Amsoil SSO 0w30, 7,754 Miles, 04 Sunfire

Status
Not open for further replies.
Comments: This is the longest oil run that we've seen from your Sunfire yet and wear looks great! This oil was run a little more than 2,000 miles longer than the average for the 2.2L and your wear still read at or better than average levels. That's a good sign that you operate and maintain this engine well. The oil was in good shape physically, containing no mostiure, fuel, or coolant. The air and oil filters are working well too. The TBN read 4.8 so you still had some active additive remaining. You could easily run this oil longer. You've got one nicely wearing engine!

Miles on oil: 7,754
Miles on unit: 116,588
Sample Date: 02/02/08
Make up oil: .5 quarts

Aluminum: 2 (2)
Chromium: 0 (0)
Iron: 7 (9)
Copper: 2 (2)
Lead: 0 (0)
Tin: 1 (1)
Molybdenum: 15 (46)
Nickel: 3 (0)
Manganese: 0 (0)
Silver: 0 (0)
Titanium: 0 (0)
Potassium: 2 (2)
Boron: 11 (46)
Silicon: 3 (6)
Sodium: 6 (4)
Calcium: 3593 (2357)
Magnesium: 20 (102)
Phosphorus: 665 (710)
Zinc: 823 (834)
Barium: 0 (0)

Sus Viscosity at 210F: 58.3 (55-67)
cSt Viscosity at 100C: 9.74 (8.8-12.4)
Fashpoint in F: 425 (greater than 375)
Fuel Percentage: Less than .5 (less than 2.0)
Antifreeze: 0.0 (0.0)
Water: 0.0 (0.0)
Insolubles: .3 (less than .6)
TBN: 4.8

For those that appreciate JPEGS along with my past reports check this out: UOA Report

My comments: This oil was run hard. My 220/mile day trip is really getting old so I'm finding myself driving faster and harder. So instead of doing 70mph and trying to keep off engine load - this oil was worked harder.

Driving Style: 118 miles one way eastbound on the I-210 to the I-15 north (up a hill). Then back home 118 miles. Usually averaging 70mph at 2600 RPMs and 50% engine load. Very little to no traffic.

This oil was the best oil I've run yet. Engine was smooth all the way to 7700 miles. IT DID NOT TURN DARK until I hit 7,000 miles. That is Amazing. The engine loves this oil from what my beehind dyno tells me.

I am a little disappointed at the TBN but I ran this oil harder and the 4cylinder is at 3,000 RPMs at 80mph which I did a lot.

Comments/Questions/anything - many thanks.

Looks like the oil from 7/24/07 did best. Numbers are pretty close and consistent across the board.

The only thing that looks better is the flash point. Oil sheared a tad. You'd have to run these oils out further to possibly see the benefits of the SSO. Remember, TSO wasn't better than ASL/ATM back in the day.

I would say a TBN from Blackstone after 7.5K near 5 isn't too low. Oil starts at 10.3 cSt so yes it sheared a little, but seems controlled. And you admit to pushing the engine fairly hard. Watch that Ni, but really all around your wear metals are quite low.

Originally Posted By: OriginHacker21
The oil on 7/24/07 was Castrol Syntec 5w30 :).

Ok never mind.
27.gif
blush.gif

I know that TSO had better deposit control than ASL/ATM.

Driving 3,000 rpm isn't hard on the engine or the oil . With the kind of driving you do any gpII oil should give you equal results .Don't waste money on syn oil unless you are going to run it 10,000+ miles. If you don't have the confidence to run the oil that far "the main marketing idea of Amsoil" why run syn oil?

This oil can clearly go a lot further. If you like it, stay with it. At least you know you have a wide safety margin in case you can't change it in time.

I dunno Steve S. I'm the sort of person that rarely lets their gas tank go below half full just because. :)

Thanks for the comments buster. I like having a wide safety margin.

Pablo - I checked out a lot of other UOAs and you are right.

For everyone's information I used FI cleaners almost every other gas fillup. I forgot to mention that earlier. Chevron w/ Techron, Shell's new FI cleaner, Lucas UCL, STP, etc... Could any of these have affected TBN and wear metals?

PICTURES (as I promised):
http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=1080037#Post1080037

For everyone's information I used FI cleaners almost every other gas fillup. I forgot to mention that earlier. Chevron w/ Techron, Shell's new FI cleaner, Lucas UCL, STP, etc... Could any of these have affected TBN and wear metals?

I guess I'd say no it didn't effect the wear metals, but maybe the TBN and vis to some very slight degree. Hard to say. Wholy carp - your injectors must be clean!!! Was that regular Techron or the concentrate? Dunno know anything about the Shell FI cleaner.

Definitely possible. I would back off a bit with the FI cleaner. I'd either use a maintenance dose of the Redline SI-1 found at Pepboys or use the Amsoil every 10k miles.

fuel injector cleaner at every tank fill up? You get gas at when the tank is half tank? with your 236 daily trips, you must get gas every day! Plus your running very expensive synthetic under 10k miles with UOA proof (more $$$) that you can go longer. You are seriously over maintaining this economy car. I have the same vehicle, a 96 version. I'm not hating the car.

Looks good, OH!

I was going to comment, like buster, that it seems overall for your 7500-mile runs, you got your best results with Syntec 5W-30. If you ran this oil regularly to 7500 miles, you'd get great results, and save a heck of a lot of money over running SSO for the same distance. Ever thought of doing that?

Thanks for the comments all. I believe you all are right. I will try to run this oil to 10,000+ miles and hold off using FI cleaner. I guess that will make the UOA more interesting...

Yes, fill up gas every day. Co-workers that ride in my car pay all the gas since I do all the driving so thats how I "justify" this extra Synthetic oil and FI cleaner maintenance.

Good point addguy. Thanks for the info.

The benefits of SSO, or any good synthetic, would probably be seen beyond the 12k mile mark IMO. If you ran SSO and Syntec to 15k-20k miles, I think only then you would find substantial differences. .02

I know I shouldn't analyze this as much, but the oil run from 7/24/07 WASN'T Syntec 5W-30; you ran THAT oil on 7/27/06:

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubb...true#Post256251

The 7/24/07 run was Amsoil ASM 0W-20.

I stand by what I said even more - I think your BEST EVER run was with the Syntec 5W-30 - you got an iron count of 3 over 7500 miles! But, you might end up in a better position if you can stretch your OCI's out to 10-12,000 miles with the SSO, and have a comfortable TBN margin left over....

Wow really messed up there. Thanks addguy for catching that. Very good point about the best ever run. I owe you one now :p

Buster - you'd run this oil to 20,000 miles even with the TBN as it is?

Wow really messed up there. Thanks addguy for catching that. Very good point about the best ever run. I owe you one now :p

Buster - you'd run this oil to 20,000 miles even with the TBN as it is?

Hi OH, no I wouldn't. I'm not a big fan of super long drains. Oil is cheap relative to engine repairs etc. I would cut down the FI cleaner and take another sample to see where you are at.
11.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back