Ultimate Oil Additive (1995 BMW M3, 137,110 & GC)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well, here is the long awaited "Ultimate Oil Boost" additive UOA.

6.5 Quarts of GC + 1 can BGMOA + 1 bottle VSOT + 1 can LM MoS2

3/4 quart makeup was straight GC. Shouldn't there be more goodies in the sable (Moly or ZDDP or something?)

From right to left:

OCI 1 (GC Green)
OCI 2 (GC Green + LM Ceratec)
OCI 3 (LM Vollsynthese 5W-40)
OCI 4 (GC Green + BG MOA + VSOT + LM) MoS2

Current OCI will be 6,000 miles with LM Vollsynthese 0W-40

NOTE: Gas mileage increased to 22.6 MPG (from 22 - this has never happened) - No long/ non ordinary trips BTW.

oilreportsty3.jpg

Last edited:
""Shouldn't there be more goodies in the sable (Moly or ZDDP or something?)"'
I do not know the additives you used but looks like all that is up is Moly perhaps the additives are only polymer since the vis is also up.
bruce

Yeah ..phos ..zinc ..just about everything aside from moly is flat across all four..boron was leftovers from the 3rd OCI (I'm speculating).

I would have expected you to have additive levels in the 1000's ppm. The VSOT alone probably bumped your visc of the already heavy 30 weight.

Someone was putting their finger on the scale when they were making the batches of all the bottles that you bought.
grin2.gif

They didn't say what the UA was based on ..but reads at the lower end of the single digit scale can't be bad.

Last edited:
What I see is that OCI 3 with LM Vollsynthese 5W-40 alone looks better than OCI 4 with the GC strange brew. I am interested to see the UOA on your current fill and Blackstone's comments for OCI 3. Why are you not taking the LM Vollsynthese OCI's out to 4k or 5k? With so little wear and good properties, I would. It might have been because of the heat of the summer, but GC didn't look that great even when mixed with additives.

Gary, UA is based on 6200 Miles. Magnesium also appears to be higher. Could the low numbers be lab error?

Prof, so far LM 5W40 had the best UOA even vs GC alone. The GC's with additives appear to be better than GC alone. (to see comments on the previous UOA's search for my postings, they are all on here)

after the current OCI with LM 0W40, I will do a fresh OCI with GC only to see if wear metals go back up (as the initial OCI was done after an ARX rinse phase).

Last edited:
Next time throw in a bottle of STP and a bottle of Hiltons Hyperlube - that otta git er good and thick fur ya.

I appreciate your blending.
55.gif
I was hoping for more of a "Wow" factor. Is the 1 bottle of VSOT the 15 oz. size? Not a bad UOA, just wanted more...

I like to experiment, FWIW I just wanted to share various data with BITOG as it has provided me with lots of information, as well as 'prove' to myself that additives don't really do anything.

Pablo, I agree. In fact, I had previously run dino valvoline 20w50 for >60% of the vehicles life (I've had it since 2 mi on the odo) with no issues - why should there be.

Sprintman, I may do a UOA on Castrol TWS 10W60 :)

Dman, yes 15oz bottle of VSOT (silver bottle), I thought th ppm's on more than moly would go up (especially wsince I used 3 packs of additives).

Note: the fill on this car is 6.9 quarts, and I overfill to about 7.5 - top mark on the dipstick)

BTW, I picked up 2 bottles of LM Motorprotect for $1 each (retail ~$20) so I will do a UOA with that as well.

I probably should do some UOA's with another brand 40W oil, as GC may be fine, my car just may like 40W's (10W40 and 20W50 were the original specs, BMW now says 5W30, but so far the 30W has performed the least).

Last edited:
Note: I got into this whole experimenting thing because in my google search for "best oil" I kept getting hits on Amsoil (but the marketing is horrible with the spam hits,etc - not bashing it, it is in my 06 vette! My uncle (a chemist who did work for Mobil) recommended extended drains and Amsoil 20+ years ago)

[censored], I may have to do some UOA's with Amsoil 5w-40 :) this is gonna take forever.

The other hits I was getting said German Castrol. I immediately (and stupidly) went out and bought 100 quarts (ended up with only 15 green) searching for the green elixir. So, I decided to start the UOA's to see what appeared best for my application.

Last edited:
In regards to the VSOT, I thought the same as you. I'm using 2-15oz bottles in my blend, and since its OC time, I went to buy some more, and they're (Valvoline through NAPA) selling it in a 32oz bottle now. Maybe a double dose of the VSOT with the 5w-30, will give you those good 40w results. Just thinking aloud...

Shouldn't need VSOT to get results as good as a straight oil! Should be better! I did get better gas mileage, I have to calculate whether 3% improvement is worth the price of all of those additives (I doubt it).

NOTE: I just realized, OCI 4 should be GC GOLD + the additives.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back