AMSOIL ASM 0W-20, 5,077 miles, 2007 Tundra 5.7L

Status
Not open for further replies.
Good afternoon all,

Latest analysis on my 2007 Toyota Tundra CrewMax with the 5.7L engine. Most of my driving averages about 50 MPG according to the trip computer on my GPS, but I do have some city stop-n-go driving mixed in when Alabama Highway 53 clogs up. Generally I'm pretty nice to the truck, but I do get onto it from time to time.

Getting about 18.7 MPG on this big truck which is why the note in the comments section about being lucky re: MPG.

I'm very pleased with ASM and that's what went back into the truck when this oil was changed/sampled.

Only thing of concern I see in the report is that the flashpoint was 395 deg F, which is the lowest flashpoint I've seen yet from oil out of this truck.

That said, it sure looks like ASM is a tough oil and/or this truck is easy on oil.

Sure, AMSOIL can do more mileage than 5K, but until I'm out of the warranty period, I'll stick with the 5K OCI. Plus, AMSOIL delivered to my door is far less hassle than trying to find 0W-20 locally.

D30651m.jpg

thanks much,
ben

Yep - standard Toyota filter. Don't think anyone makes a non-OEM for the 5.7L yet (it's a cartridge, yuck!) so I stick with Toyota...

thanks,
ben

I would say with the flashpoint and viscosity, fuel might be a tad higher than the UOA says. I wouldn't worry about it, but how hot was the oil and how had you been driving before you sampled?

Originally Posted By: Steve S
Why use a long life oil only to change it at 5,000 miles, what is the advantage?

Thats a good question...Most use it just for better protection to internal parts.

Looks like the engine is still breaking in, and I'm sure wear numbers will come down to virtually nothing like most Toyota V8s and Si will come down a bit more as well. The flashpoint doesn't really look that low to me: just under 400. There might be a trace of fuel in there which would be enough to lower it slightly but you wouldn't really want to think of that as a problem.

I agree that I don't see any reason to change it so early, or if you need to change at 5k, than any reason to use a long-drain synthetic oil.

Originally Posted By: FordSVT
Why use a long life oil only to change it at 5,000 miles, what is the advantage?

Thats a good question...Most use it just for better protection to internal parts.
How so?

To me it's all about saving time and money. When I bought the truck, I decided I wanted to:

1) Stick with a synthetic. Have had great luck with M1 in all my vehicles.

2) Stick with 0W-20 for fastest cold flow and best fuel mileage. 0W-20 has a slight advantage over 5W-20 in both cases.

3) Also wanted to test 0W-20's with UOA's to see if it worked as well as I thought it would.

So, out I went to the local WAL-MART and other oil sellers, looking for 0W-20. One WAL-MART in Madison Alabama had five quarts of Mobil 1 0W-20 and the remainder of the places I looked had NO 0W-20 oils at all. I probably spent $10 in gas looking around for 0W-20!

At any rate, when I did find it, the M1 0W-20 was pushing $7 a quart.

So, off to the AMSOIL webpage I went. With the preferred customer discount, I could order two cases delivered to my door and didn't need to drive all over town trying to find a total of 8 quarts of M1 0W-20.

Saves me time and money.

Really, that's all its about folks - saving me time and money. Even with a 5k OCI, I'm spending about the same money and perhaps saving some with AMSOIL delivered to my door.

Protection never really factored into the equation. If I can start buying non-AMSOIL 0W-20 locally, I probably will. I will continue UOA's on the new oil, however...

Once I'm out of warranty, I'll go longer on the AMSOIL.

later,
b

Originally Posted By: kd5byb
Yep - standard Toyota filter. Don't think anyone makes a non-OEM for the 5.7L yet (it's a cartridge, yuck!) so I stick with Toyota...

thanks,
ben

I think Pure1 does, coworker gets his at Advance.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back