Glock lubrication.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well, I have finished trying several different types of lubes for the Glock handgun and I have concluded that the best lube for the Glock is the copper-based lubricate you can get at Glockmeister. It stays put and the gun performs very well with it.

I have also been using G-Lube gun oil that you can get at the Glockmeister website but as long as you use the copper-based lube it may not make all that much difference what gun oil you use. But the G-Lube works very well for an oil.

I use a toothpick to apply small amounts of the copper-based lube to certain parts of the Glock. Then I use the G-Lube in the places where oil is supposed to be applied.

I have tried various kinds of cleaner and I like Hoppes and RemOil bore cleaner when I can clean my gun outside and I like the Milcomm M25 gun cleaner when I have to clean inside because of cold weather, wind and dust, etc.

I think the really big difference in lubing a Glock is to use the copper-based lube. Various gun oils like RemOil, Hoppes, and the G-Lube are probably acceptable for the oil required but the copper-based lube makes the big difference.

Good information. If I ever buy a Glock (gotta learn to like 'em first
grin2.gif
), I'll know what to use.

In the owner's manual for the Glock it says to leave the copper-based lube that is put on at the factory on since it provides long-term lubrication. So they use a copper-based lube at the factory anyway. Otherwise it just says that you can use ordinary solvents to clean the gun and to use a quality gun oil.

In the case of a gun like the gun that uses a lot of plastic I think it is a good idea to stay away from cleaners like carb cleaner or some other kind of harse solvent. But bore cleaners like Hoppes or RemOil bore cleaner should be okay.

I think the real key to good lubrication is small amounts of the copper-based lube and otherwise any good gun oil should be okay. I do like the G-Lube but Hoppes gun oil might be just as good.

Originally Posted By: Gregory
C5-A

54.gif

Glock copper lube $9 an ounce?
crazy2.gif
Get some copper anti-seize for like $5 a tub. Same stuff. They used to have the spec's on that site and they matched copper anti-seize exactly. They took down the spec's...wonder why??
wink.gif
I can't imagine the cleaning nightmare that would pose though.

Quote:
G-Lube is actually a metal conditioner that forms a molecular bond within the micro-pores of metal surfaces to lubricate - reducing friction, corrosion and heat.
The lubricant is activated and bonds to metal surfaces at about 170 degrees Fahrenheit,

You do realize that this stuff is chlorine based don't you? I bet it is MMC conditioner rebranded. Looks like the same color.

Tempest I love when you respond to my postings because you are so knowledgeable. Frankly, I would like to just use a gun oil if I could find something that really worked well.

It is more messy when I clean the gun using this stuff. But the gun really performed well when I shot it using the copper-based lube and the G-Lube.

If G-Lube is chlorine based I will switch to just Hoppes gun oil for the oil. I think what really makes the difference is the copper-based lube.

I have not tried Weapon Shield-the stuff that you use. I may get some and try it. I know some people who shoot Glocks use Breakfree but I had bad experiences using Breakfree with my SIG. It seemed to cause jams.

Somebody needs to develop a truly good gun oil that has anti-wear and extreme pressure additives.

Quote:
Tempest I love when you respond to my postings because you are so knowledgeable

Thanks, lots of research. MUCH credit goes to Bruce, Molakule and the formulator of FP10/Weapon Shield for posting useful info and being patient with my questions.

Quote:
Somebody needs to develop a truly good gun oil that has anti-wear and extreme pressure additives.

P1010007.JPG

grin2.gif

What happened to the Jardine's grease?

That is a nice looking gun.

I like the Jardine's grease but I still wish I could find a truly good gun oil. I guess I will try that Weapon Shield.

Not my gun, I borrowed that pic from a post by the formulator.

Make sure to get a needle oiler (as in the picture) and a larger bottle to refill it with.

Start with a clean gun and put a decent amount on the gun before firing (it will spread like mad with time though). After firing, use only the WS for cleaning. The more you use it, the easier the gun cleans up. I have 3 cleanings on my Kahr and the junk just wipes off with a rag, and the bore takes about 2 minutes to clean. Truly amazing stuff.

Still a very nice gun. I would not mind having one like that. I like .45s. I have come to prefer Glocks after I at first was not interested in them. But the .45 Glock requires huge hands and I have a .40 Glock. Still, the 1911 .45 will never die-unless someday they invent ray-guns.

I ordered the 4 oz. bottle of Weapon Shield. I figure I will give it a try first. I have a little bottle somewhat like a needle oiler that has Hoppes gun oil in it right now. I can put the Weapon Shield in that container.

If Weapon Shield works for me I will order a big bottle and a needle oiler. Can you get a needle oiler from those people at Steel Shield Technologies?

Oil is really what a gun should be lubricated with, unless the gun is in storage for a long time and then maybe grease would be better. I think 99% of all gun oils are a joke. They are just high priced oil with probably no AW or EP additive. A lot of people get by with Hoppes which will work okay if you don't shoot your gun too much. Shoot a lot of rounds and it will be a different story.

The Weapon Shield is supposed to arrive in 4 days. With the warmer weather I am getting out shooting more. As soon as the Weapon Shield arrives I will clean and lubricate the gun and then go shooting at the first opportunity.

If the Weapon Shield impresses me I am done with this other stuff. I will use up the gun grease cleaning and lubricating my Dad's old shotgun and .22 rifle. I still call them his guns even though he (and my Mom) have been dead for 18 years.

Quote:
Can you get a needle oiler from those people at Steel Shield Technologies?

Yep, just like in the picture. They are fairly new so they may not be on the website yet. I got a few as samples at the SHOT show.

Quote:
As soon as the Weapon Shield arrives I will clean and lubricate the gun and then go shooting at the first opportunity.

Please report back. I have only seen a hand full of people post on the boards that they went back to their regular oil after using WS, and no reports of corrosion problems so far.

Has anyone used GunButter?? If so any opinions?? I've been looking for gun oils now that I just recently purchased my XD and, GunButter was recommended to me very highly. It's $12 for .66oz.

Last edited:
What about Slick Honey (suspension bike fork lube)? It won't damage any plastic parts. Oh, and put Neosporin on the bullets...
grin2.gif

Buffman, I tried Gunbutter. After I lubricated my gun with it I noticed new wear marks on my barrel so I was not very impressed with the Gunbutter. To be honest with you, Hoppes gun oil did better.

If by some chance Weapon Shield does not work out for me I am going back to Hoppes gun oil and grease on some critical areas.

One of the strange things I noticed with the Glock was that Hoppes regular gun oil seemed to provide better protection than the Hoppes Elite synthetic oil that I had been using on my SIG. On the SIG the Hoppes Elite synthetic was great. I noticed what seemed like a slight increase in developing wear marks as compared to just using Hoppes regular gun oil.

My conclusion so far is that for somebody who does not shoot a lot Hoppes gun oil will probably work. If you shoot a gun a lot you need better protection.

Now a gun of course will eventually wear out. But a gun should be able to shoot thousands of rounds of ammo and you want the gun to still be in the best shape possible when you maybe sell it and get another gun.

There is a limit to how many products I will try out. So far this experiment has been not too expensive. Stuff I decide not to use I can use to clean and lubricate some other guns.

Unless a gun is in storage I think a quality gun oil should be good enough. I have looked a long time for that quality gun oil. My personal opinion is that most gun oils are expensive and not very great in quality. Over the years I have tried several and most do not impress me very much. I had a tendency to just go back to using Hoppes gun oil.

I have tried Ballistol a long time ago. Not on my Glock but my SIG. Ballistol was used by the Germans in WWII and I think in WWI. It has a strange smell that is sort of hard to describe. At times it smelled like dirty socks and at other times it seemed to kind of smell good.

Ballistol is used by some people who shoot black powder guns.

I don't know if it is any better than say Hoppes gun oil but if I remember correctly it was cheaper-it came in a large container that would last for a while.

There are different kinds of Ballistol and not all are 60 years old. I don't know about your dirty socks, but to me Neo-Ballistol smells like anise and peppermint oil, which are two of the ingredients. A nice thing about Ballistol is its compartatively low toxicity. In the case of Neo-Ballistol, it is non-toxic.

Ballistol emulsifies with water, but it doesn't wash off easily. If your gun or knife gets wet, once it has dried the oil is left behind. Ballistol is excellent at preventing corrosion and it will penetrate existent corrosion and prevent further damage.

For the price you can't beat it. Here you can see the variety of current Ballistol products: http://www.ballistol.co.uk/html/product.html

I use Ballistol on most of my folding knifes and multitools. I haven't found anything I like better.

Mystic,

thanks for the comment. I'm not sure how much I'll end up shooting my XD, as our range sits close to the river and next to the swamp on our property. Being outdoors in the prime shooting season you have to get out there at the right time of day, or you get eaten to heck by deer flies. And the right time of day is usually when I'm at work
frown.gif

I might just end up using Hoppe's or at least trying the GunButter since Pistolgear.com highly recommends it also. If I don't like the way it performs, I can always move to something else and leave a well placed review about it :)

My father has been using Hoppes on his entire gun collection since he was a kid. But being quite the large collection (I can't even count them all anymore) there are very few select guns that get a lot of rounds put through them. Usually something of the .22 flavor gets a lot of use, or the Thompson :)Nonetheless, all of his guns look marvelous inside and out, for the most part due to how throughly they're cleaned after use.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Gregory
TEMPEST C5-A is copper based anti-seize. I figured this place would know that.

Ahhhh...Gotcha'. I was thinking:

c5a.jpg

grin2.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back