VOA on "New" Silver Cap M1 15w50

Status
Not open for further replies.
Here's a VOA provided by CTC Analytical Services of Phoenix, AZ and reported in a recent issue of Full Throttle magazine:

Silicon: M1 15W-50: 9ppm
Boron: M1 15W-50: 228ppm
Sodium: M1 15W-50: 13ppm
Magnesium: M1 15W-50: 43ppm
Calcium: M1 15W-50: 2464ppm
Phosphorus: M1 15W-50: 1193ppm
Zinc: M1 15W-50: 1315ppm
Molybdenum: M1 15W-50: 90ppm

It has some titties on it, doesn't it?
In addition to the intended usage, it should make a good thickener to add to M1 10W-30 if someone wants a custom viscosity grade while also increasing ZDDP and boron.

So why all the fuss about flat tapett engine problems with the newer oils? Wouldn't this be fine to use? Seems pretty stout to me....The Porsche guys are spending hours upon hours dissecting oils to find the Holy Grail....

Originally Posted By: oliver88
So why all the fuss about flat tapett engine problems with the newer oils? Wouldn't this be fine to use? Seems pretty stout to me....The Porsche guys are spending hours upon hours dissecting oils to find the Holy Grail....

Yes, it would work fine. In fact, Mobil formulated it specifically for high-performance, flat-tappet engines.
Problem is it only costs about $4 a quart, and too many people equate mo money with mo betta. If Mobil had tacked a $12 per qt price tag on it the stores wouldn't be able to keep it on the shelves...

From Mobil's website:
"Mobil 1 15W-50 is formulated with SuperSyn, an extra-high viscosity synthetic fluid, plus extra anti-wear additive to provide extra protection for severe service applications such as towing, hauling and racing. Mobil 1 15W-50 is recommended for high performance vehicles including turbocharged and supercharged engines where a thicker oil film is desired.

Mobil 1 15W-50 is also recommended for older valve train designs that may benefit from a higher level of anti-wear normally not required for newer generation vehicles. Mobil 1 15W-50 will also provide better anti-wear protection for higher valve spring tensions in certain racing engines."

Originally Posted By: Lost1
Problem is it only costs about $4 a quart, and too many people equate mo money with mo betta. If Mobil had tacked a $12 per qt price tag on it the stores wouldn't be able to keep it on the shelves...

Shuuhh.... don't give them any ideas.

But seriously, judging from the VOA alone it's a healthy oil, and one of the few remaining off the shelf oils available these days with decent ZDDP levels.
Hopefully, Mobil won't tinker around with the formula.
spankme2.gif

Originally Posted By: Rock_Hudstone

But seriously, judging from the VOA alone it's a healthy oil, and one of the few remaining off the shelf oils available these days with decent ZDDP levels.

The numbers for the Phosphorus are right on target with what M-1 shows on their web site (which was updated on 12/18/07): M-1 Specs. I'd be running this in the Corvair this coming cruising season, but I'm giving Amsoil AME 15w-40 a try for this year's OCI. April seems like years away....
smirk2.gif

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back