Motorcraft 5w-20

Status
Not open for further replies.
Blackstone wanted to do a VOA after finding sodium in my last UOA, although no coolant or water showed up.

Aluminum....0
Chromium....0
Iron........0
Copper......0
Lead........0
Tin.........0
Moly........30
Nickel......0
Manganese...0
Silver......0
Titanium....0
Potassium...0
Boron.......157
Silicon.....3
Sodium......0
Calcium.....1711
Magnesium...7
Phosphorus..551
Zinc........698
Barium......0

SUS Vis @ 210*.....53.6
cSt @ 100*.........8.37
Flashpoint..420

It looks to me like it has less stuff, now. Way less Zinc and Phosphorus... and Calcium. But, now it has way more Boron.

Looking forward to seeing UOA's.

This oil is recommended often on here and I just purchased 2x 5 qt bottles for my use. What makes it so good?
They say it's a Synthetic blend, but do not mention a thing about the base stock?? Anyone?
O I paid $11.24 at Walmart $2.25/qt

Originally Posted By: quick_16
This oil is recommended often on here and I just purchased 2x 5 qt bottles for my use. What makes it so good?
They say it's a Synthetic blend, but do not mention a thing about the base stock?? Anyone?
O I paid $11.24 at Walmart $2.25/qt

It says on the back of the bottle "Formulated with synthetic/hydro-processed base oils". I'd guess that means it's a Group II and Group III mix.

Quote:

It says on the back of the bottle "Formulated with synthetic/hydro-processed base oils". I'd guess that means it's a Group II and Group III mix.

I noticed that too. I just put 3400 miles on my truck in the 3 weeks due to a long trip. I decided to use the Motorcraft 5w20 this time in my 4.0 Tacoma. I just got back from a trip to the store and I can noticeably feel the difference. There is a lot less drag on the engine than the 10w30 DuraBlend I was running. I'm sure this oil can hold up for a 3k OCI. I'm just going to stick with Motorcraft and Motorcraft filters due to price. I mean for $15 bucks you just can't beat it. I'll keep putting Syn in my wife Bronco due to her very short trips and low mileage per year.

Quote:
I'm sure this oil can hold up for a 3k OCI.

I don't know how hard your Tacoma is on oil, but Ford's calling for 7,500 mile OCI's with MC 5-20 semi-syn in their '08's and probably '09's too. It goes 5,000 (recommended OCI in my '07) in my Expedition, with a MC820S filter, zero problems.

We run it in everything (mainly Ford V-6's and Modular V-8's), and routinely get 200,000 miles+ out of the vehicles before the PA road salt gets 'em. Works well, and economically priced - a hard combo to beat!!
thumbsup2.gif

The Tacoma is really easy on oil. 95% of all my driving is Highway at 70 MPH for 50 miles at a time. I don't see any reason not to run the Motorcraft 5w20 year round. The most towing I do is a few miles to the ramp with my 17' Carolina Skiff behind me. I have Mobil 1 EP 5w30 that I will probably just return to Advanced Auto.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back