KTM 690 Enduro, OEM oil, 66 miles

Status
Not open for further replies.

The motor is a 654cc fuel injected, liquid-cooled, single cylinder, four-stroke design with an 11.8:1 compression ratio, four-valve overhead cam with roller rocker levers producing 62 peak HP. It has a shared sump lubrication system shared with the six-speed transmission and uses two Eaton pumps to provide pressure. There are also two separate oil filters. Total oil capacity is only 1.9 liters, and the recommended OCI is every 5,000 km (3,107 mi).

Pretty low wear for a brand new engine, especially considering I was doing a MotoMan-style break-in. The manufacturer calls for a 10W-60, but you can see that either that's not what they ship with, or the oil sheared down like crazy. KTM recently sent out a memo to all its dealers, warning of dire consequences if they did not use the endorsed Motorex 10W-60, referring to "special coatings" in this motor. Some KTM forums thought that the oil was low detergent, low ZDDP, or otherwise stabilized to work with silver-plated bearings, but without any silver turning up in the UOA I'm skeptical of this assertion. Plus, the add pack is as robust as any diesel oil.

Probably the most interesting reading in the UOA was the high glycol, but no other indication of a coolant leak. New additive chemistry, or a bit of slop assembly? Silicon's high from assembly and new seals. Fuel's high, too; hopefully just from the rings not being fully seated throughout the OCI--I wrung the snot out of it, so they darn well have better seated. :)

Oh, and the dealership mechanic swore that conventional oil was in the sump from the factory, but this analysis reveals at least some ester content.

Just yesterday I acquired some of the magical, endorsed Motorex (Cross Power 4T 10W-60) and will send off a virgin sample for analysis. I'm intensely curious if this $18/liter oil has anything special going for it (other than a manufacturer's endorsement).

thanks for analysis as well. I've had my eye on a 950 super enduro for while but the new 690 enduro lc4 motor is appealing as well. I'd like to see a few samples without using the required motorex 10w60.

Any time a manufacture stipulates an oil like this and implies the engine is "special needs". You have to wonder if there is an inherent design flaw in the motor they are trying to band aid?

I'm sure the 690 is solid and this is all about marketing deals, rewarding the dealers with oil sales etc. The 60w could be a result of the possibility of users holding it wfo from France to spain on the autotbahn, finishing the trip with a 30w, which is probably all the motor really needs anyway?

thanks for the uoa, nice bike!!

something just caught my eye.

1.2% fuel which is kind of high, but maybe not so for a brand new engine.

but 330 flash? that is REALLY low!

Yeah, the flash is low because of the fuel dilute. Probably (hopefully) from before the rings got fully seated. If not, the design might dump a lot of fuel into the oil and that could be the motivation behind the 60-weight recommendation. Reminds me of a certain high-powered German automobile that has a similar problem... and we all know the solution to that problem... (RLI!)

Originally Posted By: Harley Anderson
thanks for analysis as well. I've had my eye on a 950 super enduro for while but the new 690 enduro lc4 motor is appealing as well. I'd like to see a few samples without using the required motorex 10w60.

I'm running conventional Shell 20W-50 for the current ~500 mile OCI, but I'm undecided as to whether to continue using a conventional out to 1,500 total miles or not.

blake,
i've seen uoa with fuel between 1.0 and 1.5% as reported by blackstoned and NEVER seen a flash that low. worst i've seen is a flash of 365 for 1.5%

just not adding up in my book.

glad to see you broke in it the proper way! ie. seat them rings NOW!!!

imho, i do a few 200 mile oci's and then fill for a 1500 run and do a uoa.

Originally Posted By: sunruh
i've seen uoa with fuel between 1.0 and 1.5% as reported by blackstoned and NEVER seen a flash that low. worst i've seen is a flash of 365 for 1.5%

just not adding up in my book.

Unfortunately I don't have a virgin sample of the oil, so who knows what the delta really is, but I agree that that's very low.

Originally Posted By: sunruh
imho, i do a few 200 mile oci's and then fill for a 1500 run and do a uoa.

Yeah, I was thinking 500-mile OCIs on the Shell 20W-50 (or what was it that held its viscosity well for you--SuperTech?).

supertech 15w40 has been the best "dino multi" and SRT (old ci-4 better than new cj-4) is pretty decent as well.
most of the 20w50's did pretty decent as well.

however, NOTHING stays in grade like a straight weight does.
VR1 sae50, superflo sae40 and sae30 were rock solid.
and GC (gold) kicked so many of the "big" names that all of them should be ashamed of getting killed by an 0w30!!!

if you want spendy, Maxima 4 Extra. forget the rest.

Tell me about that 690 motor, The thottle pull and clutch seem top notch smooth and light.

hows the motor vibration?

hows the Fi?

Last edited:
If you need a 60-weight, you could probably do better with Amsoil straight 60 racing oil. It'll be cheaper, and will still have enough 'cold flow' to handle cool mornings. I've 'heard' this oil is popular w/southerners riding big Harley bikes...

Brad Penn 20W50 semi-syn is a very thick 50 weight, almost a 60 weight, im running some in my zx9r and will have a uoa on it soon

Originally Posted By: Mackelroy
Tell me about that 690 motor, The thottle pull and clutch seem top notch smooth and light.

hows the motor vibration?

hows the Fi?

There's very, very little vibration. It's not quite as smooth as an inline four, but I'd say it feels as smooth as the inline triple in my old Triumph Sprint ST. It's far smoother than my KLR650.

The FI has been very good as well. The "advanced" engine mapping makes the throttle response a little jerky at partial throttle/low RPMs, but the "standard" mapping is just fine. (I'd only use the "advanced" if I were racing the beast.)

Well, I think I found the source of my high glycol reading.
shocked2.gif

It comes with an easy adjustble map?

Yep, there's a dial under the seat with positions for poor quality fuel, reduced power, standard, and advanced. Standard and advanced make the same maximum power, but the transition between on- and off-throttle's a lot smoother with the standard map.

hows the fuel MPG seem and milege (range) on the tank?

I'm getting between 50 and 55 MPG. The tank only holds 3.2 gallons, and the low fuel light pops on after 2.5 gallons have been used (0.7 gallon reserve). I'll need to carry an extra gallon for some of my more remote trips, which is a bit of a pain, but the rest of the bike makes up for it.

I saw the supermoto version other day, a front brake like a Hammer. looks like a really nice bike.

Thx for the Info, id say coming off that KLR the tank is comprmising, but like you said, the rest of the bike makes up for it.

when I had a klx400 it had a 2.6 gallon tank, rejetted it got a 50 mpg consistantly so I just used the tripometer at fills and left on reserve all the time, but only good for alittle over 100/120 mile.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back