03 S2000 Amsoil 0W30, 24,261 miles w/bypass

Status
Not open for further replies.
My car: '03 Honda S2000 with Amsoil BMK-13 Dual Remote Bypass Filter (SDF-15 full flow filter & BE-90 bypass filter) and prelube pump rigged up, switched on every time the car is started.

OCI: 14 months, 24,361 miles using Amsoil Series 2000. Makeup oil - 2.5 quarts.

Driving style - Moderate, with a fair amount of highway miles.

12-07UOA.jpg

I've had this setup since 2004, and it's working great. Here's a writeup on my setup: http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Board=34&Number=762080

slalom44:

Did you refill with the same oil? Are you set on running another 24K miles on the next OCI?

What is your crankcase capacity? With only 54k miles on the engine, I guess usage of 2.5 quarts is "normal?"

Overall, good report!

slalom44 - you have it dialed in. I would said you have extended OCI's mastered. Pretty awesome. I know the gang here thinks extended OCI's = engine death and they'd love to tear into your engine. Maybe you can humor us at the 1,000,000 mile mark!
grin2.gif

Seems the pre-lube pump is the ticket!

Incredible setup! You always have the best UOA's I've ever seen with the F20C or F22C engines (although I've never seen a bad one). You should become a Honda engineer! Any make-up oil? What air filter do you use and for how long? Those silicon numbers are fantastic!
I always question Blackstone fuel%, but in your case I don't see a problem with the FP and viscosity numbers as correlators.

The prelube pump and bypass filter are clearly beneficial. Most UOA's with bypass filters show lower wear in UOA's, however it could be just filtering out the larger wear.

Originally Posted By: buster
Most UOA's with bypass filters show lower wear in UOA's, however it could be just filtering out the larger wear.

I think you meant to say: "....filtering out the larger particles that cause more wear."

The "wear" metals in a UOA are dissolved metals (measured in PPM) and correlate to the amount of wear particulate removed from contact surfaces. Even the best filter will not lower truly dissolved metals.

Originally Posted By: Pablo
Originally Posted By: buster
Most UOA's with bypass filters show lower wear in UOA's, however it could be just filtering out the larger wear.

I think you meant to say: "....filtering out the larger particles that cause more wear."

The "wear" metals in a UOA are dissolved metals (measured in PPM) and correlate to the amount of wear particulate removed from contact surfaces. Even the best filter will not lower truly dissolved metals.

Correct.
11.gif

Thanks, guys. I plan on staying with around 25k OCIs or 15 months, whichever comes first. With this setup, my capacity is 7.5 quarts, and I've switched to a mix of Series 2000 and Signature Series 0W-30 (I need to use up my TSO stash), and I've gone to the EABP bypass filter. I'm going to switch to an EA full-flow filter after I use up my last SDF-15 from my stash.

I believe this bypass & prelube pump is an ideal setup for this engine, and I'm relieved that the entire setup has been maintenance-free ever since I installed it. I make regular 4-hour trips with this car, which I believe is keeping my TBN up by keeping moisture out of the oil.

I added 2.5 quarts in over 24k miles, which is around 1/2 quart per 5000 miles. I think that this is very good, especially since I keep the RPMs fairly high. This is a high RPM engine (9,000 rpm redline), and you really need to drive it at higher RPMs compared to other cars.

I hate to admit this, but I'm still on the original air filter. I open it up occasionally to vacuum out the big stuff on the top, but I haven't gotten around to changing it yet. I suspect that is helping keep my silicon numbers low, along with help from the bypass filter.

This report is awesome! My brother has an S2000 and he uses this oil exclusively. I think I'll give him a BMK-13 to try out! Your S2000 could become a family heirloom!

Thanks for posting,

REDDOG

wow IMO that is a good amount of make-up oil. Was the oil black and vaporizing? I know it is not uncommon for a vehicle to use some oil but...........My Tundra with 73K doesnt use a drop and I have gone up to 8K running RP 5w-30 before.

Last edited:
I think the key to this outstanding report is the prelube setup. If most wear occurs at startup, a prelube pump seems to target this problem exclusively. I also wonder if having a prelube setup could open up choices for different oil viscosities. Is it difficult to change the oil with a prelube pump? I saw one advertised that hold one quart of oil in storage and wondered how it is evacuated or changed. Does Amsoil's precharger setup mount without having to use their dual bypass system? Again...outstanding report...a report that truly mirrors the advertisement for the 0w30 oil.

Originally Posted By: tackleberry625
wow IMO that is a good amount of make-up oil. Was the oil black and vaporizing? I know it is not uncommon for a vehicle to use some oil but...........My Tundra with 73K doesnt use a drop and I have gone up to 8K running RP 5w-30 before.

1/2 qt per 5000 miles not so high for many cars. Toyota engines just are exceptional in that area.

Compared to other AP1 F20C1 (2.0L/9K RPM) engines, Slalom44's uses very little oil! The AP2 F22C1 (2.2L/8K RPM) does not consume oil though. You have to compare them separately.

My father's 99 F-150, with 104K doesn't use a drop of oil either. He uses Castrol GTX 5w-30 and/or Valvoline 5w-30 using 4K OCIs.....I'm not saying that it is uncommon for a car that is driven hard or using extended OCIs to use some oil due to oil burnoff, but "to me" 1/2 quart in 5K seems a lot. The car must be dogged out alot because during lead foot accelerations, due to the oil pressure drastically increasing in such a short period of time, the oil could actually be blowing past the rings.

This is very low oil consumption for these engines. They are known for liking their oil. The more time they spend above 6000 rpm, the more they use in my experience. My brother averages about a quart every 1500 miles, which is not uncommon. He drives very aggressively. I would be very pleased with this amount of oil consumption on a run of this length with any driving style. One can't compare the oil consumption of this engine with the average production vehicle.

Originally Posted By: spiderbypass
I think the key to this outstanding report is the prelube setup. If most wear occurs at startup, a prelube pump seems to target this problem exclusively. I also wonder if having a prelube setup could open up choices for different oil viscosities. Is it difficult to change the oil with a prelube pump? I saw one advertised that hold one quart of oil in storage and wondered how it is evacuated or changed. Does Amsoil's precharger setup mount without having to use their dual bypass system? Again...outstanding report...a report that truly mirrors the advertisement for the 0w30 oil.

The prelube pump actually makes oil changes easier. I unscrew the hollow drain plug (which is easy because it's a swivel AN fitting) and turn the pump on for about a minute. This is a diaphragm pump so it pumps air, purging much of the oil out of the filters and lines. So when I unscrew the two filters, there are no drips.

When I first installed the system I used a 10W-30, but switched over to Amsoil 0W-30 since it made more sense with this setup - 0W-30 gets pressure faster with the prelube pump, it's less prone to set off the engine's pressure relief valve (remember that the biasing valve on the BMK-13 unit increases backpressure at the oil pump).

Indymac and Reddog are right - The F20C engine tends to burn more oil than most engines, and my rate is on the low side compared to most drivers.

Oil consumption doesn't seem out of line, especially since this is in an engine designed to redline @ 8900 RPMs. Considering that most engines out there won't even touch 7K RPMs I don't think there is a fair comparison available.

slalom44 - Excellent UOA, thanks for sharing it.

Clark

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back