Amsoil 0W-30, 20K mile OCI, 2004 Cn Vic 130K mile

Status
Not open for further replies.
I ran my Amsoil for 20,000 miles but changed the 820S every 5,000 miles. I drive mostly freeway and change my PVC when I change the oil. My CV doesn't use any oil that I can detect, alghough I would preload the new filter prior to installation. I'm new to UOA, but it looks like it made it fine. Blackstone didn't see any problems.

Virgin Oil Analysis:

virgin-amsoil-0w-30-signature-series.jpg

Same oil after 20,000 miles:

20000-mile-oci-amsoil-0w-30-signature-series.jpg

Wow - that's really good! A little high on the Silicon though.

Nice TBN yet.......

How much make-up oil did you add and about when??

That's impressive for the very long interval. Insolubles decently low, TBN still has some life left, flashpoint very high, and just a slight viscosity increase. The fresh oil put in the new oil filters every 5K miles helps. That amounts to how much new oil added?

I precharged the filters when I changed them at 5K mile intervals, but that was it. My 4.6L doesn't really use oil. The silicon is high, but it's high in the virgin oil, and the anti backflow valve in a Motorcraft 820S is silicon rubber. I don't know if that is relevant or not.

After reading posts on this site I switched to the Amsoil air filter and checked all my intake side connections for leaks.

Thanks for the input,

Malcolm

How long did you have the oil the engine? Which oil filter?

I noticed the oil also thickened with use.

The oil paid for itself and more with a 20K OCI.

Last edited:
This is first report I have read where the individual changed the oil filter every five thousand miles. I wonder if that is more effective than running a the Amsoil EAO filters out for a long duration. I have a bypass filter on my car, and am wondering if it is better to keep changing the filter like you did and not even use a bypass. This is an excellent report and am wondering how much can be attributed to the new filter, and how much can be assigned to the fresher oil every 5000 miles. How much new total oil was added in the entire interval? I am running Amsoil 0w30 SSO in wife's accord now...the car does seem a little more sluggish compared with 0w20...looking at this result makes it difficult to even consider draining a little early. Thanks for posting!

The bypass filter is meant to capture small wear generating contaminants and soot in conjunction with your full flow. Keep the bypass and adjust your full flow change intervals...don't ditch the bypass they do good! FYI- that's a pretty darn good report. Wear metals looked really good!

Well that is a lot of oil to prime 4 820S filters. Not in the grand scheme of things but at least two quarts I am thinking total. But yes oil change + 2 quarts and 4 filters. I thought Amsoil claimed you could just change the filter every 6 months for a total of two filter changes per year? If so then this is double that.Oh the wear numbers do look great and so does the TBN and flash point but all that make up oil had to help.

I guess it would be nice to see an oil go the distance with out 4 filter changes and all kinds of oil to refresh the stuf in the sump. I mean M1 does not make people change the filter,use a special filter or anything and they claim 1 year or 15,000 miles no need to do 4 filter changes along the way. So if something as bad as M1 can do that then why all this other stuff needed for Amsoil to make it?

Oh and I understand too I am just being the devils advocate! I know if I decided to do a 12 month OCI I am only going to use two filters at the maximum. I routinely run my wifes car a year with RTS and a cheap SpuerTech filter no changeing out filters or anything.

That's funny "as bad as M1"...I know it gets bashed here a bit, but it is a darn good oil jeesh! We talk about M1 and RP on this board like they were picked out of the big lots reject bin by a leper LOL! Anyway, I'm running the amsoil in my vehicles according to label...severe service 15k/or one year (no multiple filter changes). The SSO in the jeep I'm going to push out to 17.5k on a single EAO. I got SSO at 8k right now in a 2004 Silverado 5.3...it's going to 15k (first time synthetic use) and I'll UOA it. I'm not going to sweat it...heck I've ran Delo 15W40 12k in a Caprice and the UOA said it was still good! What truly impressed me the most about this UOA in particular was the flashpoint and wear metals on a rate basis. By the way was this SSO or the previous series 2000 0W30??

Last edited:
This happens to be a low wearing engine, driven on a low wearing drive,with multiple filter changes, and make up oil added throughout the run. Quite remarkable,but also quite unique to this case.

Last edited:
I have a feeling other synthetic oils would do well under those circumstances too, although the TBN might be a little lower at the end. I do like the idea of changing out the filters, and the little dose of make up oil to refill what was lost in the filter swap. I would love to see the same report using M1, or even PP for that matter.

Frank D

Probably could have done just two filter changes, the 820S is a good big filter. I think it would have been fine on just one filter.

Like glenn said, that is how amsoil, and M1 should be run. All freeway certainly helps out

Good job

I have the same engine, and run the filter over 10,000 miles, with insoluables at 0.2%. I wouldn't change the filter but once in the middle of this OCI...you might get a better insoluable number by using fewer filters, as they get more efficient when used.

Also, even though you "pre-charge" this filter, if yours is horizontal, like mine, how in the world would you get anywhere near a full charge in it without it leaking all over!

Last edited:
Interesting that the UOA shows the viscosity lower than spec. (9.5 vs. 10.3) BUT shows the TBN spot on (13.1 vs. 13.2).

If there is one thing Amsoil seems to have corrected with this oil, its the thickening over time - the old TSO, at this mileage would have been a 40-weight in a lot of analyses...good show!

I agree that there was no need to change the filter, probably at all, but I doubt it made much difference if any to the results. The make-up oil would have made some difference, of course.

if horizontal, assume pre loading it didnt take much, just let the element soak it up, filter wouldnt be filled to the top with oil, so maybe not too much make up oil was added???

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back