redline 10w40 7k OCI 95 BMW M3

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is posted for Speedy 1

bmwb.jpg

Also virgin oil report
Blackstonebmwvirgc.jpg

Message from Speedy1: First mobil 1 0/40 is good oil and i started using it when i purchased my 1995 BMW M3 when it was 2 years old with 46,000 miles on it. I used mobil 1 5/30 & 15/50 depending on the season. I switched to 0/40 when it became availble. The blackstone report includes my last 4 reports red line 10/40 castrol 0/30 [german-gold] mobil 1 0/40-15/50 a 50 50 mix and mobil 1 0/40 this oil sample was the only sample not used when i tracked the car at mid-ohio sports car course. The motor has 184,230 it is modified to 275-280 horsepower, everything but cams. Before we changed over to red line oil we opened the motor for the very first time to change the valve cover gasket. Mobil 1 cleans and cleans and cleans. No sludge no varnish and my technician spent 20 min. with a flash light as was very impressed with the cleanliness and he could not see any visible wear on cams or any where else. Now many people complain about high wear metals in there first oil analysis reports when switching over to Red Line oil. That couldnt more wrong, just look at my report. If you start with a clean motor as i did after using Mobil 1 for the last 125,000 miles your first Red line report wont disapoint. Mobil 1 is good but in this motor Red line is excellent. To all BMW owners one side benefit of using Red line 10/40 almost all the chain noise from my VANOS unit is gone and it didnt stop with Mobil 1 0/40 or 15/50. I had enen replaced the lower chain tensioner with no improvement.So i would suggest anyone with high wear metals in there first Red line oil reports might consider the inside of their motors might not be as clean inside as they would have liked. and the Red line oil may truly be cleaning out all the gunk in side your motor.Just look at my report it speaks for itself. I dont think you can go wrong with either oil but the Red line oil i believe is even better. at least in my 1995 BMW M3. Speedy1

Oil usage should have shown 1 and a 1/2 quarts for castrol at 4973 miles. Previous run on 50 / 50 mix mobil 1 started out at 8 quarts, i over fill by 1 quart when car is on road course. Oil for oil change at 3100 miles was not used when i was on the track. My 1995 BMW M3 uses about 1 quart every 3500 miles of of mostly medium to high speed driving, which also includes aprox. 200 miles on the track. When i purchased the car with 46,000 miles it used about 1&1/2 to 2 quarts every 4000 miles of mobil 1. My oil changes were done at 4000 miles most of the time until i did some oil testing and realized i didnt need to change it that soon. The oil change with Red Line was my first oil change ever over 5000 miles.I now drive this vehicle aprox. 7000 miles a year so it looks like 1 oil change just before i put the car away for the winter works just fine. Tony/ speedy1

Last edited:
The UOA looks good. The VOA showing 0.3% Insolubles is alarming though. I'd do another VOA to see if it was a fluke. If it's correct, I'd consider not using the oil anymore. For free, you could show the VOA to Redline and ask them what's going on.

I did send a sample back to red line and they sent me back the test results from the lab they use, the oil tested fine. A fluke or a mistake on blackstones part i dont know,It very unlikely that the virgin sample had 0.3 parts insolubles since the used sample only had only 0.4 insolubles after 7001 miles of use. This number is also in line with 0.3 insolubles on both of my last two oil changes. The oil im sure based on the previous numbers was fine out of the bottle, i think blackstone made a mistake. You cant argue with how low all the wear metals show after 7001 miles 200 of which were on track using 7100 rpm shift point. speedy1

I called blackstone labs about the virgin oil sample of Redline 10/40 they tested. They said insolubles were probably addatives fallen out of suspension, possibly oil sat on shelf for a long time. Blackstone was nice enough to offer to retest another sample that i just purchased through a different supplier. I will post results soon. Tony

I track my car too.......http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/images/icons/default/thumbs_up.gif

So you like the redline 10-40 better than Mobil1 15-50 (new version) ???

I have the Mobil0-40 right now because it got too cold to start car with the 15-50....I would get low oil pressure indicator for a couple of seconds

But I'm not real comfortable going to the track (soon) with the 0-40

So I was either going to try the Redline 10-40 or get the Mobil 5-40 or 10-40 and add a bottle of ZDDP

What do you think????

Hello, I think you would be very satisfied with the the red line oil. You can do 5/40 or 10/40. When i called red line they suggested that i stay with the 10/40 for my 1995 bmw M3.I see your in cal. the 10/40 will be fine. It also has a higher film strenght than mobil 1 15/50.My oil analysis included about 240 miles of all out track driving. Tony

Originally Posted By: speedy 1
Hello, I think you would be very satisfied with the the red line oil. You can do 5/40 or 10/40. When i called red line they suggested that i stay with the 10/40 for my 1995 bmw M3.I see your in cal. the 10/40 will be fine. It also has a higher film strenght than mobil 1 15/50.My oil analysis included about 240 miles of all out track driving. Tony

Thanks Tony

I think I would be more comfortable using the Redline which already has good levels of ZDDP than trying to add the ZDDP additive to the Mobil1. Especially considering that this motor is using oil and goes thru at least a quart at the track. So make up will deplete the ZDDP levels. Plus that stuff is expensive and the price per quart adding it to Mobil comes out close the redline price.

Incase you are interested.....here are some links to my last track day with my incar vid setup. The track is Willow Springs International. There is a short clip of a Porche spinning out in front of me that is a classic. Top speed I hit there is 143 mph.

DH

http://www.corvettekillstories.com/photogallery/albums/DirtyHowie/CKS-Dirty_Howie/Spinout.mov

http://www.corvettekillstories.com/photogallery/albums/DirtyHowie/CKS-Dirty_Howie/redspinout.mov

http://www.corvettekillstories.com/photogallery/albums/DirtyHowie/CKS-Dirty_Howie/Tag_with_Paul.mov

http://s20.photobucket.com/albums/b219/DirtyHowie/?action=view&current=trackcompressed-A.flv

http://s20.photobucket.com/albums/b219/DirtyHowie/?action=view&current=trackcompressed-B.flv

http://www.clipplay.com/play-13994-M...o Wreck.html (this is what can happen at the track ..... it is the same track as my videos)

Originally Posted By: saaber1
This is posted for Speedy 1

Before we changed over to red line oil we opened the motor for the very first time to change the valve cover gasket. Mobil 1 cleans and cleans and cleans. No sludge no varnish and my technician spent 20 min. with a flash light as was very impressed with the cleanliness and he could not see any visible wear on cams or any where else. Now many people complain about high wear metals in there first oil analysis reports when switching over to Red Line oil. That couldnt more wrong, just look at my report. If you start with a clean motor as i did after using Mobil 1 for the last 125,000 miles your first Red line report wont disapoint. Mobil 1 is good but in this motor Red line is excellent. To all BMW owners one side benefit of using Red line 10/40 almost all the chain noise from my VANOS unit is gone and it didnt stop with Mobil 1 0/40 or 15/50.
Speedy1

It all makes sense since redline is a cleaning oil and there was nothing to clean then there was no sign of goo in the uoa.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back