Pennz Plat 5W30 - 7247 Miles - 2.2 Ecotec - 07HHR

Status
Not open for further replies.
HHRUOA1.jpg

Should I be concerned with some of the elevated metals? More so the iron? Also noticed Tin and Chromium this sample. Filter was AC/Delco P457G cartridge filter

This fill saw some pretty bitter temps this winter and a lot of snow lol

Mobil 0W-30 green cap in the sump right now...I'll change that out in 5K to see how we are doing and if metals come down at all

Goose

For 7500 miles...cold weather...Wear metals are low...TBN is still 3.5....viscosity is a solid 30 weight....I wouldn't worry about a thing. I would worry about how I could get Pennz Platinum on sale though! This oil, especially in 5w-30, has proven itself time and time again to be capable of 10,000 mile drain at a minimum. And it holds it's TBN and viscosity with the best long drain oils. What's not to like???

:edit: Plus, I'd be majorly happy I had a 2200 Ecotec under the hood. Maybe one of the best power plants GM has put out in the last couple of decades.

Last edited:
Changing brands of oil makes it hard to trend uoas when looking for/at a potential problem. The iron is fine it is up because there are more miles on the oil. Now you have a different oil with different miles.

True...I guess I'm just curious on different oils and how they fare in my engines. I have a whole bunch of Shell dino I got on the cheap at Walmart..wondering if I should just use that up

Goose

I'd be curious to see UOA results on the new green. Given M1's history, I doubt wear metals will come down as the signature M1 trait is that high iron number. Dunno, time will tell.

Originally Posted By: Cutehumor
OLM percentage??

I want to say 46 %.....I know it was in the mid 40's

Goose

The 2.2 is with little question one of the best power plants produced in many years. We see many 2.2s go past 10K miles with no issues on conventional if highway driven.

Originally Posted By: Brett Miller
PP continues to impress. Definately one of the best oils on the market, especially when considering the price.

thumbsup2.gif

i have that 2.2 in my sunfire...what a oil pennz is...they said change the filter every other time, amazing...i will try this oil next oil change and go 10 k...the engine is ballsy but i wish it got a little better mileage

Originally Posted By: chet2
i have that 2.2 in my sunfire...what a oil pennz is...they said change the filter every other time, amazing...i will try this oil next oil change and go 10 k...the engine is ballsy but i wish it got a little better mileage

Even though this is a tough engine change the filter every time or you're asking for trouble. What's a few dollars for a filter compared to a filter collapse from overuse?

Originally Posted By: Blue_Goose
Originally Posted By: Cutehumor
OLM percentage??

I want to say 46 %.....I know it was in the mid 40's

Goose

Could have been 41% now that I think of it

Goose

I don't think you benefit at all from changing an oil filter early. Filtration actually improves as the filter begins to load up, and modern engines put out very low particulate wear to begin with. The manufacturer's recommendation is probably conservative enough that I'd think it's a good bet that you will get better performance in the second half of the recommended interval than you will in the first.

Originally Posted By: jimgliden
Originally Posted By: chet2

Even though this is a tough engine change the filter every time or you're asking for trouble. What's a few dollars for a filter compared to a filter collapse from overuse?

I run Wix filters for two OCI's, the Insoluables come back the same...less than 0.2. Cut them open after one OCI or two...they look the same. Honda filters are to be changed every 20,000 miles. If you have a good filter, you don't have to worry about "collapse from overuse". Maybe just don't use a GM filter? I actually have no idea of the quality of a GM filter.

Looks good Goose!
thumbsup2.gif

Man, NO GM copper in this engine. (I never saw the high copper either in my Silverado but have seen it in others)

I'd say you got a good one. When the Subaru was being repaired from the accident we had a HHR.

I LIKED it. A lot!

Plus it nailing 33-36 mpg was impressive. (The PT Cruiser was had the week before was lucky to see 25)

This engine will last forever.

Thanks for posting and hope all is well!

Bill

Originally Posted By: jimgliden

Yup

Goose, stick with those Delco Filters.

The supertechs are garbage, causing a bit of a rattle in the morning..

I'm running the cheapo shell $1 per quart oil, no problem for 5k miles.

Originally Posted By: Blue_Goose
Absolutely...filter cost me 5.96...I can afford that!!

Good to hear from you Bill!
19.gif

Accident??

Goose

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back