Mobil 1 'Green Cap" 0W-30 AFE, VOA

Status
Not open for further replies.
Dumped this in the sump of an 05 Malibu this week.

Oil: Mobil 1 (M1) Green Cap 0W-30 AFE, SM & CF-4, Date of Manufacture Feb 2008

Lab: Blackstone
MI/HR ON OIL:
MI/HR ON UNIT:
DATE: 3-27-2008

ALUMINUM: 0
CHROMIUM: 0
IRON: 1
COPPER: 0
LEAD: 0
TIN: 0
MOLY: 92
NICKEL: 0
MANGANESE: 0
SILVER: 0
TITANIUM: 0
POTASSIUM: 0
BORON: 64
SILICON: 6
SODIUM: 4
CALCIUM: 2310
MAGNESIUM: 14
PHOSPHOROUS: 710
ZINC: 857
BARIUM: 0

SUS VISC. @210F: 59.5
Cst Visc. @100C: 10.07
Flashpoint: 440
Fuel %: —–
Antifreeze %: —–
Water %:0.0
Insolubles %:0.0
TBN:
TAN:
ISO Code:

EOM Datasheet lists the viscosity of this oil as 11cst @100C...quite a bit lower here. This is the same viscosity as the 10W-30 M1...(10.0 cst)

It would make sense that the oil would be closer to 10cst to get better economy...I wonder if EOM mixed-up data sheets when they posted them..?

Beyond that, this oil seems to have a typical M1 add-pack....

Really glad Mobil1 is making this oil readily available again. I have a 95.5 rodeo I have had since new that deleveloped the infamous "valve ticking" due to stuck valve-lash adjusters. Isuzu had a TSB that called for using Mobil1 0w30 to cure which worked like a charm. Went back to Mobil1 5w30 for a number of years and it came back on strong. Couldn't find Mobil 0w30 so I use the German Castrol 0w30 which made the car louder than ever.
Found the 0w30 at WalMart, put it in and within a day the ticking is gone! Car sounds strange because I have grown so used to the ticking.

Happy that Mobil is advertising as "fuel savings" oil but I am so irritated with this company. They make a good oil but they are the worst at changing things constantly with their line up.

resslera, I thing the availability reflects the retailers, not the manufacturer. Out here there was a parts store that had cases and cases of M1 0w-30. The manager was telling people to be careful using it because it’s too thin for Southern California, way to thin. He was so upset at the home office for continuing to send it when he said he could not in good faith sell it to his customers. I asked him what it would take to buy his whole supply and got it for a buck a bottle, 128 bottles. I gave most of it to a shop that does free service work for seniors and a group that supplies transportation to seniors. We held an oil change party at the shop and changed the oil for about 20 vehicles with filters and tune up supplies donated by a motorcycle club.

The manager of that parts store is really worried now. He’s made a deal with the shop to sell the dangerous 0w-30 at cost to them to continue their work with the old folks’.

So blame your problems on the retailers and not Mobil.

Good point on the retailer bit. Didn't quite think about it like that. But, Mobil 1 is always changing their tactics. Remember when their Mobil 1 Truck/SUV was 5w40? Then it went to Truck/SUV 5w30. Now 5w40 is back as some "european" formula (can't remember specifics). Just wish they would stick to one game plan.

"Dangerous" 0w30? You think someone would have clued this guy in that 0w30, 5w30, and 10w30 are all 30 weight oils at operating temp?

None the less, I am still excited that 0w30 Mobil 1 is readily available at Wal Mart. Great oil!

EPA says going to 10w-30 from 5w-30 can kill 1-2 mpg off your score. 0w-30 might be a good call.

Originally Posted By: Audi Junkie
EPA says going to 10w-30 from 5w-30 can kill 1-2 mpg off your score. 0w-30 might be a good call.
Doubt the 1 to 2 mpg.

Originally Posted By: Steve S
Doubt the 1 to 2 mpg.

I changed my oil in February from a 5w-30 to a 10w-30, and the mileage on my last fill-up was .75 mpg better. It could be the summer blend fuel coming back.

Originally Posted By: Loobed

It could be the summer blend fuel coming back.

That would be a big YES!!!! I have moved up 1 mpg myself this month.

I would bet that the majority of parts store people and working mechanics will say that 0W-30 is "too thin" for a car which specs 5W-30 or 10W-30. Often what everybody knows isn't worth knowing, because it is mostly simply wrong.

Whatever the OEM specs is what you should stick to.

Toyota released a TB a short while ago mentioning 5W-20 was acceptable for the Yaris (and other platforms), in order to reduce fuel consumption. 0W-30 may be alright, but I wouldn't be the one to test it out.

0W-30 has been around for a good while, even with some OEM approvals for certain climates. Key issue is how quick the engine oil pressure gets to ALL areas of the motor upon initial fire-up . . . or so they claim as that initial fire-up is when the bulk of engine wear happens (or so they claimed). Less wear, better fuel economy, sounds "win-win"?

CBODY67

Originally Posted By: Steve S
Doubt the 1 to 2 mpg.

I posed the question on a Cadillac board once, regarding using 10w-30 M1 in my dad's car vs. 5w-30. A GM powertrain engineer was a member of the site at the time and told me the 10w-30 would get about 0.5 mpg less but otherwise it was okay to run.
I might try the M1 MPG oil in my truck. Looking at the savings chart on the bottle, it seems like it would pay for itself about the same time my lease is up.

Originally Posted By: Johnny
Well, according to Mobil's website, this is the same product as their other 0W-30, just different color caps and wording.

Johnny is right,my information said the same thing,great oil!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back