How to get rid of smoke smell, zeolite = oil dry?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Need to get rid of bad smoke smell in a subaru. Found excellent thread below that says clean first to attack the tar, then use zeolite to absorb odors. So two questions:

1) What is best cleaner to remove old smoke tar (for both cloth seats and dash, etc.)? I am thinking simple green? I am looking for a readily avaiable product, not mail order.

2) Isn't that cheap oil dry you put on the garage floor zeolite? If so, I could just put it in a rubbermaid tub in the back and change periodically as that stuf is real cheap.

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubb...rue#Post1076807

Thanks for your input

This is what I did on my Uncle's car and it works, go too the grocery store and buy a dozen apples, come home and cut them in sections, then put them on small plates all around the inside of your car, on the seats, floor, console, back window if you can, then close the car up, meaning have the windows closed, let it sit for 24 hours, the apples will absorb the smoke smell, and your car will smell like apple martini's for a few days. Obviously after 24 hours you need to through the apples away.

I had researched on the internet how to eliminate smoky odors from car interiors and repeatedly came across references to a product called OdoBan. I purchased a gallon concentrate at Sam's Club and it is also available at WalMart and other retailers. It worked very well, actually eliminated the odors rather than just masking them. Odor elimination calls for 22 ounces per gallon of water or purchase their ready to use. Check it out for information at http://www.odoban.com

Scott

You gotta dog that smells like smoke?
LOL.gif

Last edited by a moderator:
I think zeolite in the form of oil-dri or other oil absorbing "granules" that you buy at any auto parts store is the same as the odor absorbing zeolite, right? As I understand it, it is all the shells of ancient critters, called diatoms, who made their shells from silica (glass). I saw one of the diatomaceous earth mines in eastern WA.

One of the problems I was thinking about though is that there are now lots of claims from people with respiratory problems due to silica ingestion. This stuff, being made of silica and prone to making silica dust when disturbed, is probably not the right thing to have sliding around in a tub in the back of the car where you are confined with the air. So I think it is a bad idea really.

So far I have used "krud cutter" which is a fabric-safe degreaser in dilution with water to remove the tar from all surfaces and it has worked pretty well (lots of elbw grease though). The apples did not work at all for me and the charcoal (not activated) did not work at all either. Fogging the car with Ozium sprayed in massive doses (you can buy a huge can at Bi-Mart for $9) is making a big difference but the smoke smell is not quite all gone yet.

Last edited:
USE A OZONE GENERATOR. YOU SHOULD BE ABLE TO RENT ONE. THEY ARE USED BY USED CAR DEALERS, APARTMENT COMPLEXES. GENERATOR WILL GET RID OF ANY SMELL.

Originally Posted By: saaber1
I think zeolite in the form of oil-dri or other oil absorbing "granules" that you buy at any auto parts store is the same as the odor absorbing zeolite, right?
[snip]
One of the problems I was thinking about though is that there are now lots of claims from people with respiratory problems due to silica ingestion.

The Zeolite that I bought at The Home Decrepit comes in the form of bean sized rock chips. The mineral comes in a nylon mesh sack and the contents seem reasonably dust-free. Left stationary, I don't see a dust issue. Were the zeolite chips to rattle around, they might be producing dust. So you got a good point, depending on how the zeolite is used. The oil absorbent granules that I know resemble coarse sand and they are very dusty/chalky. I'm not sure if that's zeolite, though.

Or you can find zeolite at your local aquarium supply shop. Then you have to knit a mesh bag for it.
48.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back