just how critical is motor oil?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: GMFan
I find it funny how someone from beijing can't spell their own city correctly.

Funny, that. I'm still trying to figure where Peking went!
LOL.gif

Last edited:
Quote:
just how critical is motor oil?

Using motor oil as part of scheduled routine maintenance program has resulted in radical reductions in wear metals when compared to engines that didn't use it.

And that's not just marketing mumbo-jumbo. I got that straight from the experts.

Oil choice should be based on sensible economy.

Ok. My turn.

"Years ago I remember a Mobil 1 test where they actually drained the oil and then drove the car a while with it supposedly empty. I think ZMax and others have claimed to do the same thing since then."

Yeah, true. When I shoot a deer, it bleeds and keeps on running, too. For a while ...

Consider the options; from zero cost to high-priced enlightenment:

a) you run no lubricant whatsover (see previous comment about deer)
b) you run a liquid with almost no vicosity, with no additives, not designed to be in an internal combustion engine on the lube side, and a specific gravity of 1.0 (water, or, if you're feeling giddy, perhaps distilled water)
c) you run a lubricant, but not the right one (tranny oil up to the full mark on the dipstick)
d) you run a motor oil, but not the right viscosity or grade
e) you run the proper oil, but at the el-cheapo bargin basement price point, and change it with at least some small reverence for the odometer
f) you run a moderate priced, decent oil, with due scrutiny for both the dollar and the equipment (most normal people)
g) you run a high grade, over-the-top, synthetic with two types of bypass filtration, pulling UOA's, but still OCI every 3k miles anyway. (BITOGER!)

There are many comments to make, but they'd all be a variation of one of these 7 options.

Let the anal-retentive flaming continue it's supreme reign!

Last edited:
And some people thought Terry was paranoyd about China...

BigjJeffie, the to good oil secret is teflon.

Originally Posted By: dnewton3
Ok. My turn.

"Years ago I remember a Mobil 1 test where they actually drained the oil and then drove the car a while with it supposedly empty. I think ZMax and others have claimed to do the same thing since then."

Yeah, true. When I shoot a deer, it bleeds and keeps on running, too. For a while ...

Haha. The idea I guess what that it stuck to parts better and still provided better protection since it kept running longer than the engine that had conventional drained from it. The ZMax commercials where they drain the oil and then run complete laps around a test track seem even less real.

that's pretty good. i work with some people from china and there is no way i could say anything about oil on a chinese oil forum

Keep up good work now!!!

Last edited:
I can tell you a few things for sure about motor oil.
First, when I was much younger, the hottest cars around these parts were '69 Chevelle's. A neighbor who was older had a yellow '69 that was beautiful, and his friend who owned a service station had one of those chevy blue/green '69's with the 350/325HP engines. The fellow took off out of town from the service station with a swish, while the owner was changing the oil in his Chevelle. Well, we kids went in and started to torture him about how that yellow Chevy could outrun his, and after just a minute or two he was in his car and chasing the yellow car down the road. Imagine our surprise when we went out into the lube bay, only to find 6 unopened quarts of Gulf Multi-G setting on the floor by where he'd been working, and the oil pan plug laying on one of the lift tracks! When he left town, he wasn't exactly taking it easy, as you can imagine, but he made it a good 12-15 miles before the thing suddenly started having what can only be described as "major problems". One motor ruined, one very disgusted owner, and kids who stayed away from the station for a while to avoid certain retribution for teasing, (even though we had no idea at the time what was happening before hand).

Fast forward thirty years or more, to about 2002, when I had a 1998 Ford Ranger 4X4 truck, which I dearly loved. Religiously taken care of and 98K miles on the clock, this truck looked and ran like new and never used oil. Me and my working pal, are leaving work one day when we hear a funny "snap" noise when we're just pulling out of the parking lot. Not seeing anything obviously wrong, the truck runs fine, for get this, ONE mile, probably less, and everything starts to go to the crapper, shudders, knocks, another "major problems" day, it had just sheared the oil pump drive rod, and we stop. After I get the top of the motor torn down and not finding any real damage, I can't get it to stop knocking real bad, apparently spun a rod bearing, so it gets traded off in defference to pulling the motor and putting that kind of money in a truck with almost 100K miles.

Was oil better in the late '60's that it was in 2002. I honestly don't remember what I was using then, but it was name brand dino. I only ran it a few minutes under what would be considered EASY driving, in the '60's he was running HARD trying to catch his nemesis, go figure.

You just can't figure what's going on in an engine, but I'm glad I never started up my Ranger after draining the oil to "get all the oil out", or I'd have been sorry quick.

Last edited:
i am not from beijing, i am from bejing like i said.

autoerotic engineering is a dynamic and challenging field.
the discipline dates back to the pre-egyptian empire era.

ok.
a little satire.
and yes , i spelled beijing incorrectly

I was thinking it's an up and coming field.

You know there are 3 Chinas in the USA? No Bejing that I know of. Bei- Jing. I know what bei means!

Oil is very critical. It laughed at my singing once.

Ok, here is my take, and first off, let me saythat I'm an ignorant fool when it comes to motor oil, so that said:

Yes, motor oil is very critical to your engine.

So, get your self to the store and find the cheapest API certified latest approved motor oil in the viscosity that your manual dictates...

....and it can be dino, or synthetic....now use that oil, and change it out at 3,000 or 5,000 as required for your driving conditions, and if you do that...

....your engine will last no less as long as if you used the best, most expensive boutique oil.

And that is the very, very inconvenient truth, and dirty secret that most BITOG vets hate to face, but it is true...

Choise of oil is way, way too much ado about NOTHING ;-)

In if one gets past the symptom of being oil concerned, and past that condition to the actual "tumor", one finds that the real reason people are obsessed with oil is because they like to tinker with cars, they imagine the "benefits" of this oil, or that oil; they imagine the evilness of that cheaper oil, or that brand which they hate. They imagine their car "likes" a particular oil better.

In short, just keep your oil changed per the manual, and use a certified oil, consider he way you drive and climate when choosing and changing, and if you do that, you're car will last a long time and no less then a car serviced by an oil-obsessed person ;-)

Well...I am an oil junkie but my best friend takes ALL his vehicles to WalMart for that Supertech dino oil change every 7-8000 miles and runs all his vehicles to 250,000 miles plus.
He has never changed his own oil, has clean fingernails, and thinks I am an idiot for doing my own oil changes because his engines last as long as mine under similar service. So is motor oil really that critical? I doubt it except in the case of my air cooled motorcycle or my boat that sits for weeks and only gets an annual oil change. But for those daily drivers...nope!
13.gif

Real critical I'd say. Drain out your oil and take your car for a drive. You'll find out how much so.

In all seriousness, don't.
35.gif

LOL.gif

holy moley could you only imagine

Originally Posted By: Footpounds
Years ago, and I DO mean years ago, when I was 17, I asked a friend to show me how to change the oil in my newly acquired car. He instructed me to do the same thing....drain the oil and then start the engine for about 15 seconds or so (to make sure I got all of the old oil out). To this day, I still feel stupid and guilty for doing that!
Almost like letting the oil drain during an oil change for a couple hours "to get more dirty oil out".

Originally Posted By: Pablo
I was thinking it's an up and coming field.

You know there are 3 Chinas in the USA? No Bejing that I know of. Bei- Jing. I know what bei means!

And I know what jing means.

we have a winner folks!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
all the wisdom of bitog in just a few sentences.

oh the humanity!

i couldnt have said it better myself.

where is that vipond idiot, the one who cooks with amsoil, we have ways of making him admit the truth as well, he still has people in the homeland, no?

You dont need oil if you first treat your engine with Slick 50 or Duralube, I seen the commercials. Lovcom, I have to agree with you completely, All the company trucks I ever saw or have driven, have got the cheapest oil, cheapest oil filter, and milelage anywhere from 3000 to 10,000 miles, under the worse conditions of idleing and full thottle gouging and they all go 150,000 to 200,000 miles, seems like hand selection of oil and oil study are all fruitless, but still fun and its a interesting topic.

Quote:
Just how critical is motor oil?

Not very really, I don't run it in some of my cars to save money.

I find it funny how someone from beijing can't spell their own city correctly.
That's because it isn't spelled with English letters in China.

And I think he may have meant to say how important is the brand of motor oil used.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back