Thoughts on molybdenum in motor oil?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I did a search the other day and it seems to be split. Many say it's a good lubricant,especially at high temperatures. Others say it can cause corrosion and other harmful reactions in engine materials. I've notice that several manufacturers are blending at least a small portion of moly in their newer oils. My truck takes six quarts of oil and sometimes I like to use one quart of Redline for its robust additive package but now I'm a little concerned. I have used a full load of Redline 10w-30 in the past and my engine seemed to like it.

"Others say it can cause corrosion and other harmful reactions in engine materials."
Who? When? What type of moly?
Do a search on bitog and see what you bring up.

Moly is WAY overrated - see a couple GC posts, and maybe a selected Delo or Amsoil post, but not many are saying it's the cause of high lead is some Redline UOA's for example............

Organo Molybdenum soluble compounds are proven friction modifiers, anti-wear agents, and anti-oxidants to start with. Properly stabilized modtp is not corrosive. and in fact enhance zddp aw and friction reducing capabilities.
Moly is UNDERATED.

KJA426,

Molybdenum is an element that is not found by itself. When most folk refer to "moly" they're talking about the gray power molybdenum disulfide. It works very well in grease and some gear oil, and certain specialized applications. It is not suitable for motor oil. Compounds of molybdenum dialkyldithiocarbamate (MoDTC) are invisible, oil soluble, and work very well in motor oil and hydraulic oil. This is the "moly" that is properly used in motor oil. There was some talk a few years about compounds of molybdenum phosphate causing engine problems, but my understanding is that this was never proved.

MoDTC is one possible ingredient in top quality oil. It is not essential, but can do some things very well.

I'm not a fan of mixing oils. You never know if your home-brew is actually better than either oil. If it was me, I'd either run all Redline for 10,000 or more miles as determined by oil analysis, or buy a cheaper oil for shorter drain intervals.

Ken

quote:

MoDTC is one possible ingredient in top quality oil. It is not essential, but can do some things very well

Right.

Molekule has said repeatedly that Moly is not the panacea. It's one of many additives that can be used to make a good oil. Some of the top performing oils on here use little to none Molybdenum.

Their was an article from Vanderbetl that said some forms of organic Moly have shown to cause corrosion. This was their opinion on it and it seems hardly anyone buys it.

I've given up on RL. Have no clue how good or bad it is. I just don't use it.

Not unlike other additives moly by itself is no different than anything else. The proper moly with the good base stocks, and the correct chemistry has been proven as an excellent engine oil additive with multiple benefits.

Nissan puts Molybdenum on new engine parts in V-6's at factory, I find that absurd when Nissan doesn't want syn oils in their new engines because they claim it is too slick for seating in engine.
Cyprs

quote:

Originally posted by Cyprs:
Nissan puts Molybdenum on new engine parts in V-6's at factory, I find that absurd when Nissan doesn't want syn oils in their new engines because they claim it is too slick for seating in engine.
Cyprs

I have heard that before. I have a tough time believing that they don't want you to use a synthetic.

Anyway-I have an oil analysis in for my 01 Sentra. It is all RedLine. This is my first use with RedLine. Since I have a good history for this vehicle with Mobil 1 and Schaeffers-it should be interesting.

quote:

Originally posted by Cyprs:
I use full syn in my Nissans too Al, XD3 Esso. Nissan manual downplays syn oil by only recommending a dino 5-30, it shows direct bias to dino oil, my NIssan service manager doesn't want syn in my engine till 30,000 miles min. I put it syn in my Nissan at 700 miles on new engine, no problem, my dad uses Mobil syn, (soon switching to XD3 syn oil too) in his 01 Sentra.

Yea-I put the syn in my 01 Sentra at 30 miles.

quote:

Not unlike other additives moly by itself is no different than anything else. The proper moly with the good base stocks, and the correct chemistry has been proven as an excellent engine oil additive with multiple benefits.

Salesrep stated the issue quite well.
cool.gif

I use full syn in my Nissans too Al, XD3 Esso. Nissan manual downplays syn oil by only recommending a dino 5-30, it shows direct bias to dino oil, my NIssan service manager doesn't want syn in my engine till 30,000 miles min. I put it syn in my Nissan at 700 miles on new engine, no problem, my dad uses Mobil syn, (soon switching to XD3 syn oil too) in his 01 Sentra.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back