Mobil 1 15w-50 Silver Cap in Sportster

Status
Not open for further replies.
Not happy with the viscosity. Getting ready to send the next sample in. If it is in the low 10w-40 range again, I'll be shopping for another oil.

Oil = 2993 miles
Engine = 6730 miles

Al = 3
Fe = 9
Cu = 42
Pb = 5
Sn = 5
Moly = 86
Ni = 2
Mn = 1
K = 3
Bo = 70
Si = 15
Na = 7
Ca = 2514
Mg = 827
Zn = 1140

SUS Viscosity = 70.5
cST viscosity = 13.09

I have a few friends that are very happy with the Amsoil 20-50 Harley oil delivered for a few bucks more than the Harley offering. I am convinced that if use the Eao filter and Amsoil motorcycle oil...you can move to 5K OCI's.

If I owned a Hog, I would also try Amsoils 60wt Racing oil. Get it before Aug 1 it's going up about 10%.

That Mobil oil....in this case took a viscosity beating for 3 K on the oil. Closing in on 30wt. Yikes :)

13.09 is worse than my Harley Syn 3 tested !
and it failed at 14.21 !
Minimum is 16.3 for 20w50
Changed to Amsoil,will be sampled soon !
06 Sportster

The copper looks a little high but the engine is still fairly new..Do you rev the engine at startup or anything like that ?

Originally Posted By: whitesands
The copper looks a little high but the engine is still fairly new..Do you rev the engine at startup or anything like that ?

No revving at startup. Turn the key on, flip the run switch on, wait for fuel pump to prime and check engine light to go out, start engine, listen for any unusual noises, insert ear plugs, ride off barely above idle down 1/4 mile drive.

Originally Posted By: sunruh
some lunatic on here says m1 shears down fast. maybe he was right?

We can agree, can we not, that even if he's right he's still a lunatic?
wink.gif

Wouldn't you be better off w/M1 V-Twin 20W-50 in an engine this hard on oil? Isn't that oil designed for bikes, whereas this is 'more' a PCMO? Not trying to be a wise-a**, just curious.....

Being a tightwad, I refuse to pay the outrageous bucks Mobil wants for their V-twin stuff. I've got another UOA around here somewhere, and I think once the engine is completely broken in things'll be OK.

Is there a good reason not to try the Valvoline VR1 blend I posted a UOA of here?

I can't think of any...
21.gif

It stayed in grade (which isn't totally necessary, but certainly a plus).

It turned in wear metal counts less than half of the average synthetic UOA even in engines which are well broken in.

And the blend (2/3 VR1, 1/3 Synpower) costs far less than even the modestly priced 15W50 Mobil 1 product.

Dan

Hey FTM ... What was your objective in mixing in the 1/3 Synpower? What oil property were you looking to introduce to the mix that straight VR1 would not itself have provided?

In other words, when you sat down, put on your "Mad Scientist" hat and starting dreaming up sinister petro-brews ... you must have had something in mind for why the Syn would be introduced, and at that ratio.

Care to share?

Actually it wasn't my idea. My friend Larry wanted to do the 1/3 Synpower thing...

The Synpower is 60 to 70 percent petroleum. They don't mention the composition of the remaining third on the MSDS, which leads one to strongly believe it's a group III mixture (since they'd likely mention PAO content on the MSDS if it was in there at all).

In any event, Larry's idea worked wonderfully... and total cost of the oil for that interval was about 11 dollars. :)

Dan

I agree with addyguy. Try the M1 V-Twin 20w-50. I have no experience with it but it seems a more logical choice, man. The 15w-50 is meant for cars for the most part.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back