by lugNutz
08/27/14 09:21 AM
5w50 synthetic?
by 52pu
08/27/14 07:43 AM
Sheet Metal NIBBLER - I Recommend
by larryinnewyork
08/27/14 07:01 AM
Young Pilot has passenger try to take over.
by Shannow
08/27/14 05:36 AM
C-Clip axles and disc brakes
by wirelessF
08/27/14 03:54 AM
Calibration of Canon -fenske viscometers in -51 oC
by Yahya
08/27/14 03:05 AM
New lower valance (garbage find)
by Realtech214
08/27/14 02:49 AM
8/27-9/30 O'Reilly Sales Ad
by tenderloin
08/27/14 02:00 AM
monroe sensa trac vs rancho rs5000
by FLORIDA
08/27/14 01:44 AM
Opti-Coat has been discontinued for consumers
by The Critic
08/27/14 01:42 AM
8/26-9/22 AutoZone Sales Ad
by tenderloin
08/27/14 01:40 AM
Newest Members
rayzn1123, EricWalls, mikejanczak, 1972, HondaSpider
51111 Registered Users
Who's Online
100 registered (440Magnum, 05LGTLtd, 19jacobob93, 97tbird, 29662, 7 invisible), 1765 Guests and 343 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
51111 Members
64 Forums
218351 Topics
3442676 Posts

Max Online: 2862 @ 07/07/14 03:10 PM
Donate to BITOG

Page 3 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >
Topic Options
#1117018 - 03/28/08 10:32 PM Re: Lexus RX330 complete brake job [Re: The Critic]
PT1 Offline

Loc: near the mistake
 Originally Posted By: The Critic
 Originally Posted By: PT1
The Highlanders share the same rear rotors and pads with your car, but only the 2006-2007 models use the same front pads. None of the Highlanders share the same front rotors.

I think the Raybestos catalog is wrong. It's impossible for the vehicle to use the same rotors for the front and the rear. It doesn't make any sense for the vehicle to use solid rotors in the front.

The Centric part numbers were correct all along.

Yes but Lexus has 2 different part numbers as well.

I guess I'll just have to wait for your rotor measurements.

I think what I'll do is take a trip to the dealer and have them open up one of each and see what the sizes really are. We know the Japan build is 12.56" Well just went out and eyeballed it with a tape measure and it definitely NOT 12.56 (wife thinks I'm nuts ) it is just about 12" \:\(

Edited by PT1 (03/28/08 10:39 PM)

#1117117 - 03/29/08 04:52 AM Re: Lexus RX330 complete brake job [Re: PT1]
Char Baby Offline

Loc: Rochester NY
PT1,
Im currently using the Akebono Ceramics Pads(F&R) along with Brembo Rotors(F&R) on our 01 RX-300. I purchaced everything from thetirerack. The total cost was a little less(although not much) after shipping than rockauto. I love them. Smooth and quiet with great initial bite and very smooth progressive slow downs even prior to the ABS kicking in. I installed them last April so the vehicle has now been driven in all types of weather here in Upstate NY. Very little light colored dusting on the wheels that comes clean quickly and the brake peddle feels even better than the OE or even the Satisfied Brand Ceramics(also from thetirerack), that I used prior to the Akebono Ceramics. What I mean is, the brake peddal doesn't have that typical Toyota/Lexus squishy brake peddal feel that is often felt in so many (not all) of their cars. But, the peddal still has a fine luxury feel to it. No squeel or noises of any kind but, I did the instalation my self as I don't let anyone touch my brakes. I couldn't pay anyone enough money to do the thorough job that I do. From cleaning the crud from the anti-rattle clips, to lubing the sliders to properly lubing the back of the pads and making any small adjustments(if needed) to bleeding/flush the whole system and getting new brake fluid through the even the ABS modulator/actuator. I bleed/flush everything in the proper sequence.

1980 Firebird FORMULA V8
2001 Lexus RX-300 V6
2004 Nissan Altima 2.5S
2006 Mazda 3i 2.0L

#1117293 - 03/29/08 10:57 AM Re: Lexus RX330 complete brake job [Re: PT1]
Rtstrider Offline

Loc: Southeast
To be honest I did this brake job on my mom's car last night. Keep in mind this is only the second time I've EVER replaced brake pads in my entire life. The hardest part was figuring out how to jack the car up with scissor stands. To make it simple, I used the floor jack that comes with the 330, then used a scissor jack behind the wheel, and then used 2 jack stands up front on the frame in the radiator area. I got it done, though and all is well, and the pad job itself was VERY easy, and yes I reused everything but the pads, lol.

#1117323 - 03/29/08 11:54 AM Re: Lexus RX330 complete brake job [Re: Char Baby]
PT1 Offline

Originally Posted By: Char Baby
PT1,
Im currently using the Akebono Ceramics Pads(F&R) along with Brembo Rotors(F&R) on our 01 RX-300. I purchaced everything from thetirerack. The total cost was a little less(although not much) after shipping than rockauto. I love them. Smooth and quiet with great initial bite and very smooth progressive slow downs even prior to the ABS kicking in. I installed them last April so the vehicle has now been driven in all types of weather here in Upstate NY. Very little light colored dusting on the wheels that comes clean quickly and the brake peddle feels even better than the OE or even the Satisfied Brand Ceramics(also from thetirerack), that I used prior to the Akebono Ceramics. What I mean is, the brake peddal doesn't have that typical Toyota/Lexus squishy brake peddal feel that is often felt in so many (not all) of their cars. But, the peddal still has a fine luxury feel to it. No squeel or noises of any kind but, I did the instalation my self as I don't let anyone touch my brakes. I couldn't pay anyone enough money to do the thorough job that I do. From cleaning the crud from the anti-rattle clips, to lubing the sliders to properly lubing the back of the pads and making any small adjustments(if needed) to bleeding/flush the whole system and getting new brake fluid through the even the ABS modulator/actuator. I bleed/flush everything in the proper sequence.

Brembo has not released the front rortrs for the 330 into aftermarket yet. SO tire rack was not an option. \:\( What is the sequence for the bleed? How did you bleed the abs pump? FWIW I got the raybestos rotors and ceramic pads and my local parts guy matched the rockauto price. What lube do you use for the back of the pads? I have a really good indy wrench for my Toyota & Honda vehicles but he is on the other side of town. So I have decided to add brake jobs to my service capabilities because now thanks to Santa I have 2 new floor jacks and a 160lb compressor with a 33 gallon tank and 1/2 & 3/8 impact drivers so the job should go real easy.

Edited by PT1 (03/29/08 11:58 AM)

#1117325 - 03/29/08 11:57 AM Re: Lexus RX330 complete brake job [Re: Rtstrider]
ChiTDI Offline

Loc: Chicago IL
 Originally Posted By: Rtstrider
To be honest I did this brake job on my mom's car last night. Keep in mind this is only the second time I've EVER replaced brake pads in my entire life. The hardest part was figuring out how to jack the car up with scissor stands. To make it simple, I used the floor jack that comes with the 330, then used a scissor jack behind the wheel, and then used 2 jack stands up front on the frame in the radiator area. I got it done, though and all is well, and the pad job itself was VERY easy, and yes I reused everything but the pads, lol.

Congrats, that's what this forum is about!

#1117328 - 03/29/08 12:01 PM Re: Lexus RX330 complete brake job [Re: Rtstrider]
PT1 Offline

Originally Posted By: Rtstrider

You need to get a good tool catalog and post it where everyone can see it about 3 months before Christmas with the tools you want outlined in sharpie marker.....no more socks & fish ties for me....... ;\)

#1117429 - 03/29/08 03:41 PM Re: Lexus RX330 complete brake job [Re: PT1]
The Critic Offline

Loc: Walnut Creek, CA
Brembo has not released the front rortrs for the 330 into aftermarket yet. SO tire rack was not an option. \:\( What is the sequence for the bleed? How did you bleed the abs pump? FWIW I got the raybestos rotors and ceramic pads and my local parts guy matched the rockauto price. What lube do you use for the back of the pads? I have a really good indy wrench for my Toyota & Honda vehicles but he is on the other side of town. So I have decided to add brake jobs to my service capabilities because now thanks to Santa I have 2 new floor jacks and a 160lb compressor with a 33 gallon tank and 1/2 & 3/8 impact drivers so the job should go real easy.

Which model rotors and pads were you able to buy? Did you get the Advanced Technology Ceramic pads (Part # begins with ATD) or did purchase the Quiet Stop (Part # is PGDXXXXQS)

#1117439 - 03/29/08 03:57 PM Re: Lexus RX330 complete brake job [Re: The Critic]
The Critic Offline

You can use Permatex synthetic caliper grease or their ceramic extreme brake parts lubricant.

#1117700 - 03/29/08 10:18 PM Re: Lexus RX330 complete brake job [Re: The Critic]
PT1 Offline

Which model rotors and pads were you able to buy? Did you get the Advanced Technology Ceramic pads (Part # begins with ATD) or did purchase the Quiet Stop (Part # is PGDXXXXQS)

I got the ATD pads and the regular old style rotors because they don't have the ATD rotors for the front ones yet. Or if they do the parts guy could'nt find a part number for them.(I did ask) The front Canadian build ones from Raybestos are a special order item and it will take a week to get them.

#1117723 - 03/29/08 10:54 PM Re: Lexus RX330 complete brake job [Re: PT1]
The Critic Offline

I got the ATD pads and the regular old style rotors because they don't have the ATD rotors for the front ones yet. Or if they do the parts guy could'nt find a part number for them.(I did ask) The front Canadian build ones from Raybestos are a special order item and it will take a week to get them.

I see. The Affina catalog already lists the sub-brand as "ADV," so maybe that is Advanced Technology style rotor already? Don't know.

So you're going with the larger vented rotors for the front, and the smaller solid rotors for the rear?

Do you think you can post a picture of that ATD pad? I'm curious if they use the detachable style shim for those pads. I noticed that on much of the ATD line-up, they switched from the riveted shim to a clip type.

#1117768 - 03/30/08 12:42 AM Re: Lexus RX330 complete brake job [Re: The Critic]
PT1 Offline

I see. The Affina catalog already lists the sub-brand as "ADV," so maybe that is Advanced Technology style rotor already? Don't know.

So you're going with the larger vented rotors for the front, and the smaller solid rotors for the rear?

Do you think you can post a picture of that ATD pad? I'm curious if they use the detachable style shim for those pads. I noticed that on much of the ATD line-up, they switched from the riveted shim to a clip type.

Yeah the front rotors are vented and the rears are solid and smaller diameter. I'll try to post a pic when the parts come in. FWIW, the Lexus factory pads use clips.

#1117770 - 03/30/08 12:45 AM Re: Lexus RX330 complete brake job [Re: PT1]
The Critic Offline

Yeah the front rotors are vented and the rears are solid and smaller diameter. I'll try to post a pic when the parts come in. FWIW, the Lexus factory pads use clips.

Yeah, but they aren't the same kind of clip-ons. The Lexus/Toyota, Honda/Acura, Nissan/Infiniti OE clip-on shims are user detachable. The aftermarket clip-on shims that Raybestos, Centric and Akebono use appear as though they are clip-on, and they are, but they are not meant to be detached by the user. Do not try to separate the shim from the backing plate, they are attached very tightly for a reason. On the other hand, the OE style clip-on shims are meant to be removed by the installer to apply grease.

#1117875 - 03/30/08 06:57 AM Re: Lexus RX330 complete brake job [Re: The Critic]
Char Baby Offline

PT1,
1st: The lubracant that I used on the back of the pads and on the sliders was Permatex Silicone Brake Lube. It's a white plastic jar that has a long brush attached to the lid and the lube is a dark green in color...2nd, the typical procedure for bleeding the hydrolic brake system according to the service manual is in this sequence:(I use a Mite-Vac Brake Pump), Pass Rear, Drive Rear, Pass Front, Drive Front. At the end I also bleed out the "ABS Actuator Assembly" which is located just beneath the resivior for your coolant and has it's own bleeder valve at the top. The service manual that I have mentions nothing about bleeding the "ABS Actuator Assembly". I like to do this anyway. Since the ABS Actuator Assembly is located where it is, one can bleed it in this sequence: Pass Rear, Drive Rear, Pass Front, ABS Actuator Assembly, Drive Front. I've done both ways and it doesn't seem to matter. I don't use any particular brake fluid as long as it meet the proper spec and I haven't seen one that doesn't. Any DOT 3/4 on sale. Be sure to use anti-seeze on the bolts for the caliper holddown bracket. Any other questions that you have, I'll be more than happy to help if I can.

1980 Firebird FORMULA V8
2001 Lexus RX-300 V6
2004 Nissan Altima 2.5S
2006 Mazda 3i 2.0L

#1118215 - 03/30/08 03:32 PM Re: Lexus RX330 complete brake job [Re: Char Baby]
PT1 Offline

Originally Posted By: Char Baby
PT1,
1st: The lubracant that I used on the back of the pads and on the sliders was Permatex Silicone Brake Lube. It's a white plastic jar that has a long brush attached to the lid and the lube is a dark green in color...2nd, the typical procedure for bleeding the hydrolic brake system according to the service manual is in this sequence:(I use a Mite-Vac Brake Pump), Pass Rear, Drive Rear, Pass Front, Drive Front. At the end I also bleed out the "ABS Actuator Assembly" which is located just beneath the resivior for your coolant and has it's own bleeder valve at the top. The service manual that I have mentions nothing about bleeding the "ABS Actuator Assembly". I like to do this anyway. Since the ABS Actuator Assembly is located where it is, one can bleed it in this sequence: Pass Rear, Drive Rear, Pass Front, ABS Actuator Assembly, Drive Front. I've done both ways and it doesn't seem to matter. I don't use any particular brake fluid as long as it meet the proper spec and I haven't seen one that doesn't. Any DOT 3/4 on sale. Be sure to use anti-seeze on the bolts for the caliper holddown bracket. Any other questions that you have, I'll be more than happy to help if I can.

Is your mity vac a vacuum pump or power bleeder? I have a motive power extractor that I was going to use. Will that work ok? Did you use the old fasioned pump method afterwards?

#1118279 - 03/30/08 05:58 PM Re: Lexus RX330 complete brake job [Re: PT1]
Char Baby Offline

PT 1
More like a fluid extractor. One man operation. Connects to the caliper bleeder valve. Pump up the vacuum and then open the bleeder valve on the caliper. Captures the fluid in it's own little attached jar. Does not connect the the break master cylinder like a power bleeder. A bit low tech and low cost but, works great and have been using it for many years older non ABS equiped as well as the newer vehicles with ABS, VSC, Traction Control etc.(vehicles that use the brakes to gain traction in foul weather).

1980 Firebird FORMULA V8
2001 Lexus RX-300 V6
2004 Nissan Altima 2.5S
2006 Mazda 3i 2.0L

Page 3 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >