sales around Christmas so I use to buy 2 or 3 cases.

Originally Posted By: TeeDub
If this a dry clutch setup the 15w-50 Dominator Racing Oil should provide even better performance. Its worth comparing them, as the old Series 2000 was great in Harleys.

Not a dry clutch set up. Clutch oil is not shared with engine oil. Both do use same type of oil. I may give it a look? Visc. is lower 17.5 MCV is 20.1.

Well arkainzeye, if you're going to do 2,500 mile oil changes, just about any 20w50 should work well...fueltankerman has excellent UOA's posted for his Harley using Havoline, Chevron, and a mix of Valvoline VR1/Synpower. The Valvoline VR1 racing oil has an excellent anti wear ad pack and is easy to find...in other words, you don't have to use a motorcycle specific oil to get a good oil, heck, most car oils will perform as well or better in the 20w50 grades...and in cooler weather a diesel oil of 15w40 weight is good performer with an excellent ad pack.

Hi hd2002
is this the ZN and Phosphorus of the new formulation of Amsoil?This is the first thing (among Iron and Silicon) I always notice.

Originally Posted By: berlyn
Hi hd2002
is this the ZN and Phosphorus of the new formulation of Amsoil?This is the first thing (among Iron and Silicon) I always notice.

Oil was puchased less than 1 year ago.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back