nissan has new ATF : matic S

Status
Not open for further replies.
came out this year, replaces matic J. If you have matic j in your transmission, you are now supposed to use this new matic S.

Anyone ever hear of this? Whats the difference between matic j and matic s? matic s synthetic???

Different fluid? or just a different supplier?

A side by side VOA of J and S might be interesting.

With the cost of fuel, maybe Nissafiniti came out with an MPG improving ATF?

Wheres the TSB? any dealer employees out there?

The local Nissan dealership parts guy tells me that Matic - S (for synthetic) has been out for awhile, comes in 11 liter pails, costs about $135 in Canada and is for use in the transmission flush machines but can be sold to the public as well. Interesting that it doesn't show up in the latest vehicle service manuals as a replacement fill.

Originally Posted By: Dale_Knight
The local Nissan dealership parts guy tells me that Matic - S (for synthetic) has been out for awhile, comes in 11 liter pails, costs about $135 in Canada and is for use in the transmission flush machines but can be sold to the public as well. Interesting that it doesn't show up in the latest vehicle service manuals as a replacement fill.

Makes me wonder how these dealerships use creative thinking to sell themselves and their servies. Any way, I just cannot believe folks would spend $12/Q for this syn when top of the line syn costs much lesss ($8 for Amsoil and $6/Q for Mobil1).

All marketing gimmicks..

Last edited:
A bit further on the 'Matic S' or Matic Synthetic ATF fluid; the 11 liter pails available in Canada don't have a Nissan part number and aren't supplied by Nissan although it has Nissan written approval to the dealerships for use in any transmissions requiring Matic-J or K.

Talking with an Infinity dealership parts guy in California, they don't stock Matic-J anymore and use Matic-S as the replacement fluid for Matic-J or K applications. The US Matic-S is supplied by Nissan however, part no: 999MPMTS00P. The local Infinity dealership hasn't heard of the new fluid though.

Courtesy Nissan has Matic-S in stock for $13/Q.

Last edited:

Surely a collosal failure from price stdpoint.

Originally Posted By: MaximaGuy

Surely a collosal failure from price stdpoint.

US Nissan parts dealers prices seem to vary widely throughout the country, the Matic-S $13/Q price from Courtesy is the same as their Matic-J, both fairly expensive. Cherry Hill Nissan in NJ quotes $10/Q for both J and S, I imagine if you find someone selling J for $6 or $7 the S price will be that also, best I've found locally is $125 for a Canadian 11 liter pail of Matic-S, about $11/Q. This tranny is still on warantee though so I'll be staying with the requested approved Nissan products, J or S.

I talked my dealer into giving me an ounce of the Canadian Matic-S to do a VOA on it, if I was in the US I'd get a bottle of the Matic-S and do the same just out of interest. If it starts at something around 6.5 cSt@100C it might be a winner in terms of improved economy, lower shear rate, etc.

Last edited:
So now given the new matic S fluid, I imagine it would be a good idea to do a complete replacement of all the tranny fluid when I do my 2008 G's trans fluid since it will not be the best to have matic J and matic S in the trans???

Also, has anyone found out if the matic S is definitely synthetic?

Originally Posted By: momomeister
So now given the new matic S fluid, I imagine it would be a good idea to do a complete replacement of all the tranny fluid when I do my 2008 G's trans fluid since it will not be the best to have matic J and matic S in the trans???

you sure it didn't come stock from the factory with matic s? what fluid is listed in your manual?

Originally Posted By: mikeinaustin
Originally Posted By: momomeister

you sure it didn't come stock from the factory with matic s? what fluid is listed in your manual?

Hmm Good question. I'll have to check and get back to you on that..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back