Quote:
Additional Challenges
As an independent oil company, AMSOIL faces many
unique challenges. The volatility of the current market
impacts independent manufacturers differently than it
does “Big Oil.” Recently, the Independent Lubricant
Manufacturers Association (ILMA) submitted comments
to the Federal Trade Commission (FTC) renewing its criticism
of the pricing practices of major oil companies.
ILMA’s biggest complaint lies with the majors’ practice
of issuing a price increase for base oils to all of their
competitors and delaying the subsequent price increase
on their finished lubricants. Independent blenders, like
AMSOIL, buy base oils from the majors and compete
against them in the sale of finished goods.
In some cases, ILMA contends, the same suppliers
that implement numerous base oil price increases to
independents delay increasing prices on their finished
products for 45 to 60 days, causing a price squeeze on
independent lubricant manufacturers. For example,
Shell announced a price increase on finished lubes
May 23 that doesn’t go into effect until August 5.
ILMA General Counsel Jeff Leiter said the only conclusion
that can be reached is that the major oil companies
are trying to squeeze out the independents for market share. “ExxonMobil might say ‘Shell’s our competition,
not ILMA members,’ but it’s kind of curious that
ExxonMobil is selling base oil to Shell. Exxon raises
prices, and the rest of them follow suit the next day by
the same amount. Our sense is, we’ve lost a competitive
market for base oils, and that’s what is creating the
problem,” said Leiter. Price increases from base oil
suppliers used to be approximately $0.05 per gallon.
Now they are more like $0.30 per gallon each increase.

Originally Posted By: dargo
funny oil is priced back to 2 months ago levels and the price increases again?

Aug 1st about 11% increase, here comes Sept....wonder what that's going to be? The barrel of oil is going down, so why are they going up? LOL!

Due to continued market volatility, AMSOIL is forced to implement a price adjustment effective September 1, 2008. While the company did adjust pricing in August, raw materials costs have continued to soar to unprecedented levels, and at an unprecedented pace. It is important to remember that while the price of a barrel of oil might be declining, lubricant manufacturers feel the effects of rising oil prices on a delayed basis. Major jumps in the price of a barrel of oil in June might not be fully realized by lubricant manufacturers until August or September. While AMSOIL does everything possible to prevent price adjustments, constant increases from suppliers demand action. As a result, AMSOIL has been forced to adjust pricing more often than ever before. Even still, AMSOIL has increased prices fewer times and by a lower percentage than competing lubricant manufacturers. In addition, the higher lubricant prices rise, the more attractive AMSOIL products become due to their cost-effectiveness resulting from extended drain intervals, improved fuel efficiency and reduced maintenance.

Originally Posted By: LargeCarManX2
Originally Posted By: dargo
funny oil is priced back to 2 months ago levels and the price increases again?

Aug 1st about 11% increase, here comes Sept....wonder what that's going to be? The barrel of oil is going down, so why are they going up? LOL!

Due to continued market volatility, AMSOIL is forced to implement a price adjustment effective September 1, 2008. While the company did adjust pricing in August, raw materials costs have continued to soar to unprecedented levels, and at an unprecedented pace. It is important to remember that while the price of a barrel of oil might be declining, lubricant manufacturers feel the effects of rising oil prices on a delayed basis. Major jumps in the price of a barrel of oil in June might not be fully realized by lubricant manufacturers until August or September. While AMSOIL does everything possible to prevent price adjustments, constant increases from suppliers demand action. As a result, AMSOIL has been forced to adjust pricing more often than ever before. Even still, AMSOIL has increased prices fewer times and by a lower percentage than competing lubricant manufacturers. In addition, the higher lubricant prices rise, the more attractive AMSOIL products become due to their cost-effectiveness resulting from extended drain intervals, improved fuel efficiency and reduced maintenance.

4-7% you cheapskate.
thumbsup2.gif

When EM, Shell, ConoccoPhilips, Castrol, Citgo, and Chevron has increased their cost to suppliers by an average of 25% since March it just proves you are whining to whine. That is all. Some people are never happy and have to [censored] to bring themselves attention. At times, counseling has been know to work.

Man the way Amsoil is talking about the broader industry...it sounds like I should be asking for all my change back in pennies when I go to the store. At least then I'd have something the rest of the world might consider valuable. These price resets are pretty amazing.

The way Amsoil surives all of this is to continue to put out higher quality oils that are better than the competition.

If you got to Walmart and Motorcraft (a good oil btw) is now $4 qt, well then spending more on Amsoil @ $11 qt but getting 15k miles out of makes it worth it.

true but some dino oils can go like 10K miles for $4 too. I like Amsoil but there price increase monthly are a little crazy.

My thinking is that the other oil companies will start to skimp on their oil's qualities, making them a poor choice.
When it comes to dollars and cents the major oil companies count pennies!!
They con't give a hoot about quality.

Originally Posted By: Don Stefanik
My thinking is that the other oil companies will start to skimp on their oil's qualities, making them a poor choice.

Maybe true to some extent, but I don't think many would risk their reputation. Or would they?

Originally Posted By: Don Stefanik
Doubt it.

I bet there are looking for cheaper base oils and additives all the time. Isn't that what Castrol did back in 1999 when they stopped using the more expensive PAO's in their oils?

I think ALL or Most All oils on today's markets are top-notch. The difference is how much contamination an oil can take before it can't keep the contamination in check.

We all know that PAO's, Esters, can take more contamination before they are exhausted.

Modern day mineral oils are just as good as any synthetic oil when used up and too their limits on contamination.

o2man98,

Think what you wish!

Facts are facts.

That is right, facts are facts. Fact is that other companies increased prices an average of 25% since March 2008. If you were reading you would have seen that FACT.

I was thinking of trying Dominator 10W30.

Even before the August increase, I could get Redline shipped to my house from a Subaru tuner in the Northwest a little cheaper than Dominator when the PC pricing of Amsoil is factored in (comparing the price to SSO).

The plus with Amsoil is personal oil consulting at bitog
grin2.gif
and I know that I can get it in two days after ordering. I don't have a problem paying for oil that costs about the same as a tank of gas that I'll run for at least 7,500 miles. Decisions, decisions.
21.gif

-Dennis

the price of gasoline here has dropped 13 percent but will probably go back up since polosi wont let congress vote to allow gulf drilling

Ken, your an Amsoil Dealer....Correct?

Ken, your an Amsoil Dealer....Correct?

What difference would that make?

Quote:
08-21-2008
News regarding the September 1, 2008 Pricing Adjustment and price lists

With the drop of crude oil prices over the past 30-45 days, AMSOIL has been working diligently to try to get our suppliers to lower their recent price increases. As we expected and had been advised before, our suppliers informed us that those increases we have already received were ones that were still coming to us through the system. This is due to the fact that such increases are on a delayed basis from before the time oil prices had actually peaked. In fact, our suppliers advised that we could have expected to receive even more increases if crude oil prices had not come back down recently. Not exactly what we wanted to hear, but these are the cold hard facts.

Our efforts, however, were able to garner some minor concessions in a few areas. These concessions have allowed us to review the price increase we had established for September 1st and reduce the amount of the anticipated increase on nearly a dozen products by 5 to 25 cents per quart. ASL and ATM, for example, will go up 10 cents less per quart than anticipated, while ASM will go up 25 cents less per quart and ATF will go up 15 cents less per quart. Those are the fast-moving items that were impacted, and there are other slower-moving products that that will go up less than anticipated as well. The good news is that these items will now be impacted less than the 4-7% increase we had announced.

We hope that these minor concessions we received and passed on to you are a signal that the price increases in the chemical industry may be coming to an end, and that a return to stable or even falling prices may be in our future. Things now appear to be headed in the right direction, but no one can predict what will happen and know we will remain vigilant and react accordingly.

On another related issue, part of why crude oil prices have decreased recently has been due to a strengthening of the US Dollar. Long-term projections are for both to continue in the directions that they have been trending towards, even though there was a jump in crude oil prices and a drop in the value of the dollar just as we wrote this announcement. Unfortunately, a stronger US dollar also impacts our pricing in Canada. Due to this, all Canadian prices will be impacted by an additional 2-3% increase for an exchange rate adjustment as well. Once again, if the market forces cause unexpected changes in either direction we will review our situation and react accordingly.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back