Detroit Diesel(OIL)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Buddy of mine just picked up an old '80's GMC dump truck with
a DD 2-stroke 6 cyl,he wants to use DD recommended 30 or 40w oil
with less then 1% ash,can anyone recommend oil's that have less then 1% ash that's easy to find,locally?

Most straight 40 HDEO oils are formulated for the DD two strokes, look for the CF-2 rating, Chevron Delo 100 fits the bill.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: MGregoir
Chevron Delo 100 fits the bill.

Yea thats what he wanted to use is Delo 100,,where is this
sold locally,any idea???

thanks..

Call some truck repair shops in the Saginaw area I'm sure they could point you in the right direction. Heck the Flying J off I-75 might even have it (Delo 100 30). Ah the old Detroit 2 stroke! Those were some neat engines...they loved to break rings if I remember correctly.

Yup,,she's a screamer,,loud as [censored],,,LOL!!
banana2.gif

thanks..

Originally Posted By: Steve S
Is that a I6 or V6?

My bad,looked at it better for him today....it's a V8!!!!
crazy2.gif
thumbsup2.gif

Yes she's a big brute sitting in there,need to find the ser and
model number so we can get some HP numbers..

8V92-TA probably. They were rated between 410 and 735 hp depending on application.

This truck is probably rated at 450 hp. Oil consumption is not considered unacceptable until it reaches a quart per five hours of run time, and most of them leak like a sieve because DD says to install all gaskets dry, and nobody ever does on rebuilds.

Originally Posted By: MGregoir
8V92-TA probably. They were rated between 410 and 735 hp depending on application.

This truck is probably rated at 450 hp. Oil consumption is not considered unacceptable until it reaches a quart per five hours of run time, and most of them leak like a sieve because DD says to install all gaskets dry, and nobody ever does on rebuilds.

thanks MG, havent had a chance to stop in in the last few days
harvesting wheat, but yea should be in the that range,he just got the old girl hasn't had a chance to work it yet.ill be posting back when time allows, thanks

HP is more likely around 360 or 435 maybe 465 There were some of the engines it trucks I drove in the late 70s to early 80s when I drive trucks to make extra $$$$.

Detroit does not recommend multigades in two strokes because of the shearing of the polymers in the ports.

I worked on 6V53T's and N's for years and always wondered how an engine could reasonably last on straight 40 weight...I knew that is what they took, because I read the manual (unlike many of my co-workers), but in the Army I don't think that many engines get a long life the way they are sometimes used and abused. We always used bulk 15W40 because that is all we had.

I've been working at a Detroit dealership for about two years now. I don't do much 2-stroke work... we have a couple of old-timers who take care of most of them. And they both agree that a 2-stroke will not last on 15w40. We put straight 40W in all 2-cycles.

If it doesn't leak... it ain't a Detroit. I expect that this thick 40W oil helps slow oil consumption a bit, too. Ever pour 40W at room temperature? It looks like gear oil. Or molasses.

Originally Posted By: LargeCarManX2
Delo 400 straight 30 or 40 weight. The 15-40 Delo 400 will also be fine.

Wrong and Wrong.

Old Delo 400 30 or 40 was rated CF-2. Modern Delo 400 is not. Delo 100 is Chevron's oil for these engines.

Use only a CF-2 rated oil of any good brand, 30 wt in the winter and 40 in the summer. Expect the engine to burn a lot of oil (and fuel) and to leak a lot.

Those engines are still popular in larger boats. Could ask the fishermen where they get their oil.

Our local Chevron dealer can order the Delo 100......Won't find any on the shelves.

And definatly do not use the 15w-40 in it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back