Rebuilding the GM 4T60E

Status
Not open for further replies.
The transmission in the Trans Sport starting giving troubles about 20,000 km ago - did a drain and fill which appeared to solve it, but now it's kaput.

Forward gear engages, although with all the snow here I haven't road tested it to see if all the gears are present. Reverse does not engage - there is no "thump" like the rest of the gears and I can hear a scraping noise for as long as I stay in that gear. What are some possible causes? Reverse piston seal? Clutch?

If you think a rebuild can save this transmission, what are some good kits? There's the stock AC Delco kit, but I've heard that the OEM materials allow for slippage. There are supposedly aftermarket rebuild kits that eliminate this slippage and you have to unplug the PWM solenoid; anyone know who makes these and if they would be a better choice?

That's...tentative. I'm sure I can figure out the rebuild in a few weekends, but getting it out of the van is a big problem. The 4T60E weighs about 150-200 pounds, I'm told, and I don't have the proper equipment to get it out.

I'll probably end up taking it to a local non-dealership mechanic along with a good rebuild kit to have them do the grunt work.
wink.gif

Edit: Unless the job can be done with the transmission on the vehicle. I haven't taken a good look at it - possible?

Last edited:
Not bad...

Although it looks like just shipping the core back is about the same cost as eating the core deposit.

What do you think about picking up a junkyard core, rebuilding it, and then having a shop swap them out? I could then rebuild my current unit and sell that as well.

In that case how would I test the transmission to know if the rebuild went well?

Originally Posted By: Squishy
What do you think about picking up a junkyard core, rebuilding it, and then having a shop swap them out? I could then rebuild my current unit and sell that as well.

This was my plan when my Mustang's T45 started grinding going into 5th gear. I'd buy one from a junkyard (preferably a Tremec!), rebuild it, then swap it in.

I then could rebuild the original and sell. Or, take it to the junkyard.

Problem is that the grinding has now gone away, so I can't really justify doing it yet...

later,
b

Check out "Bulkpart.com". Get one of the rebuild books to help you make your mind up about doing it. Check out the Alto clutch plates and put in a Transgo kit designed for towing. No way it can be done in the car, you can get a cheap trans jack from Harbour Freight for about $40. "Master Kits" will have the seals, gaskets and clutches I believe, you will have to get any "Hard Parts" in addition.

This is from a Google search I did on rebuilding it. Any idea what they're talking about re: slippage?

Quote:
For those kits, you would probably be getting the updates, however, how would you know if the tranny shop put them in as well, I know when I went to price out my 93 Lumina, the tranny shop quoted me 2600 plus tax, 3000 all in or so, and that it would have the updates included. They also told me that they disable the PWM, solenoid. I understood that with the 'factory' plates and clutches, they are made of a material that allows 'slippage', the ones they would be putting in needed to be mated right away ie no slippage, hence taking out the pwm solenoid. In those kits, the clutch discs come, as well as the seals, what does NOT come is the bands, in the 4T60-e you have 3 of them, they go for about 100 dollars each, you probably can get them cheaper. Changing the final drive is very easy, when you dig into the transmission, at the small end, you will come to the diff section, one snap ring holds it place and out it comes, just swap it for another, it is all one unit, the exciter ring for the vss is on the end of it. Honestly, rebuilding it is easier than most other jobs. You will be shaking your head at the end of it, and you will never look at a tranny shop again, its a real special feeling to be able to do it.

Site here: http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/cad...uild-4t60e.html

I've got a transmission overhaul manual plus Mitchell and AllData here, so I should be good to go in that regard. I still don't think I want to bother with removing all that [censored] like the tie rods, halfshafts, hub, etc. to get it out. The engine on the dustbuster-style Trans Sports lies pretty much halfway inside the passenger compartment, so everything is a ***** to get at.

Automatics are just something I don't touch so I'm not much help. I've always taken my automatics to a rebuilder. I pull them myself but let someone else do the inside work.

You need some special tools to take it apart and put it together none very expensive as far as tools go "pullers and a press." Measure the endplay before taking it apart. keep the parts in order and keep the parts clean .get a manual.

Edit: Unless the job can be done with the transmission on the vehicle. I haven't taken a good look at it - possible? [/quote Can't be done in place.

I paid $2000 to get a 4T60-E rebuilt a few years ago. I had the rebuilder beef it up with some HD parts. I drove the car another 70K after the rebuild to just under 200K miles. When I sold it, it was still shifting perfect. In fact, looking back I'm sorry I sold that car.

Originally Posted By: Steve S
You need some special tools to take it apart and put it together none very expensive as far as tools go "pullers and a press." Measure the endplay before taking it apart. keep the parts in order and keep the parts clean .get a manual.
I have both of those tools. As long as it isn't some $150 tool that is specific to transmission rebuilds, I am willing to shell out the money for it.

mstrjon32 - do you remember what those HD parts were? Just out of a 4T60E-HD?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back