'07 BMW Z4MC Castrol TWS 10W-60

Status
Not open for further replies.
Blackstone Oil Report:

"Wear looks pretty good in the first sample from your BMW. We usually find wear and silicon
higher than this in new engines. They must have been wearing white gloves when they assembled your
BMW because it looks like it's nearly past break-in at just 5,288 miles. Iron will likely halve in the next
sample with all other wear reading at or below universal average levels. Those averages are based on an
oil run of ~4,700 miles for the S-54 engine. No harmful contaminants were found and the viscosity of the oil
read normally. No problems were found.
Sample taken:03/12/08
Gasoline (Unleaded)
Oil: Castrol TWS 10W/60
Engine: BMW 3.2L (S-54) Inline 6 Cylinder
Miles on oil: 3,820 Miles
Mileage on vehicle: 5,288 Miles
MANGANESE 3
ALUMINUM 6
CHROMIUM 0
IRON 19
COPPER 9
LEAD 2
TIN 0
MOLYBDENUM 3
NICKEL 1
SILVER 0
TITANIUM 0
POTASSIUM 2
BORON 122
SILICON 6
SODIUM 5
CALCIUM 1594
MAGNESIUM 697
PHOSPHORUS 882
ZINC 1028
BARIUM 1

Interesting to see how much nicer this engine wears in than the Mini Cooper engines, which actually seem to be pretty awful in the metals department.

Would be good to get info on the oil: viscosity, flashpoint, contamination etc.

Originally Posted By: jmillet
SUS Viscosity @ 210°F 91.2

Looks like an Xw-50 weight, on the thin side. But I think this oil is known for shearing out of grade relatively easily.

Originally Posted By: AEHaas
"...and the viscosity of the oil read normally."

I too would be interested in this number.

aehaas

My experience with TWS is that it shears to 17.4 CSt@100C very quickly - within about 500 miles - and then stays there (+/- about 0.2 CSt) for the next 10,000 or so. While that was in a M5 with the 5 liter V8, I doubt that it would be radically different in any other engine.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back