2004 BMW X3 2.5 Mobil 1 0W-40 8385 Miles

Status
Not open for further replies.
Here's the issue. I've performed a UOA at 40229 miles(9378 on oil)and at 56177(8385 miles on oil). In both cases Blackstone reported that everything was close to universal averages except for lead, which was 22 ppm in both samples(the universal average is 6 ppm). TBN was low on both samples as well; 1.4 for the first test and 0.4 for the second.
So... Any thoughts, questions, or rude remarks?

As requested:

Mi on Oil(Unit) 8385(56177) 9378(40229) Universal Avg.

ALUMINUM 4 4 3
CHROMIUM 0 0 0
IRON 19 18 10
COPPER 6 6 8
LEAD 22 22 6
TIN 2 1 1
MOLYBDENUM 70 64 81
NICKEL 0 1 0
MANGANESE 1 1 1
SILVER 0 0 0
TITANIUM 0 0 0
POTASSIUM 1 0 2
BORON 77 100 57
SILICON 9 6 4
SODIUM 5 6 4
CALCIUM 2564 2364 2537
MAGNESIUM 12 13 113
PHOSPHORUS 754 676 803
ZINC 901 811 971
BARIUM 0 0 0

Should Be
SUS Viscosity @ 210°F 68 65-76 72.8
cST Viscosity @ 100°C 12.42 11.6-14.8 13.70
Flashpoint in °F 385 >375 375
Fuel % Antifreeze % 0 0 0
Water% 0 TBN 0.4 1.4

Thanks. The solids are up and the TBN is shot.

Wear is fairly consistent. And aside from the lead not too bad (I tend to think Fe is high as well)

The other fellows are asking the questions for a Pb source.

I think in Kentucky you should give 5W-40 a shot.

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
What kind of gasoline are you using (brand and grade)? Do you use any fuel additives such as Techron?

Either BP, Chevron, or Marathon premium. And no fuel additives.

Quote:

I know; I expected a BMW Longlife 01 oil would last a bit longer. After all, if I was going by the truck's service interval indicator the oil wouldn't be changed for @15,000 miles.

Quote:
And aside from the lead not too bad (I tend to think Fe is high as well)

I can't understand that either. The truck doesn't see many short trips or significant stop and go driving.

It has nothing to do with it being a 0w-40. You're using one of the best oils on the market. I'd consider using Dyson Analysis for this one.

Originally Posted By: buster
It has nothing to do with it being a 0w-40. You're using one of the best oils on the market. I'd consider using Dyson Analysis for this one.

BMW calls for 5W-30 in this one, no?
Quote:
To prevent potential engine damage, use only BMW
High Performance Synthetic Oil part No 07 51 0 017 866 or
equivalent. Refer to engine compartment oil change decal.

Well, I dunno maybe a stout synthetic 10W-40 or 15W-40 would be better
LOL.gif
I'm NOT pointing fingers at the M1, but I am saying a more shear stable oil, might actually keep the Pb and Fe numbers down. Honestly in Kentucky a stable synthetic 10W-40 may be OK if you want the higher viscosity.

I see what you're getting at with the VII's. I don't know, it could be. Tbn though just doesn't make sense. Way to low for the miles. I have no idea but could Pb and Tbn suggest it's another problem? Tbn is 12 on this oil.

Hi,
MCompact - as you are aware BMW call for either of a 0w-30, 0w-40 or 5w-40 viscosity lubricant(via Castrol Germany)

It is extremely unwise to go beyond a 5W-40 viscosity lubricant (such as a 10w-40 or a 15w-40) in these engines due to the valve gear operation. It is also wise to use, as minimum, a BMW LL-01 compliant lubricant

I suggest that you stay with M1 0w-40 and take a UOA at 3k miles and see what the trend is

IMO and experience the lead is not really an issue

Regards
Doug

Originally Posted By: Pablo

Pablo, could you clarify this please, maybe I am reading this wrong, I thought on blackstone's reports the "should be" reports for insolubles and water usually are denoted with a < 0.X , correct? So if looking at his numbers for the other data it appears they results the two UOA's are on either side of the "should be" numbers? If this is the case, than aren't the insoluble numbers 0 for either UOA? I could be missing something, if I am please explain, thanks.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: NissanFan

Pablo, could you clarify this please, maybe I am reading this wrong, I thought on blackstone's reports the "should be" reports for insolubles and water usually are denoted with a < 0.X , correct? So if looking at his numbers for the other data it appears they results the two UOA's are on either side of the "should be" numbers? If this is the case, than aren't the insoluble numbers 0 for either UOA? I could be missing something, if I am please explain, thanks.

Now that you point that out, I may have misread it. I assume Blackstone's reports are always <0.5 as the "limit", so when I read 0.6, I just thought it was the actual value. Perhaps mcompact can clarify what the report says.

I'm pretty darn sure in the USA the callout for this engine is 5W-30.

In Europe BMW specs an LL-01 oil. The US owners manual calls for API SH or better and either viscosities of 5W-30 or 5W-40. I asked BMW NA what I could use in place of the BMW/Castrol 5w-30 oil and they suggested Castrol Syntec 5W-30, Mobil 1 5W-30, and Valvoline Synpower 5W-30- none of which have LL-01 approval. With Mobil 1 0W-40 having LL-01 approval I find it hard to believe that the TBN is so low after just 8000 miles- and I can't see that using a 0W-40 oil instead of a 5W-XX could be the culprit. Right now I think I'll get a UOA at 4000 miles and go from there. My next step might be to give Rotella T 5W-40 a try...

Originally Posted By: MCompact
I'm pretty darn sure in the USA the callout for this engine is 5W-30.

In Europe BMW specs an LL-01 oil. The US owners manual calls for API SH or better and either viscosities of 5W-30 or 5W-40. I asked BMW NA what I could use in place of the BMW/Castrol 5w-30 oil and they suggested Castrol Syntec 5W-30, Mobil 1 5W-30, and Valvoline Synpower 5W-30- none of which have LL-01 approval. With Mobil 1 0W-40 having LL-01 approval I find it hard to believe that the TBN is so low after just 8000 miles- and I can't see that using a 0W-40 oil instead of a 5W-XX could be the culprit. Right now I think I'll get a UOA at 4000 miles and go from there. My next step might be to give Rotella T 5W-40 a try...

Interesting comments from BMW NA. Did they put that in writing?

Again I'm not ragging on the 0W-40, I'm just saying there are options out there. I am well aware of the LL-01 callout.

SH? Wow - in a 2004 rig. Hmm.....

Lastly - what was the actual reported solids %?

Thanks for posting!

Interesting comments from BMW NA. Did they put that in writing?

Again I'm not ragging on the 0W-40, I'm just saying there are options out there. I am well aware of the LL-01 callout.

SH? Wow - in a 2004 rig. Hmm.....

Lastly - what was the actual reported solids %?

Thanks for posting!

Yes, I have the email from BMW NA regarding their oil recommendations.

The SH advice gave me pause as well.

Finally, I'm sorry for the bad format at the end of the report, but solids were 0 in both UOAs.

And thank you for your advice and suggestions!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back