Film Strength--Base Oils

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: buster
The best choice for high performance oils are still your PAO's used in conjunction with certain esters. PAO/Ester blends seem to perform best in most applications.

What are you basing that conclusion on?

Originally Posted By: glennc
Originally Posted By: buster
The best choice for high performance oils are still your PAO's used in conjunction with certain esters. PAO/Ester blends seem to perform best in most applications.

What are you basing that conclusion on?

Based upon the consensus among most chemists/formulators and articles I've read over the years.

Not all esters are good. Some suck. Some are superior. I was told by a very knowledgeable individual how important ester selection was. I believe there are over 300 ester types. ??

Most of the oils you see in racing are majority PAO with some ester and a stout additive package. Joe Gibb's racing played around with many different combinations of base oils and settled on a 80% PAO based oil. Mobil 1 R/Shell/ Elf F1 oils are mostly PAO based, with ester component. You don't need to have a majority ester based oil for it to be a good one. Most of these great oils use 20% or less ester. Some synthetics use up to 7 different base oils.

People tend to lump the base oils groups together - this notion that PAO's are terrible at film strength is not exactly true. Which PAO are we talking about?

Anyway, it certainly doesn't take that much additive to greatly enhance the film strength of PAO's in general.

Amsoil uses a variety of esters.....but really - ester may be polar, but how well do pure ester oils do? Not so much. Redline is not a pure ester oil - Redline is a ester/PAO oil.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back