V 0-----------------0----------------------------0
Cd-----------------------------------------------0
Li-----------------------------------------------0
Sb-----------------------------------------------0

Visc 100C= 8.49------8.73------------------------8.73

TBN= 6.9-------------3.67------------------------3.25

Fuel= 0--------------
Water=0--------------0---------------------------
Not bad for one of the lowest priced dinos around during a Maine winter! Engine is wearing well and I will now begin extending my oil drains. Installed Schaeffer Supreme 7000 5w-30 and a Pure One filter when this oil was changed at the time of sampling. Will sample again around 15,000 vehicle miles.

Last edited:
It looks very good considering the climate. All wear metals seem to be falling in line.

You should have put this in the UOA section though.

looks really good. No wonder when I went to the walmart here all the formula shell that was on clearance was gone, you came and grabbed it all up apparently :)

The SM spec. is better than the SL and this SL formulation looks like it could go 5k miles quite easy. 5 - 6k miles with the SM Formula Shell should be no problem.

I bought this FormulaShell just before or shortly after the SM formulation came out. This was the last of it I had.

REDDOG

This engine looks to be broken-in already. I have 6,100 miles on my 07 Altima 2.5. I did a OCI at 1K, 3K, 5K, and then at 6K. I used Chevron Supreme on the first three. I just put in some PP on the latest.

I only drive 4.2 miles to work. So i'm going to stick with a OCI every three months. I bought the PP on sale for $.99 a quart. I will probably go back to dino in three months. I have a case of the Formula Shell in my garage. CSK always has it on sale for $1.49 a quart.

Originally Posted By: REDDOG
I bought this FormulaShell just before or shortly after the SM formulation came out. This was the last of it I had.

REDDOG

I did the same. I bought most of mine from the corner Walgreens where they kept dropping it to near $1.

Wow, impressive wear numbers, too! Those Rogues are neat little SUVs.

Thanks, Brian.

I am extremely happy with the Rogue thus far. The CVT is fantastic-hard to explain, one has to drive it. As long as the thing holds together it will be be win/win all the way around.

The QR25DE is winning me over. Excellent power/economy with the CVT-this engine is also really smooth and quiet unless your really whipping it. I had heard mixed reviews on the QR prior to owning one, but I'm not finding any fault.

How's fuel econ? I've seen quite a few on the streets around here.

As for the Formula Shell, I use it frequently in my CR-V. Never had an issue.

Wife's averaging 24-25 mpg with a mix of city/highway driving in cold weather. I have not had the opportunity to check any straight highway runs but I'm thinking 28-30 mpg is very attainable. The CVT is sensitive to driving style as far as fuel economy is concerned because it will keep the rpms up if your in the throttle alot. The wife tends to lean toward the aggressive side. I'll be taking a trip to Boston soon, so I should be able to get some solid highway figures then.

I like the FormulaShell-especially for the price. I need to lengthen my drain intervals, though, otherwise OC's would be hard to keep up with.

REDDOG

HI REDDOG i dont see how Schaeffers can do better then Shell ,you can easily go 6,000 on this oil . Formula Shell has got to be the most underrated oil on this site.

Yes, in the summer the Shell probably would go 6k, but given the TBN over the last two samples, I think it would be pushing it during the winter.

I agree, FormulaShell does seem to be under rated. It is certainly better than it's price would indicate. I liked the way it behaved in the cold. No teeth grinding required during sub zero starts!

As far as the Schaeffer's goes-we'll see. My 1st sample will have +/-7500 miles on it. My plan is to use 7500 mile drain intervals so all the maintanence items such as tire rotation, etc, come due all at the same time. Also, this is Nissan's max drain interval.

I don't expect the Schaeffer's to do "better" as far as wear metals-these are already better than I could hope for. I'm not going to split hairs on every little ppm, I just feel the Schaeffer's will cost effectively allow a drain interval that won't have me under the car quite so often. With kids and our work schedules it's definately more difficult finding time to get the car stuff done, even as much as I enjoy it.

REDDOG

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back