Mobil 1 EP 5w30 10,300 mi Subaru Legacy 2.5

Status
Not open for further replies.
First analysis and first oil change with synthetic oil. Previously done at dealership. Purchased the car with 14,000 miles on it.

I went 10,300 miles on Mobil 1 ep with a fram filter. I had the tbn done just to see how well this oil performed at 10,000 miles since Mobil 1 allegedly claims 15,000 miles. I guess I learned that it won't make it.

When I changed the oil this time I changed my air filter with a subaru oem and switched to the mobil 1 ep oil filter. I am sticking with mobil 1 ep for now, but plan on changing my oil at 7500 as per blackstone's recommendation and reading numerous posts here.

I hope my image is large enough for viewing since this is my first post.

I am looking forward to you all sharing your thoughts.
LegacyApril08.jpg

I can't even read it w/magnifier. Not even close. Results should be typed into the system for permenance anyway.

Originally Posted By: buster
Quote:
EP actually does pretty well.

Not as well as it should.

Yep, gotta agree with you. Looks like blackstone has the iron and lead numbers in bold so I'll take a venture and guess that this uoa is not any different to other M1 UOA's

tbn was 1.6. It was run 10 months.

aluminum 13
chromium 2
iron 18
copper 2
lead 66
tin 0
molybdenum 85
nickel 1
manganese 1
silver 0
titanium 0
potasium 3
boron 45
silicon 22
sodium 11
calcium 2259
magnesium 12
phosphorus 621
zinc 798
barium 0
sus viscosity @210f 59.8
cst viscosity @100c 10.15
flashpoint in f 395
fuel % antifreeze 0
water 0
insolubles .3
tbn 1.6

I tried another image. This time as a print screen.

legacy.jpg
[/img]

Al/Pb are very high. I would switch to Pennzoil Platinum or Amsoil for better results.

Originally Posted By: buster
Al/Pb are very high. I would switch to Pennzoil Platinum or Amsoil for better results.

Ugg. You are right. You were right.

Is this this Subie driven hard? Were there fuel additives used?

VERY high lead numbers, high aluminum, iron is actually decent. Unless the lead was introduced to the oil somehow, I think you can conclude that you have accelerated wear. The oil held up just fine, but it doesn't seem to have protected very well.

I'd try a much shorter run of something (anything) else and see how it compares.

If you want to stick with Mobil1, try the non-EP. I would almost guarantee you get better TBN retention after 10k miles.

98% city driving. My commute to work is roughly 3 miles each way and I come home for lunch. Therefore, about 12 miles a day over 5 days. Then, an occasional trip on the weekend. About 700 miles a month on average on city streets.

Silicon is quite high and engine is not new and bearing wear is high so I think their is a dirt ingestion problem. Quite bad so find out where it could be coming from and fix it. Could just be the filter not fitting snuggly as it should.

I don't think the EP line of oils are as good as they should be for the cost but in this case I think dirt was a much bigger problem than oil choice.

Jag,

I changed the air filter after this uoa and it was filthy. So, hopefully in 7500 miles I'll have a better report.

Originally Posted By: JAG
Silicon is quite high and engine is not new and bearing wear is high so I think their is a dirt ingestion problem. Quite bad so find out where it could be coming from and fix it. Could just be the filter not fitting snuggly as it should.

I don't think the EP line of oils are as good as they should be for the cost but in this case I think dirt was a much bigger problem than oil choice.

22 ppm Si in 10K miles, and solids 0.3% - I guess some grit could be getting in, but I would expect other metals to be a bit higher as well.

I stand with my comments that cars with short trips should get their oil changed more often. PERIOD no matter what oil.

Folks, the NA Subaru motor is known to be easy on the oil (compared to other engines) and I had PP in mine for only 4,400 miles (8 months) and here is 15k (or 1 year) oil in and both had less than good reports.

Thanks Jack (
welcome2.gif
) for the UOA! I'll have another come later this summer with PP again. Sadly, the OCI will incl a long long two week trip to MT, SD, WY and back to UT so a lot of highway operation.

I've never been impressed with Mobil 1, even less with EP and if my UOA comes back less than perfect I will be running back to Halvoline or Pennzoil conventional and 4-5k ocis.

Take care, bill

PS: WAIT! I know what is wrong with Jacks UOA here!!! He ran a Fram oil filter!
grin2.gif

Just kidding Jack...

Thanks for the tbn, months in service, and air filter info. Agree with 7500. Next Uoa should tell the tale.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back