Status
Not open for further replies.
Oil: Pennzoil Platinum 5w30
Oil Filter: Toyota 90915-YZZD3
Air Filter: Fram(10k)
Oil Additive: Tufoil 8oz
Driving Habits: 80%hwy/20%city. Usually 75mph hwy and 40mph city
Oil Duration: 5100 miles
Oil Age: End of September to End of January(4 months)
Lab: Staveley Services in Euclid, Ohio

Results:

Iron 2
Chromium 0
Lead 0
Copper 1
Tin 0
Aluminum 3
Nickel 0
Silver 0
Silicon 19
Boron 12
Sodium 0
Magnesiu 11
Calcium 2710
Barium 0
Phosp 943
Zinc 811
Moly 177
Titanium 0
Vanadium 0
Potas. 0
Fuel Vis@40 66.6
Vis@100 12.07
Water 0
Solids N/A
Coolant NO
VI 179
F-soot N/A
Oxid 12.0
Nitr 19.0
TBN 3.49

Only thing I am worried about is the Silicon though it did go down from the last UOA(22). The oil thickened a bit probably because of Tufoil. I usually get a numerical value for soot/solids but it was N/A this time probably due to PTFE in Tufoil. I have 3 other UOA's on this engine here on BITOG. Any questions/comments are welcome.

Thanks,
Deven.

P.S. Currently have PP 5w30 with 4oz Tufoil and Fram Extended Guard Oil Filter.

Last edited:
PTFE still being used in some products? I thought that had gone the way of snake oil! Yep, Silicon is high, but, the wear numbers are stellar, so, I doubt it is due to sand injestion.

Virtually no wear. How many total miles on the car? Si does seem a smidge high unless you're in the first 50k or so of the car's life, in which case it'll probably keep coming down.

What's in Tufoil besides PTFE? It looks like it thickened it up a bit?

Why not run it to 7500 miles or so?

Glenn, the car had 26,769 miles at the time of analysis, thanks for bringing that up I totally forgot to mention that.

Yes, the silicon is high but it is still trending down. The first UOA had Si of 61 then 27 and 22 and now 19.

Tufoil seems to have a boatload of Moly, Phosphorous and Zinc. Its also very thick black gooey stuff. Best way to describe it is that its tacky.

Right now I can only do 5000 mile OCI's because of Toyota Warranty but after 50k miles I'll definately be doing 7500 mile OCI's or more.

Thanks,
Deven

Originally Posted By: Titan
PTFE still being used in some products? I thought that had gone the way of snake oil! Yep, Silicon is high, but, the wear numbers are stellar, so, I doubt it is due to sand injestion.

Yes it still uses PTFE but its a very small amount from what i have read. Yes, I am not really worried about Silicon right now as long as its trending downwards, plus I have heard that it takes some toyota engines till 50k for silicon to come down to single digits. I definately concur with your assertions.

Thanks,
Deven

Great UOA! Maybe the high silicon levels are really just the Tufoil, and nothing to be concerned about. How could you be concerned, having such low wear numbers?
PTFE's in oil, have always made me nervous. Added to my bad "vibe's" with these types of products, were Dupont's 'negative' stance regarding the use of Teflon in engines. Now I noticed that Dupont's criticism has wained, especially since releasing their own Dupont (PTFE) engine oil treatment!
Fascinating!

DmanWho, The high silicon levels are probably not Tufoil since my last UOA had a silicon level of 22 and no Tufoil was used. I am really not concerned at all, I checked my air filter today and it doesnt seem to have leaks or rips and everything looks okay.

Thanks,
Deven

Originally Posted By: deven
DmanWho, The high silicon levels are probably not Tufoil since my last UOA had a silicon level of 22 and no Tufoil was used. I am really not concerned at all, I checked my air filter today and it doesnt seem to have leaks or rips and everything looks okay.

Thanks,
Deven

It's hard for me to discount the Si values reported in the Tufoil VOA. Maybe your Si levels trended "way" down, and what is really being reflected, is from the Tufoil...

DmanWho, that could be the case too, but there is another UOA about a month ago with Tufoil and his silicon was 10. So i really dont know.

Thanks,
Deven

Interesting stuff. 20ppm Si in the Tufoil would only contribute a couple ppm to the crankcase. Plus you are exactly on the standard Si break-in trajectory, so it's not anything worth worrying about at all, as you said.

Those are unbelievably low wear numbers for an engine that new.

I wonder what exactly makes many Japanese engines post virtually no break-in wear while many American and Euro engines have quite a lot? I mean, exactly what type of machining or surface treatment or whatever else is actually causing the difference? I also wonder whether it matters. I know the standard answer will be that it doesn't, but I still wonder.

Originally Posted By: glennc
Interesting stuff. 20ppm Si in the Tufoil would only contribute a couple ppm to the crankcase...

I just realized the obvious flaw in my reasoning!
33.gif

We are only talking about 8oz. of Tufoil in the entire sump... Sorry.
blush.gif

As you said, it takes some engines quite a while to drop to single digits on Silicon. My two Subaru's took a LONG time, too.
Again, with essentially zero wear metals...you're doing something right!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back