Any Filter Better Than Others For Artic Start-ups?

Status
Not open for further replies.
LOL.gif
Ok, not artic, but for outdoor vehicles, in upper Wisconsin this winter.

I plan on Mobil 1 0-20, even though both cars use a bit of oil (Ford Police Interceptor/Saturn SL1). I usually use either Pure One or WIX, for both cars.

However, a buddy that does a lot of racing, told me that up there, gearheads like to use K&N oil filters, even on their street vehicles, because they flow oil quicker. Is that true at start-up as well
21.gif
Also, he said that in the winter at start-up, there is increased pressure spike at start-up on a dead-cold motor, and the K&N has a superior canister.

Considering the filters go for about $12, I was curious if it was worth the cost every winter?

Thanks for the thoughts!
thankyou2.gif

Wix and Pure One are among the best. No need to spend 2x to 3x more money for K&N for marginally improved flow, if any. A downside to improved flow is less filtering.

Any pressure spike will just open the bypass valve if the media isn't flowing well enough.
I would be more concerned with a silicone rubber ADBV. You don't want the oil draining back out of the filter before your cold start up.
IF the filter is doing its job, how dirty would any bypassed oil be?

I highly doubt the K&N would flow faster at startup, I'd say the ADBV would be the biggest factor in cold starting. I was in Wisconsin this winter and started up my car with Amsoil 5W30 and an Amsoil filter and it started in one crank, so I know those work great! :) Personally I'd think that a Pureone or a Napa Gold would work just as good, especially since they use silicon ADBVs.

Last edited:
Id guess that you want a high quality ADBV, and as open a filter media and pleating profile as possible, to minimize the parasitics of oil pumping, and maximize the flow of oil when cold.

Which one does that??? not sure.

JMH

If the filter is full, then you're basically in a kinetic situation with oil flow. Much depends on now fast the static mass of the "oil column" can accelerate to whatever the pump is delivering in output. If all things are "normal" the media should have "fractionally marginal" (is that redundant?) impact on anything. If the pump has no trouble pumping it's full output to the engine without going into relief (important- often ignored factoid) ..then you're getting 100% flow to the engine. Can't happen any other way. If, OTOH, you've got heavy static mass that cannot accelerate to the pump output level, then the pump will be in relief ..and you may reach the bypass valve threshold in pressure differential. If you have larger empty oil passages, then you can see a delay to (peak) pressure. This delay is the difference in between the time to pressure at 100% pump output and the time to pressure at the that flow rate reduced by the percentage that the bypass valve represents in MAX opening threshold. That is, 100 psi @ 1 gpm. 15psid bypass ...min flow rate at startup (it's a curve ..so be forgiving in critique) ..85% flow minimum (naturally, if your peak is 50psi with the same 15psid bypass- then the % is lower). THIS statement is ONLY referring to what the filter can alter. Naturally, if you've got a super heavy mass of oil, it too will represent higher developed back pressure between the pump and the filter to the point of relief as it views it (just getting it there or attempting to move it). This will cause additional "tire spinning" before the pump stops doing its burn out and connects the flow applied with the flow in motion.

Originally Posted By: Merkava_4
I'm thinking you're not going to have a flow problem at all with any filter if you plan on running 0W-20.
shocked2.gif

I agree. With 0W-20 I would feel comfortable using any filter, even in the climate being discussed. I'd stick with the PureOne.

Nice explanation Gary A.

I think you'll be fine with your filter options. Though it may be less of an issue with running 0w-20, not quite arctic temps, and hopefully being light footed until the oil warms and becomes less viscous, burst strength is another "extreme" factor. Sometimes though a story comes around where a filter just blows-off it mount!! Not to scare you, it's just another example of EXTREMES.

You'll be fine.

Take care.

Something with a synthetic media- there are a couple for diesel, but gas I am uncertain- probably Amsoil.

Yes, the Amsoil synthetic medium could provide significantly better flow on start-up. It is not simply a "full oil filter or stasis" situation. With paper pulp having so much of its chemistry composing water, when the filter medium becomes cold soaked at below even 32F, the water molecules can begin freezing and expanding, as only water does when frozen. The expansion fills voids, and thus potential significant filter medium restriction even beyond what paper normally does.
With a synthetic medium (Amsoil EaO), the medium is completel unaffected by cold temperatures and flows as if 85 degrees...
George Morrison, STLE CLS

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back