Engine Cleaning

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi, I have a question about engine cleaning.

A beginner's book called "Auto Upkeep" says to clean the engine like this:

"Open the hood. Wet a shop rag with a multipurpose cleaner and wipe grime, dirt, and dust from the engine compartment. Close the hood."

What kind of multipurpose cleaner would work--Ammonia-based spray?

Do I have to worry about accidentally cleaning off intentionally lubricated surfaces inside the engine compartment?

Last edited:
I have always used Simple Green in a spray bottle. Get some good suds and then wait 5 mins. Come back with the hose on the very light spray/mist and get all the soap off. If needed a rag or toothbrush gets off excessive grime.

I've heard alot of people use "Simple Green" to clean the engine with. Cover your alternator with a plastic bag or something, and just take your time and be careful.

Beat me to it...
grin2.gif

Here`s how I do mine:

I warm the engine.

Spray the entire engine/engine bay with Simple Green (it contains no harsh solvents that can harm rubber or plastics).

Let it sit for about 5 minutes.

Then wash everything off really well(avoiding getting water on and around spark plug area.

Spray everything with Eagle One Nano Wax.

Using a soft towel I dry the entire engine/bay.

Spray all rubber/plastics with Formula F1

Then I use a blue shop rag and wipe off all excess.

My engine and engine bay looks showroom new! No rust anywhere. Rubber and plastics look as fresh as the day it rolled off the assembly line. I repeat this process about every 2 months.

Originally Posted By: Built_Well
Hi, I have a question about engine cleaning.

A beginner's book called "Auto Upkeep" says to clean the engine like this:

"Open the hood. Wet a shop rag with a multipurpose cleaner and wipe grime, dirt, and dust from the engine compartment. Close the hood."
Wish it were that simple. I'd say repeat their second sentence about 500 times (once for each component and each side of each component), then close the hood.

Originally Posted By: Barkleymut
If needed a rag or toothbrush gets off excessive grime.
You'll get used to the toothbrush tasting grimy after the first toothbrushing!

The only area under the hood of modern cars that could be susceptible to problems when cleaning an engine is water getting into the spark plug wells. Other than that, I've never had a problem spraying engines down with a good biodegradable degreaser and hosing the engine off after it sits for a few minutes.

Originally Posted By: BGK
The only area under the hood of modern cars that could be susceptible to problems when cleaning an engine is water getting into the spark plug wells.

I would also try to AVOID hitting ANY of the connectors (injectors, MAF, TPS, CPS, IAC, knock sensors, etc., etc.) with a direct stream of high pressure water.
wink.gif

Last edited:
Built_Well,

If you can afford it I'd take it to a professional that know how to clean an engine faster than doing it at home. For myself it's easier for me.

If you have the time get simple green and some small brushes and clean the engine bit by bit until your satisfied with the results.

Durango

I go to a newer self clean car wash that uses simple green for the engine/tire cleaner. Soak the entire engine well and let sit for a few minutes then power spray it off. Right after start it up and leave. Never a problem. I do this once a year so my engine really never gets too dirty. I cover the alternator with aluminum foil.

Originally Posted By: BGK
The only area under the hood of modern cars that could be susceptible to problems when cleaning an engine is water getting into the spark plug wells. Other than that, I've never had a problem spraying engines down with a good biodegradable degreaser and hosing the engine off after it sits for a few minutes.

EXCELLENT call!
11.gif

If this happens(happened to me once)you`ll loose power and engine will be sluggish. I just let it evaporate naturally (I was good to go after a day).

I use a product called Steam Premium and it's made by Pennzoil. It's an engine cleaner and boy does it work! I used to buy it by the case, but they don't carry it here in SoCal anymore. I have found it online.

Back to the matter at hand. The only thing I cover before cleaning an engine is my K&N air filter. (Also have forgotten that that bag was on there many a time when finished...know what a filter looks like after having a bag sucked into it?)

I just spray it everywhere and let it sit for 20 minutes. Then I rinse it using some hot tap water and then a quick hose rinse. The engine sparkles after and I love the chemical smell left behind. Is that weird or what?

pACE-1253389reg.jpg

Originally Posted By: Bob The Builder
I love the chemical smell left behind. Is that weird or what?

pACE-1253389reg.jpg

Is it that same kerosene/diesel/fuel oilish smell that the Gunk Foamy (and others) leave??

I have a garden hose that I can mix it hot/cold to wash the dogs, but you can hook a hose up to the drain on your hot water heater. No cleaners are really needed then. If using them, wait until after the 1st hot blast and then soak it on and re-do.

I turn the power washer down to 1500psi and use my head around the alternator, relay box and computer module. Spray the radiator from the inside out if possible.

Originally Posted By: dailydriver
Originally Posted By: Bob The Builder
I love the chemical smell left behind. Is that weird or what?

pACE-1253389reg.jpg

Is it that same kerosene/diesel/fuel oilish smell that the Gunk Foamy (and others) leave??

Not at all. To me it is just a simple clean floating on cloud nine I have just stripped my engine of all foul horsepower robbing grease, dirt and bacteria...smell. I can't get enough of it. Highly recommended.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back