Rislone engine treatment

Status
Not open for further replies.
Been searching the site for a while and I'm surprised to not find any info or opinions on Rislone engine treatment(yellow bottle). Just wondering what peoples experience has been with this product.

I used it back in the day in an 80 Z28 for 10's of thousands of miles and was very happy with the cleanliness of the engine when disassembled on two occasions for cam, manifold and other changes from 70 to 130thousand miles. Not sure if frequent oil changes or Rislone was biggest factor in that. This motor still runs good and is clean at 170k after being run hard for many years. Anyway, any comments on the stuff?

I've used it a few times, hard to tell if it did anything in my case, never took off the valvecovers or anything like that but it sure didn't damage anything as some people would have you believe.

I used it when I was young on older higher milelage cars, with no noticable results. If you were attempting to clean the insides cheapy, I would consider Marvel mystery oil, I have only heard good things about it firsthand from what I deem knowledge no nonsense people. I have tried it but without any noticable difference, but trust it more than Rislone. If you want a old car to perk up try, Restore, I used it in a high mileage Cadillac and there was a noticable difference.

Makes sense that results would not be very obvious with Rislone since it is intended to be a long term cleaning product and not a quick rinse.

I an intrigued with the Restore product. I've always been afraid to try that but have heard great reviews.

Nope, Rislone is not, and never has been Kerosene. Many Engine Flush type products are though. Both the Rislone quart and the concentrate is very similar, just with a different amount of carrier oil. This product is designed to be a cleaner over time, not instant like a flush. It does a good job.

Reactions: a5m
Originally Posted By: Panzerman
I used it when I was young on older higher milelage cars, with no noticable results. If you were attempting to clean the insides cheapy, I would consider Marvel mystery oil, I have only heard good things about it firsthand from what I deem knowledge no nonsense people. I have tried it but without any noticable difference, but trust it more than Rislone. If you want a old car to perk up try, Restore, I used it in a high mileage Cadillac and there was a noticable difference.
I have used Restore in many different engines. What you notice depends on the condition of the engine. For example a 2000 Buick 3800 with 130,000 miles, no difference noted. Dodge Durango 4.7 ltr with 50,000. The Durango had an idle that was a little shaky that I couldn't cure with cleaners, and tune up. Restore gave me a smooth idle. I figure it was due to uneven power pulses due to uneven compression. I think it's a wonderful product, and I haven't heard of any negative effects.

Originally Posted By: Gary Allan
Engine treatment MSDS
Oil treatment MSDS

Rislone products ...click on "more info".

The description of the Oil Treatment sounds remarkably similar to ARX and LC:

"These deposits are gradually removed and held in suspension until they are trapped in the filter or removed with the next oil change.

Rislone Engine Treatment gradually dissolves and removes harmful deposits of varnish, sludge and gum from the internal metal parts without plugging oil passages. "

Hmmm...

Originally Posted By: cparksjr
Nope, Rislone is not, and never has been Kerosene. Many Engine Flush type products are though. Both the Rislone quart and the concentrate is very similar, just with a different amount of carrier oil. This product is designed to be a cleaner over time, not instant like a flush. It does a good job.

My question is what is the carrier oil carrying? I realize MSDS's don't give the whole picture but it seems to be a thin oil with a small amount of a motor oil additive pack. Please, I don't mean to sound confrontational. Guessing what is in Rislone has been a preoccupation of this board for 6 years now.
grin2.gif

N-Butyl Acetate CAS 123-86-4

Severely Hydrotreated Petroleum Oil
Additive Mixture Containing Compounds of Ca, Zn, S, P, N, Mg, Na
Olefin Copolymer-Viscosity Improver
Upper Cylinder Treatment Additive
64742-65-0
N/A Mixture
N/A Mixture
123-86-4
5mg/m³
5mg/m³
5mg/m³
N/A
5mg/m³
5mg/m³
5mg/m³
N/A
80-85

Good to know. At least it's not JUST a light oil with additives like once feared. What's the "method of action?"

Got me swinging. I don't have a clue what the substance does ..or even if it's the main active ingredient. Wiki says that it's a solvent.

I don't imagine that the stuff is "bad" ..just not all that effective (when compared to ARX).

New guy bringing one back from the dead on my first try...

I've used Rislone in quite a few "dirty" engines and it does seem to work well. I feel its a bit safer to run than MMO or ATF. By the appearance, it seems to be working, I've noticed cleaner valvetrains and the oil gets dark very fast. On a gummed up engine I wouldn't run the oil for the full 3k after using Rislone. I certainly wouldn't use it at every oil change, but it has a place in my cabinet for neglected engines.

welcome2.gif

My feeling is that Rislone had a place in the distant past with the poorer quality oils. Oils have evolved a great deal, but people ..not so much ..so it may have a purpose still. I would not use this product, but it does have a lower price making it a more acceptable remedy for some ailments.

I agree on both your points, there are better products and an engine should not need to be cleaned, but as it stands, lots of people forget about oil changes and with engines running at higher temperatures than ever, it makes for a mess in certain cars.

Originally Posted By: yakky
I agree on both your points, there are better products and an engine should not need to be cleaned, but as it stands, lots of people forget about oil changes and with engines running at higher temperatures than ever, it makes for a mess in certain cars.

LOL! I don't necessary agree with your points.

While owner's negligence is the main culprit in most engine failures these days, equally disturbing is the fact that there are far too many avg joes out there whose either stuck on some old mentality that engine still has to be flushed every oil change just because they believe motor oil these days still sludge up in 1000miles, or oil is still inferior and/or of the same quality like their grand-daddy used 1/2 a century ago, so additional "helper" additives are needed to give them oils a boost.

Most motor oils with API/ILSAC certifications are meant for use mostly on "street" cars with engines designed, if not supporting those family of motor oils. Hi-power, custom modded engines shall always be reviewed in a case-by-case basis and should require some custom blend motor oil and not OTC ones. High temperature? On what engine? street engine or custom? IF it's street type of oil then one shall follow manufacturer's recommendation RE: severe service (usually comes with more frequent OCI and/or more robust blend with lots of GpIII/IV or beyond base oil within, with other additives added).

So bottomeline is, why do you still wanna mess up the already delicate chemistry/blend in a modern motor oil blend with things like rislone?

(**think about it***)

Q.
19.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back