Amsoil ASM 0w20, 2003 Acura MDX, 23920 miles

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oil was in service for just over 12 months (in Ontario Canada)and 23,920 miles. Analysis by Wear Check and they stated oil was suitable for further service.
Question: Any idea how close I was to end of oil life???

Sample Date 18-Apr-08
Oil Amsoil ASM 0W20
Time on Unit 131132 Km
Time on Oil 38272 Km
Time on Fltr 38272 Km
Oil Changed? Yes
Filter Changed? yes
Filter Ea020

CONTAMINATION
Silicon 26
Potassium 0
Sodium 18
Fuel (%) Glycol ---
Water (%) Soot (%) ---
Sulfation 187
Nitration 125

OIL CONDITION

Boron 8.2
Barium 0
Calcium 2564
Magnesium 92
Molybdenum 4
Sodium 18
Phosphorus 581
Sulfur 2042
Zinc 743
Visc@40°C
Visc@100°C 10.8
Oxidation 131
TAN 4.43
TBN

WEAR
Iron 46
Nickel 0.2
Chromium 3.4
Titanium 0.1
Copper 22
Aluminum 12
Tin 0
Lead 3.5
Silver 0

Last edited:
Viscosity/wear metals are excellent. This is a very good report. The TAN is high and there is no Tbn so the oil could be shot but it controlled wear very well for the miles.

23900 miles is almost 24000 miles. Impressive!
Is the MDX mostly driven on highway? my guess would be 80%hwy/20%city and you don't drive hard

Thats nuts. i dont know how to analyze this data but from what buster wrote i am impressed.

nice to see someone run the oil out this far like it is supossedly can do, no by pass filter or anything.

Nice report!

you running the same oil/filter for another oci like this?

I would change it now. That is a lot of miles,1 year,and no TBN. Dump it now. .02.

Originally Posted By: Bulli
23k miles oil change?

Actually 24K.

Thanks for posting! The oil looks to have held up fine through 4 seasons. Wear is good. Yeah too bad there at least isn't a TBN for reference.

I guess we need to mark this for future searches when folks say: "NOBODY ever uses Amsoil over 20K and the oil never makes it anyway". We see these long OCI threads every couple months, and they slip into BITOG oblivion with time.

It's got some stuff you could complain about ..but for 24k the engine is no worse the wear for any of it. Is this one of those Honda-like fuel plagued engines?

Originally Posted By: RI_RS4
This oil died a long time ago.

Nitration and oxidation are out of this world.
The oil is not sealing the rings.
The oil thickened by 20%
Ring and bearing wear is high.
With a TAN so high,you're probably experiencing microcorrosion.

Compare to this VOA/UOA

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubb...rue#Post1014330

The oxidation and nitration on a 200 scale is reasonable for the miles.
The oil is sealing the rings reasonably well.
The viscosity did go from 9 to 10.8, 18.9% but it's not unusual and it's not like 10.8 cSt is road tar!
For the miles Cr and Ni are quite low.
Pb is exceptional showing that microcorrion is not occuring.

I agree, vis. is [censored] good for 24k miles. It went up 1.8 cSt. No big deal. The impressive thing about this report is the oil was able to "control" wear while getting beat up at the end.

Yes the oil is fairly spent - but what were we expecting? The engine is fine.

If I was to pick on anything, maybe the Fe, but if we saw 9 ppm in 5K, maybe we would say "to high"???

Fe is LOW IMO. 150 ppm is usually the cut off. The oil should be spent at 24k miles.

Oxidation is influenced by Nox level. Any solids?

Hey guys,

I did a 9.5k OCI w/ AMSOIL Series 2000 0w30 w/ a Pure One Oil Filter.

Now I'm running SSO 0w30 w/ an EaO oil filter. My UOA at 9500 miles showed an excellent report...I've decided to take the leap of faith and jump up to 15k or beyond. I've put on 7k in the past 3 months, so hopefully in another 6 months I'll have a UOA back after 15-18k miles to provide further evidence, one way or another, of AMSOIL's talk vs. walk.

I do drive pretty ideally for the oil though....no puttering around for me, nor short stops, frequent idles, high grade fuel used in an engine in great condition and through break-in...

Lets see what it can do with the right filter, the right oil, the right engine, the right driver, and no bypass filter. It's also cut down my top-offs to maybe once every 5k. WHich may help it or hurt it....

Joe

Originally Posted By: Pablo
Yes the oil is fairly spent - but what were we expecting? The engine is fine.

If I was to pick on anything, maybe the Fe, but if we saw 9 ppm in 5K, maybe we would say "to high"???

Pablo, actually, you yourself did. The engine in this is the 3.5L V6 honda. You had the following comment on a 2004 Honda Pilot UOA at the beginning of the year. There was 16 ppm of iron after 7637 miles on Mobil 1 0W20.

Quote:
IMHO - I have the same engine and have seen many, many UOA's on this Honda 3.5L in a variety of vehicles, with many oils, tons of driving differences - and again IMHO, your Fe is a might high. Nothing catastrophic, nothing even to worry about, but M1 signature high. The Cr and the Ni also tells me a little.

This is interesting, considering the Cr and Ni were both 1 ppm in that sample. If we now multiply those numbers by 3.13 (23920/7627) we get

Fe - 50 ppm scaled to 23920 miles
Cr - 3.13 ppm scaled to 23920 miles
Ni - 3.13 ppm scaled to 23920 miles

Compare this to the measured

Fe - 46 ppm
Cr - 3.4 ppm
Ni - 0.2 ppm

Good news -- Nickel wear is negligible

Fe and Cr seem to track with mileage and are comparable to the previous Honda Pilot UOA.

Given that these UOA's are comparable, Pablo, why the positive spin on one and the cautionary spin on the other? Could it be that one is your oil?

Last edited:
No actually I did mention that Fe is slightly high in both in my view of things.

My only "positive spin" was the fact that so many people say that NO ONE does 20K+ on Amsoil. And as you point out Ni wear is non-existent.

In truth the wear metals are fine - hardly signs of an oil on a ruinous path.

AND Look at the words I used previously! "….might high. Nothing catastrophic, nothing even to worry about….." Man - you come out on the attack path - get a guy possibly all worked up for nothing- and then say I'm putting a positive spin on the facts! Wow. Please step back and take an objective viewpoint.

Pablo, these are your words, not mine. In one case you say that the Fe is M1 signature high. ( I assume this would be considered a negative. Maybe I'm wrong.) In the other identical case there is no mention of it being an Amsoil signature high.

Pablo, I'm hear to tell you, Nitration and TAN that high are things that should be worried about. you'll be hard pressed to find many UOA's with nitration so high. The rings are not getting a good seal. You do an Amsoil customer a disservice by not alerting him to a potential problem.

I have a 10K mile UOA on an RS4 with 53K total miles where the nitration is 13 on RLI oil. That engine has a 12.5:1 compression ratio.

The Wear Check 5K UOA on a Toyota 1NZ-FE engine running Amsoil ASM 0w20 shows a 13 nitration.

A Dyson Analysis 7600 mile UOA on a honda pilot with the 3.5L V6 running Mobil 1 shows a nitration of 14.

Yet, RealWing has two UOA's which show Nitration out of control,

16K miles with Amsoil TSO 0W30 - Nitration - 101

24K miles with AMsoil ASM 0w20 - Nitration - 125

In my opinion, this engine has a problem with the ring seal. I am not saying that it is necessarily the oil, but it may be a consequence of poor previous oil service, or extended oil drains. This analysis is consistent with a combustion chamber or ring seal problem.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back