MOBIL1 0W-40 vs. CASTROL EDGE 0W-40

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi guys!
At my next oil change I will switch to one of those top products, complying the VW 502 00 quality standard.

I think both products are synthetic oils, containing Group4 and Group5 base oils.

So which one is best?

Mobil 1 (in North America) and many other lube mfrs have become quite coy about the base stock of their oils. Many people think all Mobil 1 oils, by definition, are Group IV PAO base stock. I'm not so sure. Mobil 1 MSDS reveal nothing about base stock of their 0w-40 "European Formula" oil; telephone calls to their tech support number yields the same. I haven't looked up the MSDS for Edge 0w-40 on Castrol's website, but it probably says something along the lines of "unspecified" or "proprietary info" with respect to base stock. I have been able to verify, thru MSDS provided by Castrol, that the GC (German Castrol, Syntec 0w-30 - - the fair-haired boy on BITOG) is made from "highly refined" mineral base stock (i.e., Group III - -eek!). There's an interesting article here - http://www.calsci.com/motorcycleinfo/Oils1.html that claims that due to recent advances in refining technology, the performance of Group III base stocks is now virtually the same as Group IV in most all applications, and that most all synthetic oils are now made from these "hydro-isomerized" Group III base stocks.

FWIW, TOTAL/ELF has come out with a new oil, TOTAL Quartz Energy 9000 0w-30 that meets most all of the euro car mfrs standards and which is, according to their MSDS, a Group IV PAO base stock (and priced accordingly - - its expensive). As soon as I can get hold of a bottle I will do a VOA and post the results here on BITOG.

I'd probably say M1>EDGE here, only because the M1 has more OEM approvals. But that's not to say the EDGE is a bad oil, its probably very very good. Personally I'd buy whatever was cheaper out of the 2.

Yeah.. difficult choice!
And to make things worse - both are merely the same price in my country.
And CASTROL claims that their oil helps cooling the engine better, I think Group4 and Group5 based oils cannot do that...in my experience the engine and oil temperature is always more when using Group4 and Group5 oils.

Here are the specs:

http://www.mobil.com/USA-English/Lubes/PDS/GLXXENPVLMOMobil_1_0W-40.asp

http://129.35.64.91/bpglis/lubtds.nsf/technicaldata/69D7F6DDE3F277AC8025734C003B2B70?OpenDocument

Last edited:
Hello bar1!
Have you noticed ANY temperature difference when using both oils? I mean of the coolant when running at slow speed in city traffic or engine running in still position? Which oil cools better the engine?
Thanks in advance!

Last edited:
Cooler isn't necessary better.
Higher temperatures help fuel burn more efficiently.
About the castrol TDS , if something isn't mentioned, it's low (in general) or lower than the competition.
In this case, flash point..?

Anyway,both are great products and as always
55.gif
we are trying to answer which fashion model is prettier , Haidi Klum or Andrianna Sklenarikova.
20.gif

Originally Posted By: SpeedyMan
Hello bar1!
Have you noticed ANY temperature difference when using both oils? I mean of the coolant when running at slow speed in city traffic or engine running in still position? Which oil cools better the engine?
Thanks in advance!

Hi SpeedyMan.
No difference in temperature between M1 and Castrol. I've used both oils summer and winter ( up to 30C and down to -20C ).

Originally Posted By: sprintman
Both PAO (I talked to both companies) VERY tough call. I'd call in Doug Hillary on this one, Doug where are you?

Great! THANKS!
cheers3.gif

Originally Posted By: d00df00d
Isn't Edge 0w-40 used in the Bugatti Veyron?

Probably not. Technically 502.00 isn't suitable for all applications that require fixed intervals. It would require 503.01 or 504

Would please do a UOA on the Castrol Edge? I do not get to see this oil in the USA. I would love to see if it shears as much as M1 does. I have had great luck with M1 0W40 in spite of the shearing but would consider another brand. I know that Castrol's 15W40 shear's badly even in gasoline engines so I have to wounder how it will hold up! Good Luck and lets see how it does!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back