Front power windows won't work

Status
Not open for further replies.
I haven't had the need to roll down my windows until we went to a parking garage and I couldn't pay the attendant through the window. The front power windows won't go down, but I can the hear the motor trying to push them up when I push the up button.

The back windows work just fine. Anyone have experience with this or if I can maybe fix it myself without spending $$$ at the stealership?

FWIW, the PT Cruiser has all its window switches in the center console above the HVAC controls. One circuit location for all of them.

It sounds like something has broken between the motor and the window. All that monkey motion claptrap between the motor and the window is called the regulator.

If you can take the door panel off and put it back on without destroying it (not always easy) you should be able to replace whatever isn't working. Take a look to see what's broken before you start buying parts. It could be a broken regulator, something that just came lose (let's hope), a stripped motor drive gear, or ???

Try Google and PT Cruiser forums to find out what others have done. I doubt you are the first with this problem
grin2.gif

Is it possible they are on different circuits or circuit breakers?

Just because the switches are together doesn't mean there are not separate feed circuits for the front and back windows.

Replace them. I tore out my broken power windows completely and installed cranks. They're never going to fail again.

There is a plastic drive chain inside the door. It's probably stripped out. Usually doesn't happen on something that new though. If you are handy you can replace them yourself, but it is a little tricky.

If he can hear the motors working, then the only thing central to both (switch) is functioning properly.

Maybe he just uses the fronts more than the backs?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back