Recommended oil for S2000?

Status
Not open for further replies.
So I bought an S2000 and from what I've seen on BITOG Honda engines seem to not be very picky when it comes to oil choice. What would you guys recommend from previous experiences with these screaming little engines? I don't plan on taking it to the track anytime soon so I'll probably just stick to a 10w30 for now and see how that goes. Any input would be greatly appreciated.

In 10w-30, I'd run a thick Euro one like MaxLife Synth or Mobil 1 Hi-Miles. I think Castrol GTX HM is thicker too, and of course german Syntec 0w-30. In your climate, you might want to consider Mobil 1 0w-40 for winter, but maybe in general.

You bought a great car. The S2000 is really fun to drive. I have an '03 S2000, and I've been using Amsoil 0W-30 with excellent results. This oil maintains the correct oil viscosity and lasts forever.

Here are my UOAs along with a description of my setup:
http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Board=3&Number=762073

Many folks use Mobil 1 5w- or 10W-30 with good results, however UOAs have shown this oil to shear out of grade. It doesn't seem to hurt the engine, but I'd be nervous about extending my OCIs past 5000 miles with Mobil 1.

The S2000 isn't hard on oil, so the brand you choose isn't that crucial. But consider using a 0W- or 5W-30 rather than a 10W-30 to get better viscosity at startups.

The only quirk about the S2000 engines, oil wise, is watching the level. I do not know if you are driving AP1 or AP2, but a lot of the early 2.0 engines sip a little oil by nature. I go thru about a quart every 3,000 miles in my 2003. Were 10w-30 a bad call from Honda you would know, as most owners follow it and the engine has built up quite reputation for reliability. A change in oil jet bolts mid-2002 seems to have put an end to scuffed bores. The two killers are low oil and mis-shifts. Otherwise, it is really a pretty tough lump. Use decent oil, OEM filter, keep the level up, and don't stretch the interval too far and it should give you years of fun.

Last edited:
It depends on the start-up temps if a 5W-30 grade oil will really be much thinner than a 10W-30 grade oil
0W-30 grade oils usually are alway's thinner across the temp range, except the famous German Castrol 0W-30.
I'm using Shell Helix 0W-30, UOA is on the way after 19700 km.
And yes.. use the OEM Honda filter: 15400-PCX-004
And double YES: keep your eye on the level: check it frequently.
Even if you think you've figured out what the engine uses it still may decide to use a little more so just make a habbit checking the level.

IMO stay away, far away from "racing oils" in the xW-50/60 grades.
Not good for the oil circulation at 9000 rpm (or 8000 if you have an AP2)
Even the xxW-40 grade oils are not really necessary, Honda (IMO!) mentioned it because of the 5W, not the 40.

0/5/10W-30 grade oils are the way to go.

Have fun driving top down
banana2.gif

Last edited:
I would use the recommended factory weight high quality synthetic such as Amsoil or Pennzoil Platinum.

Keep an eye on the oil level especially if you let the VTEC scream often.

I have a 03 which was the last year for AP1 and the 9000RPM engine and I have been using Redline 5w-30 for almost 3 yrs now, doesn't burn any, change every 6000 miles...Pete

I have used the Amsoil ATM 10w30 and have really liked it. I am now using the SSO 0w30. I would go with Amsoil ATM in 10w30, good oil.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back