PP 0w-20, 5126 Miles, 2000 Honda Insight

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi guys,

This is my Blackstone Labs report for my Honda Insight. The oil was Pennzoil Platinum 0w-20. It was in the car for 5,126 miles. The car has a total of 30,007 miles on it. Both oil and air filters are WIX. I changed the air filter during the middle of this oil run. On the whole I'm pleased with the results, except for the copper. What do you guys think about the copper number? This car does have an oil cooler -- could the copper being coming from that? The rest of the report seems fine. Thanks in advance for your input.

Code:

MI/HR on Oil 5,126

MI/HR on Unit 30,007

Sample Date 02/01/08

Make Up Oil Added 0 qts.

My Unit Universal Average

ALUMINUM 4 6

CHROMIUM 0 1

IRON 8 10

COPPER 19 10

LEAD 0 1

TIN 0 1

MOLYBDENUM 142 211

NICKEL 0 0

MANGANESE 0 0

SILVER 0 0

TITANIUM 0 0

POTASSIUM 1 1

BORON 18 94

SILICON 15 13

SODIUM 3 25

CALCIUM 1912 2245

MAGNESIUM 14 116

PHOSPHORUS 668 759

ZINC 822 914

BARIUM 0 0

My Values Values Should Be

SUS Viscosity @ 210°F 50.9 46-59

cSt Viscosity @ 100°C 7.53 6-10.2

Flashpoint in °F 380 >385

Fuel % TR
Antifreeze % 0.0 0.0

Water % 0.0
Insolubles % 0.2
TBN 3.1

Originally Posted By: badtlc
Is the oil cooler a standard feature for your car or is it after market?

Standard feature on early models. The later year models (starting in 2004, I think) didn't have them.

Thanks for posting this - been very, very curious about what the add pack looked like for this oil, b/c I have heard the composition is a lot different than 'regular' grades of PP..have read on here it is a mostly-PAO oil....

It is interesting to see that the moly count is so much higher for this oil than for other grades, as this oil's main mission is to increase fuel mileage....Its ironic - a lot of people looking for this oil, and I have a store right around the corner from me that stocks quite a bit of it....

I would say the UOA looks very good. It's not at all unusual to see copper fall slowly from break-in, and if you have an oil cooler I think that would help to explain it. I'm sure it will go down over future as will the Si, which is not high but will probably be lower eventually.

Unless you are compelled to stick with a 5k OCI you should probably go a little longer to get your money's worth from the oil. On a 5k OCI you would probably get equally good results from any appropriate conventional.

You could be right Buster - I'm just pretty sure I read here 'somewhere' that PP 0W-20 was a PAO-based oil...I think it might have even been Johnny that said that, but I can't prove it..

Originally Posted By: glennc
I would say the UOA looks very good. It's not at all unusual to see copper fall slowly from break-in, and if you have an oil cooler I think that would help to explain it. I'm sure it will go down over future as will the Si, which is not high but will probably be lower eventually.

Thanks. That was my thinking also. Hopefully my future UOA will back that up.

Quote:
Unless you are compelled to stick with a 5k OCI you should probably go a little longer to get your money's worth from the oil.

I'm planning on 7500 miles for my current run.

Still a great oil despite the volatility. Volatility doesn't always seem to relate to oil consumption. Look at M1.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back