Amsoil ATF direct replacement for Honda ATF-Z1???

Status
Not open for further replies.
I will be towing with my Honda Pilot this summer, at times up and down the mountains, at other times in high heat, and with a trailer that's right at the limit of the Pilot's rated towing capacity. I want to make sure the ATF is going to survive all this stuff. I do have an ATF cooler that exceeds that Honda recommends, but I wonder if Amsoil ATF is a suitable replacement for the Honda Z1 ATF or if there is a chance it could cause shifting problems. The Pilot is my daily driver as well so I'd like to keep the trans shifting as nicely as it does now. The Hondas seem to be picky about their ATF. What about the differential fluid? Honda recommends their ZTM-4 fluid. Is there a suitable synthetic replacement that will maintain the current performance? Anyone tried this before or have other insights to share?

Many thanks in advance.

You did not say what year, so I looked up a 2005 Pilot on the Amsoil website and they listed the Amsoil synthetic ATF that has a part number ATFxxx. You should look your exact year under Product Information. Its great ATF fluid.

Consider a filter like a Magnefine.

You can do a cooling line flush yourself to get the new ATF in your vehicle. Its the most cost effective way, especially with expensive ATF.

Oh yeah I guess that's important. It's a 2006 Honda Pilot EX-L with 4WD. I'm most concerned about shift quality with the Amsoil ATF product. I've heard stories about hard shifting when using a non-Honda fluid, and I don't want to do anything that will adversely affect the transmission performance. Amsoil says their ATF product is compatible with Z-1, but these Hondas seem to be picky about their various fluids.

Thanks Donald...

I have performed two drain/fills with Royal Purple Max ATF in my 2007 Civic LX. The only real difference is a slight notchy feeling sometimes when I come to a full stop. Other than that, the Max ATF appears to be superior to the Honda Z1 ATF in all respects. The transmission whine has all but ceased. I am planning on performing a third drain/fill at some point this week.

I been using the Amsoil U. ATF in my Accord and CRV for over four years and I've liked it.

I noticed an improvment in the Accord V6 but could not notice any difference in the CRV.

We've had Amsoil ATF in our 2006 Honda Odyssey for over 20,000 miles now. Absolutely no change in shift quality noticed by my picky wife (or me).

The few comments on slightly crisper shifts have come from smaller Honda automobiles. Three comments, 2 were 4 cylinder cars, the other was a V6 IIRC.

I'd also change it after the towing, not before.

I've researched this subject for sometime and found no definitive proof (or disproof) that "universal" ATF will harm your transmission (specifically as a Z1 replacement for my Accord)
There is a single Honda tranny UOA showing elevated wear using Amsoil ATF after switching from Z1 - but it is inconclusive as to why. This UOA came from benjamming.

If you want to be on "manufacturer's" safe side - get Z1 and change it every once in a while (this is what I am doing for now until I find more definitive answer).
If you want to guess and potentially get a superior fluid for your transmission - Amsoil ATF would be my choice.

Check out Accord ATF thread it will give you some more info.

Originally Posted By: J. A. Rizzo
Oh yeah I guess that's important. It's a 2006 Honda Pilot EX-L with 4WD. I'm most concerned about shift quality with the Amsoil ATF product. I've heard stories about hard shifting when using a non-Honda fluid, and I don't want to do anything that will adversely affect the transmission performance. Amsoil says their ATF product is compatible with Z-1, but these Hondas seem to be picky about their various fluids.

Thanks Donald...

I doubt you could do better than Amsoil ATF. I have not read one post in this forum where people did not praise Amsoil ATF in a variety of trannys including Honda.

Its the long term and cold temp that you will see most benefit with a synthetic ATF. I'll bet if you find your tranny works worse with Amsoil ATF, they will refund your money.

It's been over a year and I was just wondering if any opinions/facts have changed on this subject?

The dealer wants $10/qt for Z1, which is about the same as Amsoil...

Again, to balance what seems to be the biggest issue with replacing Z1 with Amsoil ATF. It has nothing to do with the actual quality of the fluids themselves (other than your reason to get rid of the Z1). The issue is that people are afraid to loose any "goodwill" from AHC in the event of tranny failure.

With that said, I'm pretty sure that the Pilot and Odyssey share the same tranny. Therefore, I can tell you that the transmission in your 06 Pilot is of a slightly superior design to that of earlier versions (03-04). While failures do occur, they are not quite as frequent with your transmission.

Folks on the other forum that I post on regularly report that there is no decrease in overall shift quality with Amsoil. Therefore, as long as you are comfortable in handling the cost's associated with any tranny failure without Honda's help (if out of warranty), then I would second the use of Amsoil because it is a superior product to the dino based Z1.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back